• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coming Attraction - project #6 M43 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dammitt you're gonna have your M43 done before I can afford to do anything major on my gun truck which I started last year! You're making me look bad. :(

Anyways, you are doing a great job, hot weather or not. you started with a borderline basketcase, it's gonna look like a show winner in no time!

zout

Fired up the paint gun tonight - no more for explantion than these pics.

Also started on filling in with Duraglass the panels welded into the window frame holes.
Here ya go for your viewing pleasure

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Zout, you are doing an amazing job there troop.
CAMO is proud of you...and I'm glad to call you my friend.

I honestly considered stripping the most valuable parts off that rascal and scrapping the rest.

God works in mysterious ways..but He always seems to:

:grd::grd::grd:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fantastic work as always Zout. The cowl came out great and the paint job is superb. How does that tire carrier work? Does it move when you open the door?

zout

TWM - see PB's post up ^^^^^ #286

The tire rack is lucky to be alive along with the other items on the 43 - and not obscoundered onto one of PB's other units - like the Farm Jeep outside his door beconning to be worked on and brought back to life :deadhorse:.

It has a main mount on the side cowl forward of the drivers door - these bolts protrude into the interior with spacers so the side cowl does not crush - there is a post there as well. This is hinged and behind the drivers door area is a latch assembly. On the rack is a tire rack release button - so when the tire is mounted you can release it from the outside. Inside the drivers area on the backside of this latch is another interior release handle so the driver can swing the door releasing the tire rack as well - very very cool.

I plan on actually working on the 43 this weekend a little more than my normal slacking self - maybe turn off the big plasma tv down there and work. Deb unplugged my beer refrigerator:)beer:) cause I huddled around that slurping beer and not working. All I need down there now is a dog to lay at my feet - having a stripper pole mounted in the garage is out of the question as I value my life.

As PB said - this ambulance has EVERYTHING (even tho the engine is MIA - one is still available) that is what is so intriging looking at all these little items while working on it and tinkering with them.

nattieleather

I was going to say what are you going to fill that big hole in the front with... :) Looks good. Keep up the good work. I myself work at a pace that is slightly slower than dirt. :lol:

Danger Ranger

That really looks amazing Zout. Great job. It is finally coming together. You better be carefull though, or you might have a shiny painted shell waiting outside for an engine....hehehe.:razz:
:beer:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zout, is your procedure to go over the primered surface with a green scotch brite pad and the paid. Do you wipe it with anything after the pad?

M715VFD405

A guy in town has 2 37's setting in his driveway one is 99% the other is still FD red with a county bug spray tank on the back but it came with a crate flathead engine when he got it at auction so if PB don't get your engine to ya this guy might be talked into selling it :deadhorse: truck looks great you really are an artist!!!!!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
A guy in town has 2 37's setting in his driveway one is 99% the other is still FD red with a county bug spray tank on the back but it came with a crate flathead engine when he got it at auction so if PB don't get your engine to ya this guy might be talked into selling it :deadhorse: truck looks great you really are an artist!!!!!
Oh ye of little faith!!:cry:

zout

I am not worried about the engine - still a ways off to deal with thinking about installing it or even working on one. Still has to be gotten up in the air after the back end is done & get working on the seals and brakes.

But thank you for bringing it up as a choice.

Don't worry - be happy:beer:

TWM - I messed around on the headlight buckets - I scotchbrighted them with the "gray" and I had some 2000 laying around and then tac clothed them and that is how they turned out - not so with the rest of what will be painted.

I used 320 oni the existing primer surface - then scotchbrighted them (gray again) then air hosed em off - tac clothed them and sprayed. That is how the rest is getting painted.

Been up all night - had to come into work after leaving here at 4:30 yesterday afternoon - got back in here at 11 last night to deal with an existing accident - then my son got hit on his motorcycle on the way into work so I was dealing with that - so I am still here - will be a very long day once I close up here and head home to work on the 43.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I am not worried about the engine - still a ways off to deal with thinking about installing it or even working on one. Still has to be gotten up in the air after the back end is done & get working on the seals and brakes.

But thank you for bringing it up as a choice.

Don't worry - be happy:beer:

TWM - I messed around on the headlight buckets - I scotchbrighted them with the "gray" and I had some 2000 laying around and then tac clothed them and that is how they turned out - not so with the rest of what will be painted.

I used 320 oni the existing primer surface - then scotchbrighted them (gray again) then air hosed em off - tac clothed them and sprayed. That is how the rest is getting painted.

Been up all night - had to come into work after leaving here at 4:30 yesterday afternoon - got back in here at 11 last night to deal with an existing accident - then my son got hit on his motorcycle on the way into work so I was dealing with that - so I am still here - will be a very long day once I close up here and head home to work on the 43.
PLEASE tell me your son was not badly hurt!:jumpin:

zout

His right leg kind of does not look like a leg - I checked the helmet for any signs of impact and I did not see any cracks or scratches.

I am PHD certified Harley - drag raced them in the Nationals and had one till 2008 - starting from 1967. Service managed one of the dealerships here - so I have been around them for a very very long time and knew what to look for - also not my first time seeing a mangled leg. It could have been much worse - and will have that discussion with him at a later date - I am not in the mood to take over 4 small boys.

I did hit him in his other arm so he would stop bitching about his leg hurting -

Will try to get on the roof as soon as I get outta work - ahhh yes - I do have the 4 boys there now of course.

Life is good - all ok and thanks you for the concern my friend.

zout

Adrian - Cranetrucks Son - is the employee whom I hired into the shop when I posted the job opening here last time.

This young man came all the way down from VA - I just have to mention this and it is no BS.

It took a couple days to calm him down to the Atlanta environment - but this young man is a great asset here. His first week here a while back - he had the backing of all the current mechanics here. He has a great attitude - he has a great work ethic and willing to learn and not afraid to work. I grab him whenever I can and teach him whatever I can pass onto him - which is not much cause I think Cranetruck actually got him to listen to him and it shows.

I think he likes it as well - which is even weirder yet - likes being around me he has to be tough.:roll:

God works in mysterious ways is all I can say. Adrian is a great young man and I am honored to have him here.

I will have to adjust one thing tho with him - he keeps telling me his 37 is better looking than the 43 I am working on and that is just not right - rofl

Status
Not open for further replies.