• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

color of cucv dash and doors

KansasBobcat

Asking for opinions. My first M1009. Dash is black, replaced by previous owner. Door panels faded burgundy, as are seats. Going to redo doors. Window seals are shot, etc. Thinking about spraying door panels black to match the dash. Have Jatonka OD seat covers so their color is not an issue. Not planning on entering any car shows (after last experience!) Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please clarify. Opinions for what? We all have opinions about something. ;-)

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Burgundy is the official color , but if you are not concerned about keeping it "original" , it's your ride , so what ever looks good to you . Black would be good , especially if you are going "OD" with your seat covers . BTW , what happened at the "CAR SHOW" , you have got to tell us the story on that ! LOL

KansasBobcat

Car show story: Entered restored M998 HMMWV and M1101 trailer. Got no mention. Learned later that older was better, not rare, condition, etc. San Antonio is military town and military HMMWVs are often seen. Probably would not win with LMTV!

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya , I could see that , when you see "OD" all day long kinda looses it's luster ! LOL I like to go to car shows around here to drive the car people nuts ! , Guy just spent 50 G's on his hot rod , but my rattle can paint job MV's get all the looks , go figure .

TexAndy

Linx310 did a fantastic 1009 restoration. IIRC, he dyed door panels and dash with SEM vinyl dye. Black. And used canvas seat covers from Jatonka, IIRC. Or it might have been New Life.

cucvrus

This is my inexpensive door panel restoration tip. Like it or not it works and saves cash and painted black door panels that end up getting scratched and looking poorly after a year of use. I remove the door panels and the arm rest cushions from the truck. I clean them extra well and then let them dry over night. I spray them down real good with Armor All. I let it soak real good again for a few days and soak it down again. Then I let it set again for a few more days. Then I take a clean towel and buff and clean them real well. They look really good. They have the correct patina for the year of the vehicle and will last for years after this treatment. They need very little touch up and you can use the Armor All wipes on occasion to touch them up. My opinion and experience. Other option buy new door panels.

joshuak

and painted black door panels that end up getting scratched and looking poorly after a year of use. My opinion and experience. Other option buy new door panels.
Mr CUCVRS,

My name is Joshua. I wrote and posted a picture of a door panel which I painted black. I quoted your above statement because it
refers directly to work I have done. I think the $10 and 4, 5 hours I spent on it will last more than a year, even though I used house
paint.

Does this mean only the color burgundy will work?

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?117175-Door-Panel-Paint-Source

I would ask you how you reached the conclusion that it will look poorly, but frankly I don’t care what you think.

Out of 4 threads that you commented on yesterday 3 were negative. Its a shame, because the other one you provided a helpful
solution, so obviously you have positive things to share. getting back to the others, you argue over the relationship between HP and heat, yet you don’t have time, interest,
whatever to read a full 3 paragraphs!!!!!! REALYYY?????

Then you call somebody out for not wanting to pay 3x the shipping. I don't blame him. It's a shame because I was waiting for friday's to add up and talk about your truck in the classifieds.

Then you say my suggestion won't work? I did my research, I did my prep. Granted freshly painted, I couldn't wait to drive so I jumped in and scratched the paint, so what, I cut my finger nails and touched up. Big whuppp.

Don’t get me wrong, I have found that I love a good argument about axles or differentials. But since I don’t know anything about
the subject and have not read up on it, I do not offer my opinion.

The MV hobby or addiction has offered me a break from all the other BS that happens, you know? I get to go home, turn a wench or
just look at the lady. If I’m inside thanks to technology I can go online and enjoy a community of like minded individuals. That’s
pretty cool.

If you read my build thread/post you will know that I don’t have money to throw around, yet as soon as I found how much time I spent on SS, I knew I had to step up pay my dues.
I really enjoy this site.

But you make my viewing experience less satisfying and now posting as well?

You say family is #1, what are you teaching them? Because your family at steel soldiers is not learning.

Sincerly Joshua

P.S. I tried to moderate myself for fear a being banned.

cucvrus

WOW you really called me out. That's OK I understand. I offered my opinion on this door panel subject. That's OK. I see the black over burgandy door panels pretty often. On trucks that are used they don't hold up so well. Now new black ones they work fine. I guess I don't think of a bunch of guys that I don't know as family. That is true also. I try to offer inexpensive repairs to guys that have issues. I will stop now so I don't hurt anyones feelings. Have a good trip in your truck I was not trying to offend you. This internet chat and posting makes everyone so big and tough. Have a nice day. I will be out driving my CUCV today. I will also stop posting anything on this site. Cause quite frankly I am tired of the attitudes. I was being honest and will stay that way. Have a good day.

joshuak

I tried to also emphasis the pro's of your positive posts. I clearly state who I am and where I am from, the internet does nothing for my self esteem.
I appreciate honesty and constructive criticism, that has nothing to do with the my statement. I will not be driving my CUCV today, because I am waiting for a rebuild kit for my alt. 2.
To stop posting is your decision. Your knowledge is appreciated, not so much if its not based on facts.

Good day to you as well.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about hot pink?

Tell you buds it's for Breast cancer awareness!

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW you really called me out. That's OK I understand. I offered my opinion on this door panel subject. That's OK. I see the black over burgandy door panels pretty often. On trucks that are used they don't hold up so well. Now new black ones they work fine. I guess I don't think of a bunch of guys that I don't know as family. That is true also. I try to offer inexpensive repairs to guys that have issues. I will stop now so I don't hurt anyones feelings. Have a good trip in your truck I was not trying to offend you. This internet chat and posting makes everyone so big and tough. Have a nice day. I will be out driving my CUCV today. I will also stop posting anything on this site. Cause quite frankly I am tired of the attitudes. I was being honest and will stay that way. Have a good day.
I think most all your advice is "spot on" and very useful. Speaking for my-self and probably many others, your experience and opinions are well appreciated. You should disregard those negative feedbacks and "keep posting". Don't stop just because someone is having a bad hair day.

cucvrus

Thank you for that reply. I gave it some thought and yes I try my best to help everyone. I also try to help with a tight budget it mind. I am not a negative guy. But I thank you for your support. I will try harder at not offending people but I can not please everyone. Thank you again. I will continue to help if I can. Anytime.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks