• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Combat Jump Bed Mount Farm Jack Bracket

combat jump

Combat Jump Bed Mount Farm Jack Bracket

I like to have a Hi-Lift jack (farm jack) with me, but hate to leave it rattling around in the bed. It fits in the cross-bed tool box, but its big, and I want to put other stuff in there.

My front grill has a PA/siren speaker and bridge plate in the way, so that was not ideal. I decided to fab up a bracket to mount the jack on the left side of the bed, which is unused space.

Some challenges are that the bed wall is double layer sheet metal, and its tough to get a nut in back of any bolt hole that's drilled into it. I started with the heavy end, and welded up a vertical support from 1x2" 0.120 wall rectangular steel tubing, that sets on top of a an 11 gauge steel plate. The plate has an additional plate of 1/4" steel welded to the back halfe, to fill the gap from the bed corrugation (see the photo). I drilled two holes for bolts that are backed with nuts underneath the bed.

I also found that the stake holder (or whatever its called) directly above the wheel well interfered with where the jack would extend, so I had to cut a few inches off of that with an angle grinder. There are also some spot welds, that I used an air chisel on. A sawzall could do the job, or even a hack saw, hammer and chisel, but it would be less fun.

The top of the main bracket (supporting the heavy end of the jack) has a six inch long 1"x1" steel angle offset from the top of the vertical piece, that sets up next to the top of the bed rail. I drilled three holes here for bolts.

I made some spacers from 1 1/4" round tubing, 0.120 wall, to hold the jack the correct distance from the brackets, and welded them around the bolts. I also made a spacer that goes under the hold down nut on the heavy end.

The light end gets a 4" piece of 2" steel angle (maybe its 3") that is drilled through the top of the wheel well. I probably did not need to, but I also tack welded it to the vertical bed wall. I welded a 1/4" piece behind the vertical piece so it would sit straight, and make contact with both horizontal and vertical areas it touched.

The paint is rattle can Gillespie desert tan. I had painted the truck with an HVLP gun, using a little more than a gallon of the stuff a few months ago, and bought a few rattle cans of the same paint then, just for touch up stuff like this.

The bolts and steel were all on hand, leftover from other projects, so I didn't have to buy a thing.

This bracket is solid! The jack does not move at all.

Tools used:

Miller 211 mig welder
DeWalt angle grinder with cutting blade (for the stake hole), grinding wheel, and 80 grit flap wheel for welds, and steel brush to remove paint.
Ancient Jet 4"x6" horizontal band saw (looks the same as the one Harbor Freight sells)
Big vise

Attachments

Oldsouthernboy

I have a m1028 with the troop seat sides, I just drilled two holes, for bolts, at the ends I added some angle iron as foot and end supports, marked and welded in place. Painted and looks real nice. I also bought a 3/4 inch deep well socket added a cheap extenson, welded on a T handle for the nuts on the bolts, carry it in the cab with the winch box.

hotdogs151a2

Mr. Combat Jump:
I have been a pipe welder for many (+30 ) years. You have what I will
never have, you are a very good fabricator. I can make things work, but I
can't see the end results until I make it which leads to strange looking
things in my scrap pile.
Thanks for the post and pictures. That is what I would call a bullet proof
jack mount, it sure looks good.
Thank you Sir and thank you for your service to our Country.
Hotdog

combat jump

Hotdogs151a2,

Thank you, Sir, for sharing your kind words. Your note made my day, and I even called my wife over to have a look.

I have learned a lot from others on these pages, and hope that my ideas can help others here.

Thank you again,

Kurt

unaffiliated

Excellent "Modication" Sir. I call it modication because you had to modify the stake pocket and you fabricated the brackets. That is why I made up the word "Modicate" a long time ago. It looks like something I would do. My compliments to you for an awesome looking jack holder set up.

HOWEY

I like it [thumbzup] , thats it im making one too, out to the shed again so....
"honey i may be some time!" haha love this site:p

combat jump

Thank you for the kind words! Not sure about production. Heck, if someone really wants one, PM me, and we'll talk. I have gotten a lot of good ideas from the members of this forum, I'm glad to be able to post something useful.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks