• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Combat Rim vs regular rim?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see the term combat rim thrown around, wth is the difference between that and regular rims on my 939A2 trucks? Sorry for the stupid question.

TheBigOldSarge

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello, I do not think that is a stupid question. As far as I know basically the run flats. They have this large hard rubber ring around the rim of the wheel. So if they are damage in anyway you can still make it out of the danger area. As far as the spec. go someone else shall answer that. They are a big "B" to change, I know that for a fact. been there done that. James

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello, I do not think that is a stupid question. As far as I know basically the run flats. They have this large hard rubber ring around the rim of the wheel. So if they are damage in anyway you can still make it out of the danger area. As far as the spec. go someone else shall answer that. They are a big "B" to change, I know that for a fact. been there done that. James
I just changed the oring on one of my M936A2 Rims, so i wanted to make sure I put the right diameter oring in there. I'm seeing there are 3/16, 1/4, 5/16 It wasn't hard at all with swan neck tire bars to pop the smaller rim off! Now if I had to get the runflat to put in a new tire out that would be a different story I'm sure. So I'm guessing all my 939A2 trucks have combat rims then?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just changed the oring on one of my M936A2 Rims, so i wanted to make sure I put the right diameter oring in there. I'm seeing there are 3/16, 1/4, 5/16 It wasn't hard at all with swan neck tire bars to pop the smaller rim off! Now if I had to get the runflat to put in a new tire out that would be a different story I'm sure. So I'm guessing all my 939A2 trucks have combat rims then?
A1 and A2 trucks have 'combat rims'.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, you should have combat wheels with bead locks, not run flats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Some use or220 tg. With 3/4" studs on the wheel. Thats a 1/4" oring. The 5/8"studs use a 3/8" black one that is in the spreadsheet LMTV wheels use OR420A its red

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

TheBigOldSarge

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check this out. from the company that makes them: reg. wheels steel / real combat rims Aluminum. and from there web site (Hutchinson Run Flat / Bead Lock. Fits 20" x 10" Rims. Use with 14.00-R20 tires HUTCHINSON INDUSTRIES 729-11_sm.v3.jpgINC. DIV D)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have a ton or more of those run flats if anyone wants them. Since its a safety issue, I'd donate them to whoever needs them.

Csm Davis

There are many different rims to be had, but the main rims you will get on a M939 series trucks will be a split ring dual wheel and a two piece combat wheel.
The combat rim is a bolt together wheel that normally has a insert inside the tire that clamps the beads tightly between the two halves of the rim when bolted together. This can be a flat ring (called a beadlock) as is normally found in most of the 14.00x20 tires on these trucks, or you can have a ring that looks like a piece of I beam cut in half and then bent into a ring (called a runflat) and not so common on these trucks. Also all runflats are beadlocks also, but all beadlocks are not runflats. All of your super single tires should be on combat rims unless you are dealing with bridge trucks or civilian trucks. The two pictures below are both combat wheels one for super single tires the other for dual wheel setup.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tobyS

Jeff, does that bolt together deuce dual wheel need a tube or does it have o-ring? aka can it run radial tubeless? Are they available or is it a rare bird?

Csm Davis

Jeff, does that bolt together deuce dual wheel need a tube or does it have o-ring? aka can it run radial tubeless? Are they available or is it a rare bird?
I believe that one is tube type but a 5 ton version is available that is tubeless. And that deuce one is rare.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mdss

Just a quick heads up for everyone who uses combat rims!! The rims that use the smaller oring such as most the 900 series you can actually stack 2 on a rim. One will seal it and the 2nd on can be stored on the rim inside the tire for future use, under the maim sealing ring without any squishing and or damage! I'm talking about the combat rims that you roll the oring over the lip. Not the bigger stud combat rim that you use the bigger oring that sits on a ledge. Have never seen anyone talk about it so thought I would toss it out there! Mods feel free to move this if need be.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks