• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold weather starting

roscoe

I got 1 out of 3 to start today with the flame heater. I think I'm going to get a manifold heater. Anyone have experience with the magnetic heater? For cheapness sake, I want one I can move to the truck I plan to use that day.

coolnick73

I have the manifold heater and am not sure it is functioning correctly. I tried cranking it for awhile with the heater and nothing. A quick squirt of ether and it started right up.

We had a blizzard yesterday and I thought it would be fun to drive to the hardware store, and it was. :-D

WyoDeuce

I have a magnetic heater that gets mixed results. Fine on my jeeps and ok on the deuce if it's not too cold. If it is real cold or windy the magnetic heater just doesn't cut it. It gets hot enough that you can't touch it but with the huge oil capacity on the deuce you probably need 2 or 3. I think that I will switch to a screw in heater like westfolk has for sale. I fired my deuce up today at 15 degrees using a charger to help out the batteries and a weed burner in a stovepipe for heat. I read about the weed burner here on SS and I really like it because it doesn't require electricity. 15 minutes with a tarp around the front of the deuce and it was finally turning over fast enough to start. I have the ether injection and it needed it to start. It was -1 last night so the truck was frozen up pretty good.

tsmall07

What do you guys think about oil pan heaters that stick to the bottom of the pan? I would think that would be really good for an engine that has issues with oiling on startup to begin with.

WyoDeuce

There is a good thread from sasquatch santa where he has 2 oil pan heaters on a truck. You can't use a salamander or a torch if you have them but you shouldn't need to if electricity is nearby.

Blacksmoke

My flame heater was inop when I got the truck, so I got it working right away. However, it is not needed at all on my truck, at least down to 20 degrees. I try not to even start it when it's colder than that unless I really need it.

roscoe

Gee, for $5.01 more you can a 600 watt delivered to you. Check the classifieds.
I didn't check the shipping on that thing, but I'm thinking it will end up be about the same or more than putting the 600 watt on the truck. True, the block heater I sell is not movable from truck to truck. I question how much 300 watt would do stuck to the side.
I know you got one Westfolk and I've been considering it. I am trying to conserve funds and wanted something for all 3 trucks. You will probably be getting an order from me if it stays this cold though.:-D

dabtl

It was 19 yesterday morning here. The deuce did not start. I did not try to start it. Too cold to be fooling around with toys.:-D

Farmun

What do you guys think about oil pan heaters that stick to the bottom of the pan? I would think that would be really good for an engine that has issues with oiling on startup to begin with.
Several years ago, we put these on two fire trucks that have Cat engines. Even though they don't get much below 55 degrees in the stations, they need/have to run just after start up. There's no time for warm-up, when the call comes in. Before we put these heaters on, they wouldn't half run for the first few miles. They made a huge difference - low smoke on startup, and both get up to speed as expected.

But these heat pads stay plugged in all the time, (along with the battery maintainer, and air lines). I guess the oil pan has never really cooled off since they were installed. It's easier for these pads to keep warm oil - warm, than to warm up cold oil.

saddamsnightmare

December 11th, 2009.

My deuce, "Saddam's Nightmare" is currently in the cold start limbo, but I have it pinned down to either the starter solenoid (on the starter itself) and/or the starter relay. It will start as 32*F and above, it won't usually even crank at 31*F and below. The batteries are less the 1-1/2 year old new ordnances (6UT or TL), new starter pushbutton, runs like a champ except when its that cold. Flame heater on manifold does make a difference in starting, but once the bugs are shot out of her, should I move to a colder climate the truck will be kept indoors with a hot water heater unit on the engine.
American diesels were never well designed to deal with winter, but I had a Deutz FL912 4 cylinder air cooled that would start at -30*F without ether and oil pan heat. It was fitted for both systems at the factory and did have them.... it just never needed them. I guess after the Moscow campaign in WWII German engineers understand winter happens....!
We need to get our engines to be able to do that also.....

Just my .02 worth.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

Bigmillman

5degrees. Tried the manifold heater. Will sputter and run. -22degrees either in the intake and vroom. I will install a block heater this spring and a either kit. I don't like trashing batteries and starters.
I thought dueces had to turn over at least 800 rpm to kick? Mine does.

SasquatchSanta

My thermometer said 22 below this morning. After being plugged in all night I gave Rosie a shot of tequila sunrise (ether) and she woke like it was the 4th of July. No sooner than the EGT on pyro got up to 300 she said "Hey Ern --- let's go somewhere --- West Texas is nice this time of year --- how about Fox Trot Nova Scotia --- I don't care where we go --- I just want to gooooo somewhere".

I love that truck :-D

neb4x4

I have a Intake Heater on my 71. It always.... works great.... I also have a block heater that I installed last winter. I live in Eastern Nebraska. Don't know if anyone paid attention to the weather this week... (mainly Monday-Thursday 12-6 to 12-11) But where I live we got approx 13-14 inches of snow. So I thought it would be neat to drive the Deuce to work. Well I leave it pluged in at home. At work those days sitting for 9 hours in approx -5 to 10 DEG temps... WELL..... it started. And I made it home :-D. But it wasnt a happy M35 when called upon to start, and took some time. BUT IT DID WHAT ITS SUPPOST TO DO! :wink:

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love the propane torch in the intake idea. Much better than a flaming rag soaked in diesel like I learned on the farm as a kid. I already use the torch to light cigars so always have one handy.

Bet a weed burner in the intake would work Really Good :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks