• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Comical stenciling on 803 GOV planet today

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
In 1986 at Camp Fuji, Japan, I was assigned to a working party one day with other members of my tank platoon. Top (Master Sergeant for the Company) told us to repaint & re-stencil the Paint/HazMat Locker, which was a small conex box. Repaint accomplished, we broke out the stencils to find that we were one short of a Zero/O stencil…so one of the senior Lance Corporals (E-3) decided to ”modify” the stenciling to “NO SMOKING WITHIN 49.8 FEET.”

That was one of many times I discovered how fast & furious S**t Rolls Downhill…. Needless to say the next day we did the stenciling in two separate passes to accomodate the shortage of Zero/O stencils…
See... That's one way to get it done, but if you had a first class Supply Sergeant - they would have traded with somebody - and gotten an extra set of stencils.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
See... That's one way to get it done, but if you had a first class Supply Sergeant - they would have traded with somebody - and gotten an extra set of stencils.
True!

Continuing with same location a few months later, Top was concerned that artillerymen were wandering through our area and commandeering some of our items (trash cans, etc..) for their own uses, so someone made some nice M60A1 tank silhouette stencils that Top got hold of. Once again, my platoon (3rd platoon, who Top officially termed “A$$clowns”) was tasked with the working party that had to paint these tank silhouettes on trash cans and other items that were growing legs and disappearing. Of course once that was accomplished, we had too much time left that day so we knew we had to stretch the task out until securing time (or else Top would have us do some other crap detail). So we painted tank silhouettes on EVERYTHING…rocks, tools, porta-potties, you name it! Our platoon sergeant lost his mind, thinking that this was push Top over the edge and Article 15 every one of us.

BUT, Top was tickled pink! He LOVED it, and from then on he saved the gravy jobs for our platoon working parties from that point on. 1st & 2nd platoons got hammered with crap jobs, but who cares?!?

Guyfang

Staff member
On REFORGER 1975, we were out in a damp, cold location. It was 02:00. One of the COMMO NCO's, (not well known for his intelligence) went out to refuel the 10 KW gas driven gen sets. As it was dark, and he was too lazy to get a flashlight, he used his Bic lighter to find a fuel can. But he did not know if it was gas or diesel. And sad to say, was not smart enough to just open it and smell it. I did not see the fireball. I heard it was better then New Years.

Back in the day, we all had really nice mustaches, and longer hair. He didn't, after the fireball died down. He had a pile cap on, and ALL hair sticking out, was gone. And looked like he had laid out on the beach at Lake Tahoe, all day. Fire engine red. Several people heard the "woomp", and helped him to the CP. The medic smeared some crap on his face, and sent him off. But, he still needed to fill the gen set. So off he went, to accomplish the task. But, he had dropped the cap to the 5 gal. fuel can. So, as he still had no flashlight, took out his Bic, and crawling around on hands and knees, tried to find the can and top. The second "Woomp", I did see. And I was at least 60-80 meters away. Very impressive! My French Buddy, who was helping me hook up a radar said, and I will never forget this, "Très formable!" He had to explain it, but I laughed till I cried. You can not fix stupid.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it was relighting the diesel potbelly stoves that did the flash burns for us.
One female soldier decided to relight it while hot using the full cup of diesel fuel like instructions say for cold.
Singed her eyebrows and eyeballs, but was back on duty when we got out of the field.

She wasn't the brightest to begin with, and had a major attitude about anything she could get away with.
her one job for almost a year was a single report. She took 2 weeks to do this report (that was due every 2 weeks) and managed to turn it in late every single time.
She got transferred to a different section, and someone else had to do the report.
Turns out it took maybe 2 hours to do.
It wasn't just a case of her trying to pull a fast one and use an excuse to get out of other work, it really DID take her that long.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks