• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

colorado registration?? and Members

hardtime

Greetings,
I have a M814 and just moved to Co. I was wondering how many members are in the area (SW denver) and what it takes to tag the 5 ton in park county.
Thanks.

mactiredearg

Welcome to Colorado.

Whole bunch of folks on the south side. In fact the MVCC's main meeting location is not far from you in Sedalia at a members shop. Check out the website at mvcconline.org.

Myself, jollyroger, oldfart, etc are over north of Parker...

hardtime

Thanks for the welcome! Good to know there are SS around. I would love to hook up at the next meeting. Any info on tagging BigHoss out here? Am i in for an expensive regulated nightmare to run the beast around?

steelandcanvas

Colorado MV Registration Tips

Welcome Hardtime! The MVCC has right at 100 Members with about 300 pieces of equipment. As Mactiredearg said, we have meetings in Sedalia, not too far from you. Here is an excellent article explaining registration procedures and pitfalls. This article was written by one of our Club Members, and was published in our newsletter. To date, I have not seen anything that explains MV registration in Colorado as well as Matt did.

Attachments

Last edited:

41cl8m5

Matt saved me alot of $$$$ with his info on my M35a2. If it can be registered as a collecters truck 1975 and older your in luck. The rules can be hard to understand, the workers at the DMV have a hard time understanding them too. Hopefully You will get someone who has done it before and knows how its done, if you get with someone that has never herd about it your in for a treat...... bring popcorn and enjoy.

mactiredearg

The good thing about collectors registration in Colorado is that you only have to bother with emissions test (if your county requires it) when you first register it. As long as you keep the registration current you don't ever have to do it again.

The drawbacks are that the truck has to be 1975 or older to get collectors plates (rather than rolling age like 25 years) AND for 5 ton trucks and up you have to get the Collector Truck plate which restricts you to parades and events. Deuces and below can get the Collectors Vehicle plate and have no restrictions.

But not having to drive up to Commerce City annually for an e-test can still make the plate attractive.

Also, the MVCC got a law passed in 2010 that specifically allows former MVs that are marked and appear original to run without displaying plates. (Neither of my trucks have plates mounted on them) You still have to carry them along with the normal paperwork and present it to any LEO who asks for it. I'll try to find an e-copy of the law for you...

hardtime

Thanks to all for the welcome and info!! I am up to my eyeballs getting the new house set up and squared away, but eagerly await the day that I can take a break and enjoy my old green Iron. Right now the big beast is still down south east in Delaware at my father in laws house. It should be arriving sometime later this summer. My wife bought it for me out there when I returned from Iraq and we had a blast hauling wood and scrap metal with unrestricted temp tags. I was hoping that Co. might have a tag that I could get and not be restricted to just parade use. I have read about the nightmares of guys getting pulled over with personal goods in the back and having thier asses handed to them. We plan on a new paint job and tires so we can join in on the parades but we also would like to be able to get wood, or load up the bikes/bloodhounds and take it camping.

Thanks again to all, I will research the "Matt write up"

Lothar

Welcome to the neighborhood. I grew up in the northeast and ended up here. You are gonna love the weather difference. Although, I don't envy your winter storm trips down Crow hill. Wish I could help with the 5 ton registration. I can add that you aren't required to display your tags here in Colorado. Hope to see you in next year's parade here in Pine.[thumbzup]

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

Post #4 has been edited to reflect the correct article Matt S. wrote. I originally posted an incorrect "working copy". My apologies if this has created confusion on anyone's part.:oops:

hardtime

Thanks again to all for the welcome and info. Matts article is very informative and helpful. My 5 ton would qualify for the collector truck non com. tags as it is a 1972 model and the price is right for that limited use tag. However with that tag it still could be a "side of the highway Slaughter fest" for me to get pulled over with 10 cords of wood in the back. :whistle:
Do you guys know of any members in Co. that have 5 tons and use them for personal use stuff?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks