• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Color of convoy lights

BlondeGuy

Most convoy lights I have seen are amber but do see blue from time to time on MP jeeps and other vehicles.

What are the legalities of convoy lights and their us in parades or just riding the roads.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In most states, any blue lights are forbidden. Here in FL it doesn't matter if they are illuminated or not, they are illegal.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In NY, Blue Lights in the front are for volunteer firefighters. In the rear, they are for FD/PD.

Check with your DMV office for your states laws.. They are all different.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In most states, any blue lights are forbidden. Here in FL it doesn't matter if they are illuminated or not, they are illegal.
Ditto in NC. State Trooper buddy of mine is on the hunt for a security car with blue lights mounted on top. Illegal to posses in NC.

papakb

Here in California red lights are used on fire vehicles and red/blue are used on police vehicles. I wouldn't advise their use for convoy lights. Amber flashers are in use on utility trucks, tow trucks, and safety vehicles. We run them when we convoy and have never had issues with the CHP.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Kazakhstan, a blue light in the bedroom window means your "eligible".

In Kmart it means a sale item.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In NY - and I'm sure other states due to the federal nature of CDL, FMCSA, DoT laws etc., rotating beacons/flashing lights are to be used in recovery operations by stationary wreckers - at scene of accident etc., but must be turned off when joining the traffic again - with or without vehicle in tow... UNLESS said vehicle in tow is over width or slow moving (as well as having remote trailer lights). Equally, oversize loads up to a certain weight need solid amber rear lights or flashing if over that limit.

However - as far as 'tow trucks' or pickups with tow dollies, most people seem to get away without trailer lights if useing the beacons.

They are really to advise other road users that you are a hazard, above and beyond your usual lights advising of your presence or intentions...

The rest of NATO calls convoy lights, the 'blackout' lights that only illuminate a white patch of paint, under the rear of the vehicle or trailer, painted diff etc., so only visible by a close follower and the feable little lamps up front.

I think as far as parades go, "anything goes", even Stars n bars tied to a horses butt, (that's another story). It would take a really miffed trooper who was DoT certified to have a prob with amber beacons in regular use.....

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adding to what PapaKB said, here in California on civi vehicles, blue lights of any kind, to the front or rear are a no go. This includes blue dots. Red is a no go to the front of the vehicle. I run a pair of amber rotators with a traffic advisor on my M1009. For shows/events I swap to the blue and red. I wish Federal Signal would make some green domes for the Model 14/100 lights. Amber and green would be a unique combo?:driver:

Last edited:

Stan Leschert

As per Mil Spec, and most state laws, Amber is the color. Warning .....
Blue is for Police and in Eastern Canada , snow plows.

The concoy light kit is available on E-Pay, and the prices are usually way cheaper than I could get off the shelf prices from NAPA. The wiring and posts are the most valuable. Any winky Doink light will work. Do a search for Convoy Lights on this site.

The hard work has already been done for you.

cjcottrill

Yellow is for convoy/warning, red fire/police, blue,-LEO, around here green is only used by the Atomic Plant. When you see a green light coming, it's usually not a good thing.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the color thing is being discussed, here's what is reserved in FL. Blue is LEO, red is FD and LEO, green is used for scene command posts and also some security companies and believe it or not, purple is designated for funeral processions. Amber is pretty universal throughout.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since we are putting our respective states in-

Texas- All colours other than amber are for emergency vehicles. This includes green and white. It is illegal to be equipped with these lights if the vehicle is not an emergency vehicle, as in you can't have them even if you never turn them on (security guards, take note!).
Hazard flashers may be red to the rear, so long as they flash together and do not alternate (they must light at the same time, and go dark at the same time, no left-right-left-right action).
Amber may be used as a warning on any vehicle, though there are special rules that apply to wreckers.

Exceptions-
school buses may have one white strobe; and red flashing lights when children are boarding/unloading;
postal delivery vehicles may have one white strobe;
vehicles owned by the State Highway Department can use blue and amber. This does not include contractors (they get nailed all the time for having blue and white flashers).

And to those who say "But Bubba has..... on his ....." Just because you see some folks doing it does not mean it's legal!

Cheers

Last edited: