• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coming Attraction - project #6 M43 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Appreciate those words Dave...
Adrian's m37, which he has worked on and driven since about age 12, is a work truck and much more for function than looks.
He is good with the welder and can fix rust damage by welding the sheet metal and finishing it. He is good with the paint gun also, just put him to the test. :)

Attachments

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Zout. I sure hope your son has a full recovery. I had 7 Harleys over 25 years and only dropped one in a minor spill. Give him my best.

zout

Oh - I put him to the welding test a while back already - one of the other mechanics ran over the air hyd 20 ton jack here. Adrian came in and I pointed at it and told him - there is your job for the morning. The jack framwork was mangled and distored beyong recognition - by noon it looked like brand new & spray bombed.

What the tandem axle tractor did not mangle - the loaded trailer distorted the rest of it.

For the painting test - I will have to get him over to the house for that one. But he is too busy with a blonde right now:beer:.

He can do exactly what he says he can do - and if he doesn't know he wants to learn and will jump right in.

zout

you can see how the pass side panel turned out and painted - have to re-do the other side.

PB threw something in the pile and it mounted up fine in this spot ????

It appears to be an Elmo carrying rack of some sort ??

It appears to be a CHERRY CONTAINER carrier of some sort - But I have no container that fits this area big enough ??

Whatever goes there, I am missing or I am suppose to fill it - if it belongs to Elmo he needs to bring his harness along so he can strap himself in while he puts his nose to the wind on the platform.

I pulled the sheets off the windows - they have to be cleaned yet - but it is a nice look sitting in the drivers seat twisting on the steering wheel pretending you are going down the road .

** Please Note**
1. Do not imitate or take for example anything Zout has done - he is NOT a professional and has no clue what he is doing - he only flies by the seat of his pants.

2. I am not a influence of SS so SS cannot be liable for any stupid work ethics I have - I am not responsible nor will I take the blame for any of my actions.

3. If you are missing an engine from an M37 in the near future - I am not to blame nor will I be held responsible. Even if the engine numbers match I know nothing about it - it just appeared there.

4. If Zout paints the Red Cross up side down - it does not mean he is Satanic - it only means he held the stencile up side down when it painted it. Or - he had it sideways. I am not to blame nor will I be held responsible.

Please keep an eye out for whatever goes in the rack on the passenger side - if indeed it is Elmo - he must play a requested tune for me on a Sunday night before he rides shotgun.

Attachments

Ghostdriver

She's looking really good, Zout. It'll be so much nicer to paint her without the engine. And you're really cruising along quickly!!

And I can totally identify with sitting in it twisting the wheel pretending that you are driving - I have done that, all by myself, and on more than one occasion. I was a grown-arse woman, too.

Last edited:

zout

Inside the ambulance window repiar DONE :beer:

Sandblased the tunnel - fuel insert - small plate for starter button - shifter boot piece - radiator top sheet metal piece - upper beds - all yet to be painted.

Got the two divets on the drivers side rear big panel repaired - this will get repainted with the roof.

The schematics for the White background and Red Cross pieces figured out on a piece of paper per the spec's.

ALL paint to finish is ordered and shoud all be in next week. The White & Red is per the Federal Spec sheet for 24052 color scheme. This is the same color white I will be paintng the interior of the ambulance.

Al you can see - by 3:10 I went back up to the house and put my feet up cause you said I needed to take a break.

Attachments

zout

The engine is no big deal and PB and I will work out the power plant here in the near future - after all - it is a CAMO display. PB has my 20 covered on this and I am not at least concerned.

I will post pics when all is done of the Red Cross's painted and the interior all done. Otherwise I am pretty much done with this thread of the build - all the hard chit is over and if you have the imagination this poor individual has - you can see the end results.

I will post final pictures in the end - but otherwise I am done posting pics and posts on this build.

From here on out I will be posting on the Jeep build as I expect Deb's engine back in the very short future and along with getting the complete wire harness ordered. I really want the jeep done for the 2011 GA Rally so she can drive it and have fun with it there. The 43 is secondary and I will work on this as time allows. I may end that thread as well for posting to, once I get the engine and start the install - Dingers jeep still needs a lot of missing parts along with the engine having to go out for rebuild - this is a CJ5 getting hacked into an M38A1 after all.

The reason if you wonder why I am ending posting - is that there are more viewers than posters - I really feel like I am posting for a select few and it is not worth spending time on just to dribble on. Maybe I should get a CUCV

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A very well deserved break. You are a master with those windows. I spent the day trying to find gray Scotch Brite pads. I guess you don't need ultra fine in Texas.

Oldfart

Ghostdriver told me this am that you were kicking back a bit on this project reporting. I guess I have been one of those readers who wasn't posting back. Your thread and the progress has been a terrific read. Sorry I did not add something along the way. ~~~ There aren't many active M37 projects let alone M43's. And just a hand full of us dealing with the Jimmy's anymore. Kinda makes me wonder how much longer SS will provide the bandwith to support less active vehicle type threads.

onegmjack

You have been doing a excellent job,was afraid of say any thing,did not want to distract you.Come on everyone chime in here and tell how much he has done to make the M43 look like it was when it was new.Great job,please don't stop now.Well better finish the wife's Jeep first so she will be happy.Come on everyone we don't want Zout to quit now,we want to see the finish product.Dwight

zout

Zout does not understand the word "quit".

For few readers interested I was going to just pm them updates instead of taking bandwidth away with my dribble - not doing it for posts or just to have my 5 minutes of fame - cause I don't understand that either.

I just figured someone might get something from - and if not - there was no sence in just filling space.

Paint for the rear is getting picked up Thursday along with the red:
Sherwin Williams Gloss White #17875
Sherwin WIlliams Gloss Red #11136

I would have not found these colors so easily if another member had not posted them some time back and I searched - thank you.
Sherwin Williams #24052 is the exterior.

my 2 - 4HN's 24v batteries are in hand and not filled with acid as of yet

Poster board is getting picked up this second from my wife to make the overlays for the Red Cross patters on the sides/roof/rear door.

Every component not painted or primered is sandblasted and awaiting primer in the garage and final paint.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Dave. I have been sitting in my shop just staring at the wall wondering what I was going to do with my life. I now feel fulfilled and will be hovering while waiting to see the final product.

M715VFD405

Zout I must say this has been a great build I have enjoyed reading your "dribble" as you put it. You are an artist and while this thread may be over save the finished product I hope that you will not hesitate to post more of your work as it comes along. I have a feeling this won't be the last project PB has in store for you. Thank you for your detailed thread it has helped me a lot in my own build thoughts and I'm sure I am not alone in that. I hope your son makes a full recovery I had a brush with death on my old bike some time ago when a full sized dodge stopped at a stop sign decided reverse was the right way to go and backed over me in the process. Thanks for everything and have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.