• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coming Attraction - project #6 M43 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

zout

I have the lower windshield frame removed and all the dead metal removed. I received my new piece of sheet metal yesterday and have it prepared for the install. Spent a lot of time with rust removal and getting it coated with rust converter in the very hard to reach places.

I will be getting new glass in both windshield frames after I blast the frames and get the inner channel primered.

I have my cowl seals ordered from Midwest and they are shipping out Monday.

By the end of next week all the removed metal will be done - framework re-installed and windshields in place for interior painting of the cab.

That leaves me on the exterior 3 small area's to finish before moving into the ambulance section - plus to get back on that hot roof.
In the meantime I orderred a new silicone mask replacement so I have no problems with respirating (this is an air fed unit).

No pics (but I know someone who got some):roll:

zout

TWM - tell ya what - you never know what are remnents in these units as far as dust and even worse the CARC paint if you are going to do anything with it.

Back in the 60's I changed out brakes shoes - clutch's on semi tractors and never gave a thought about blowing out the dust with an air line - then put in the new. Or even spraying primer - laquer paints on choppers at the chopper shop I use to spend time at - besides the "bondo" dust from sanding the necks on raked choppers to customize them. I did love the smell of Dupont Centauri paints.

All I can tell you now is - we are not as invincible as we think we are (but I still think I am).

It is a pleasure to keep the glass's from fogging as a side benefit ith the unit. It will be all I wear sandblasting the ambulance section in this heat and change out face plates now and then.

I am taking tonight-tomorrow and Sunday off and taking the family over to Stone Mountain for a weekend of camping in the M109A3 (thread gone of the build by the way) 4 older grandsons in the militay tent - my daughter and my newest grandson plus I HAVE to DRAG my WIFE along I guess rofl

Will be back on the 43 Monday and see if I can finish up the body work on the cowl - glass will go in the frames next week PLUS the radiator is sent out for a total rebuild in preperation for engine some time down the road. Lots yet to do - BUT I see the GEORGIA RALLY 2011 in my sights.

zout

Windshield cowl 1/2 way finished - shared photo with another member of the status of the repair.

Cowl seal has not arrived yet and waiting for final fitment.

R/S area behind the fender had knock out plugs on it and one was knocked loose and full of wet debris causing the rust to that area. All the debris removed and finishing the sealing of that area.

Working towards painting of the interior at this point. ECT - with full repairs I am looking at around a 2 week window - be helpful if the sun was not beating down like a blazing furnace.

I will get pics of the completed windshield cowl and framework once I am done and post them. Will get back onto sandblasting nearer the weekend of the internal cab components @seat frames.

Radiator gets sent out tomorrow for rebuild.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking forward to the cowl photos Zout. By the way, where did you get your pressure blaster and do you have a moisture filter on the compressor. My media seems to get clogged easy.

zout

Tigger - last I knew they were honing the cyl's.

The pressure blaster has a cheap water filter on it and my compressors have twin really nice water filters on them.

Two things you cannot avoid in this environment - heat and condensation when compressing. Plus the main tank drains to keep up with for draining.

Contrary to what the pics look like - I do take breaks to give the compressors time to cool - then I drain all of it - hit my Crown some more and go after it again in spurts. But I just stick to it and do it constantantly. I see where I want to be at the end of the day and that is where I quit - pushing more each day.

Look up Tool Web. there are many like it and I think I paid around $185 wholesale for mine. Ceramic tip but I plan to change them when worn out with parts from Northern Equip. Its and 80 # system.

The stuff from NE is good as well if you can recover the media to use about 3 times cause it is $8 per 50# bag. Black Diamond or Black Beauty I think it is called. But I use sand - sifted to medium.

zout

Been too busy riding my rocket go kart through the subdivsion - wish there was an empty cemetary near by - I need some open road.

Windshields pulled down and will get new glass in them tomorrow
Seats will go out for new VINYL covering tomorrow and upholstered - I will blast the fames and paint when they are back.

Waiting on the windshield cowl seal from Midwest Mil (thank you)

The exterior body work is DONE minus the roof - someone please turn the heat down so I can get up there.

If all works out right - I can have the interior painted by end of weekend - fingers crossed.

zout

Seeing as my 4 grandsons are with us this weekend as their Dad is taking a few vacation days (well deserved by the way if you knew his "story") He is a sole dad as their mom up and walked out 3 yrs ago on him - thinking she was more than she really is - and she is even less now - but -we are glad to have them anytime and there are a lot of members here who's grandkids are far away - my heart goes out to you.

Windshield frames stripped - blasted - new glass cut and ready to install as soon as I get them primered this afternoon & painted.

Murphy struck - all the hinge screws for the swing windshields broke with nothing to snatch onto for removal - so after stuff is painted these are on the next list. Then seeing as my windshield cowl seal arrived from Midwest Military (John up there is fricking awesome) I will start the re-install of my hacked out work. He has the 3 sided seals coming down as well.

Seats are out for re-upholstery and I chose a darker green for covering instead of the light gray that was on there - yes in heavy duty vinyl. They will leave the cushions loose and I will blast and paint the frames seperately.

Hopefully if I have not had to duct tape all 4 boys to the fence I should be able to have the interior painted by weekend.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good update Zout. I've got my grandsons this weekend too. I used Gorilla tape instead of duck tape to tape them to things as it leave fewer glue marks.

I have had the same luck with windshield bolts lately. Ended up having to drill the remaining pieces out and re-tap them. So far I am batting 8 for 8. Good luck with yours.

zout

Opened the box with my windshields in them that were cut - WTH - only 1 was in the box - will handle this Monday with the glass co. Got the windshield frames themself primered and the one glass installed,

Set the cowl seal on the lower framework and mounted it, Laid the lower cut frame into place and WA-LA - she laid perfectly. Will fire up the welder tomorrow - as tomorrow is another day.
Went and laid in the kids swimming pool for a while while they took their 4 squirt guns and nailed the ole man really good (it felt good after being down there in the heat).

Where I want to be tomorrow night has changed with now having to paint the windshields/frames seperately from the cab - but the interior cab painting still looks good for my personal schedule.

Waiting to nail the deal on my fibreglass bass boat sale so I can get on with Debs M38A1 and get the wire harness ordered while I am waiting for the engine - then this thread will be at a halt while the previous continues on.

zout

Finished installing the interor pass blower motor access panel
Finished installing the exterior blower motor vents

Re-tapped the interior windows - blew the living crap out of the interior - scotchbrighted it all down - blew the living crap out of it again.

Mixed the witch's brew - loaded er into the guns and wacko - here ya go.

If you see the lower windshield framework re-installed.

Attachments

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great job Zout. If possible, could you shoot a picture of the cowl repair from the outside? I continue to be amazed by your skills.

zout

Not yet TWM - I have a tad more finish work on the exterior and I was not happy with the vent seal either - not a time to be picky in 90PLUS weather - but that is the case.

I think I will be getting that spanking brand new set of imprinted data plates I have been drooling over from the guy in Peoria - those are sweet.

I think if all goes right - the roof is next in line - paint the exterior and move it to the front of the garage and finally start to actually do some work after all this screwing off - and get the ambulance section going. Being on top of concrete will help me get down and lay on the ground to get the frame as well.

That will be the area I chuck the engine in when the time comes.

Ga Rally here we come - here we come - here we come - Ga Rally here we come - ah da do da day.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate working on those vent seals. The 43's looks like the one I had to do on my '50 Ford F-1 restoration. It was a real pain but if you didn't do it right, it leaked like a sieve. Good luck with yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.