• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Combat rims ????

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Combat Wheels

Hi all,

The wheels pictured are for the M809 series 5 ton trucks that the USMC rebuilt to their specifications in the late 80s/early 90s. The two links below are of trucks I purchased in Hawaii ... notice the wheels on the M813 and the M923:

http://shortlinks.net/fjc065

And

http://shortlinks.net/mvq543

The 20-bolt wheels are just fine (except 2x work when taking apart/putting back together), but it is literally impossible to find the wheel O-rings for these 20-bolt wheels. I have one truck with the 20 bolt wheels that, fortunately, currently hold air. The O-rings on the 20-bolt wheels are actually triangle shaped rings and unlike any O-ring I'd encountered before. The 10-bolt wheel O-rings are easy to find and I actually stock them.

So, word of warning; if you purchase the 20-bolt combat wheels you'll have to have your own O-rings manufactured!!!

I'd LOVE for someone to prove me wrong on the O-rings (as in, "no Joe, these are readily available from XYZ Company in XYZ state").

If you know where to get O-rings for these wheels let us ALL know.

Good luck to all!

Joe

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RE: Combat Wheels

Hey Joe,
The 20-bolt rims on your truck have an offset where the wheel flange bolts to the hub while the ones pictured above look to be flat all the way across. Plus, they have an extra hole in between 2 of the lug holes, maybe for CTIS? I know the 939-series CTIS comes through the hub. Anyone know what comes through the wheel?
Chris

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Chris,

Agreed! My mistake. Thanks for the catch!

To all -- still looking for the O-rings for the 20-bolt 5 ton wheels if anyone knows where to find them. I think that Westech will need them as well.

Joe

M1075

Joe- The wheels shown in the links don't match what is shown above. The centers on the rims posted by Sermis are totally flat, not pressed in any way. That doesn't mean they will not work on a 5 ton, just they look a little different than the normal 10 and 20 bolt rims I have seen.

Are you sure on the triangular o-ring? Is it possible that it deformed to that shape when used? Do you have a NOS one? If so, you can get it duplicated easily from an O-ring company. I can give you contact info if needed.

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
O-rings

Thanks for the catch.

And, you're totally right -- it's very possible that the o-rings I removed were simply so deformed that they appeared to be triangular in shape. I did take the wheels, with o-ring out, to my local heavy truck place they couldn't help me at all.

I suspect that I may have to simply wait until one of my 20-bolt tires goes flat, then take it apart and have the o-rings manufactured. And, yes, I would very much appreciate the O-ring company contact info that you have.

Thanks again,

Joe

M1075

RE: O-rings

I have used O Rings, Inc in Los Angeles, CA. When I couldn't find an original supplier of o-rings, I sent them one I had and they evaluated it and copied it for me. The original was red and a special compound. To save money, I had them use the standard material (black). They even have a part number now for the O-Ring (61 CL x .375 BN70). I think that just translates into 61" length, .375" diameter and Buna-N 70 Shore material. About $8 each. Contact Amanda @ 323-343-9500 or anelson@oringsusa.com. If you need some or want to have some made in a different size or material, she can help. I have referred several others to her and I think DMA251 put them on his 5 ton. See here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=8361&postdays=0&postorder=asc

I also have contacts for new valve stems for the 2 piece rims, if needed.

Cdub

RE: O-rings

Which M939 5 ton came with the 10 bolt pattern and which M939 5 ton came with the 20 bolt pattern......??

Thanks,

C'dub

dma251

Those are not 20 bolt wheels. THey are 16 bolt wheels for a HEMTT. I know because I just mounted one together yesterday for my HEMTT. Take a look at this thread - there is a picture of the same exact wheel in my garage I put together for my spare tire.

The newest HEMTT's come with this style bolt-together beadlock-insert type wheels. The older rigs had a locking-ring style wheels like a split-rim.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=13807

They do use a triangular o-ring, but you can use a small diameter round o-ring from a 5-ton combat wheel and it will squish down and seal great. the way these wheels come together at the o-ring location is made angled specifically for the triangular o-ring. Not having one, I used some of the 61 CLX .375 BN70 o-rings I had O-Rings Inc make for me for my old M813. They work great.

O-Rings Inc can be reached at 323-343-9500

If anyone in the Washington/Oregon?Idaho area has 4 more of these wheels, I could use them.

dma251

Re: RE: O-rings

acetomatoco said:
Are those mounting holes tapered? they sure do not look like Budd..

Yes, the holes are tapered on both sides so they can be run both ways. The HEMTT runs them bolts out on the front 4, and flipped in on the rear 4.

Cdub

Re: RE: O-rings

steelsoldiers said:
My 923A2 has the 10-bolts.
and my 925A1 also has the 10 bolts........

so which of the 5 tons came with the 20 bolt combat rims.....or didn't they.....??

Thanks,

C'dub

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks