• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Combat wheels, FMTV wheels, HEMTT wheels

wsucougarx

Guys, I'm going through the vast number of 5 ton related wheel threads. I see references to HEMTT wheels, FMTV wheels, and combat wheels. I can clearly see the difference between FMTV and Combat wheels. How are HEMTT wheels different?

Last edited:

paradeduty

Not 100% sure about the actual difference as I have only personally dealt with the HEMTT (2-piece) rims. But from what I can gather, the HEMTT rims are at least somewhat heavier built than the others for the weight capacity of the HEMTT trucks. I think that each true HEMTT rim is rated at 13,000 lbs or more. I think the HEMTT rims also have a greater number of bolts that attach the two "halves" of the rim together (with the o-ring seal inbetween). I don't know exactly what it is, but I believe that the "other" rims have a different offset than the HEMTT rims. I believe that the O-ring seals and non CTIS Valve Stems are the same on them though (but don't quote me on it).

Bolkbich

HEMTT wheels are almost twice as thick at the lug area. They have a little less off set (they dont have the little bubbled out area by the lugs you can see on the front 5 ton rims by the lugs) which means on the front they stick out a little more ,when spun the opposite way on the rear they are in a little further.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Basic wheel dimensions, 5ton combat wheel vs. HEMTT wheel vs. FMTV wheel... vs. MRAP (12bolt, steel)

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hooty481

That's a great picture comparison gringle. Do you by any chance have that same picture for the combat rim. I have combat rims on my 5ton and I have reentered hemtt wheels on my deuce. I have not had any dealings with FMTV wheels that I know of. Still don't know the difference in FMTV wheels and combat wheels. I do know they made 3 different combat wheels. I think the differences were how the o-ring was used between the wheels halves and the size and number of bolts that held the 2 halves together.

dozer1

Combat wheels, FMTV wheels ,,is there a difference? I haven't heard of FMTV wheels. There is combat wheels on my 5 ton. (at least that is what I thought they were) Anyways, 1 thing worth mentioning is that the combat wheels with there big offset like a 14.00x20 tire. 16.00's tend to run a little close in front and rub some when steering all the way one direction or the other. I would use the HEMTT wheel with the big 53's

Vintage iron

Yes, 53 inch tires on Combat wheels will rub on a five ton. I had to add 1 1/2 bridge truck spacers to keep the tires from rubbing on my steering arm and hydraulic piston cover. you will need to change you wheel studs or do thimbles on the from if you run HEMMT's.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.......Do you by any chance have that same picture for the combat rim.
Sorry, not... All I have is some front face photos, gathered from this site.
I have combat rims on my 5ton.......
You or anyone having a "tire-less" 5ton 20x10in 2pc (bolt-together) wheel laying around and wanting to collaborate: please take some measurements, maybe shoot some detail pics, too and fill-in the unknown dims in the approximate drawing below. (I'm assuming these wheels are built very similar to the A3 wheels.)

BTW: The FMTV wheel was done that way. I've never had one in my hands but I got the exact dimensions from member Treeguy. Thanks Ben!

Update 03/08: just added the 5ton 20x10 combat wheel to post #4. Thanks Dozer1 for getting me the measurements and pics!

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

dozer1

Sorry, not... All I have is some front face photos, gathered from this site.

You or anyone having a "tire-less" 5ton 20x10in 2pc (bolt-together) wheel laying around and wanting to collaborate: please take some measurements, maybe shoot some detail pics, too and fill-in the unknown dims in the approximate drawing below. (I'm assuming these wheels are built very similar to the A3 wheels.)

BTW: The FMTV wheel was done that way. I've never had one in my hands but I got the exact dimensions from member Treeguy. Thanks Ben!

G.
You got it G. All 7 of my combat wheels are currently tire-less and getting sand blasted and painted. I am not sure when I will get them back, but can get you pics and measurements when I do. Also I got 6 that are the same and 1 oddball one. the odd one is older I believe. Has smaller studs holding it together and a 3/8" O-ring instead of 1/4" like the other 6. I will PM you when I get them back.

dgardner

Banned
On the subject of wheels, anybody know what these came off of and if they will require tubes? Looking at them, I would think they DO need tubes but the person who has them says that he doesn't think they had tubes in them before.

Thanks.

Attachments

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Those rim cross-section drawings are great! Thank you! :jumpin:

Now, here's my dumb question: Are the "combat rims" pictured the ones that would be used on an M923A1? I ask because I'm getting my first M923 soon, and I'm considering whether I'd like to convert it to an A1. I've been reading all the threads I can find about tires and wheels. but I'm still a bit confused.

If the combat rims are proper for an M923A1, then those drawings make it look like FMTV rims would fit with the same 14x20 tires and only a very small difference in track width. Do I understand this correctly? Since I've started looking, I haven't seen to many M9xxA1 rims for sale, but FMTV rims seems to be floating around at the moment.

OSO

Quark Has one unmounted Combat wheel . The wheel Has 20 studs holding the halves together. I know I hand chased all 20 studs on 7 rims, I had before mounting up 16.00 x 20 R tires on them :grd:

indy4x4fab

Banned
On the subject of wheels, anybody know what these came off of and if they will require tubes? Looking at them, I would think they DO need tubes but the person who has them says that he doesn't think they had tubes in them before.

Thanks.
Can you get a birds eye view of the for use?

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I brought the chart Gringletaube provided to me (above post) on a thread about front 923 (basic) tires that are equal height to the 11.00 x 20 duals, because it seemed relevant to this thread and discussion of what wheels are compatible. My point is not about offset or load bearing, but to share the difference in the combat, HEMTT, FMTV and MRAP ...with an MPT style wheel. The MPT style is necessary for mounting a 14.50 x 20 or 365/80R20 on front of a 923. The MPT style tire has slightly different bead diameter and flange radius, thus does NOT work on any of the above rims.

Should anyone know of a 20" MPT style rim such as used on an M35A3, but with a 10 lug pattern like the above wheels, please let me know.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I googled the 365/80R20 and came up with sale GL 11000 - 8931 that shows a ten lug wheel. Can anyone tell me what that wheel is called and if it is the same bolt pattern as the 923 has?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be a hub-centric wheel with a 10 on 13.2" pattern, typical for the MRAP. The M939series - as all 5-tons, still have the good old, lug-nut centered wheel centers with the 10 on 11.25" pattern.
With adecuate tools and equipment it may be possible to swap centers between them; or use FMTV wheels as donors, since these seem to be everywhere, lately.

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks