• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coming Attraction - project #6 M43 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

1943ht

ZOUT Hopefully this will cheer you up, picked up a parts engine for your project vehicle today ... engine is complete except for the distributor .. should help with your rebuild .. price was right ($0) and I was able to snag it 30 minutes ahead of the scrap machine .. only thing I was able to salvage outside of a few small items

zout

The sky is black and the tree's are shakin
hopefully she does not take down any of the trees
The hopes and dreams are all dashed away
of getting on top to paint the cross on the OLE 43.

Ghostdriver

Watching this M43 come together so beautifully is really motivating me to work on mine. I think they are just the most wonderful trucks. Such a good job, Zout.

zout

Had the roof already prep'd - had to touch it up a little with the tac cloth after getting out of court today.

This is all the time I had available but I STILL might be able to do more cause it is hotter than a popcorn fart up on that roof. It was soo hot I could not kneel on the surface with out a towel under each knee while I tapped it off and got the cover laid out on it - besides being directly on top wiping er down.

Here are just a couple pics - wish I could have made better shots for you but I really needed to get inside for a while before I attempt to go back out later to get the CROSS painted on her. The measurements are already lined out and all I have to do is connect the dots - so to speak and then get that taped off.

I did decide to save some funds and not purhase stenciles from a reputable dealer - its just a $$$$$ thing. The stencils may not be totally correct - but take it up with the Commander - same one that likes the strap ends showing shiny brass.

PB has been an awesome support in the build with the powerplant standing by till called upon - this was never an issue and I never gave the engine a thought - he is just that kind of friend - Dang - CAMO will probably have it most the time anyhow showing it for their functions.

Couple other members out there have great builds going on in the same family range of vehicles - I wish I could do the work they are capable of doing as they look really great - and I am a happy camper being in the same family with them. Besides being extremely appreciative of the CAMO group - they make me a very humble individual.

Attachments

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great Zout. You are a one man motor pool and body shop. Can't think on one thing you have not been able to do yet. Except of course, catch the perps. Thanks for posting.

zout

Anyone down here in Ga or the Southern states will "get it" - I did not wish to worry about tarping over for shade or moving the truck - so out in the open sun it was. Not even going to begin to tell you how hot it was up there the last couple days.

Roof is done. Picked up my stencils from Ace Hardware today for a 1/4 of the costs of what was custom made stuff. Blame it on the commander.

Cadaceus is ordered and I will use something else other than a decal for the 9 1/2 in circle to make it.

Not changing up any of the Army markings on it - so E3 0501 it is.

I actually have 2 more big jobs to accomplish on it and one of them is installing the engine by myself here in a few weeks. Other - you will just have to figure out from the pictures yourself.

Attachments

Oldfart

Oldfart is guessing its repairing the spotlight and installing the fuel tank (did you ever get it back with your car????) Zout is awesome to be able to paint in the hot sun. If I did that the paint would look like powder. Gotta know your reducers for that kinda stuff.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I'm sorry to say, that vehicle came up on the "hot sheet" this morning. Yes...it's true, the vehicle was stolen from the 4th Dwarf Training Battalion...an experimental tanker outfit in 1983!!:shock:

At this point, all I can think of is to take that stolen junker back to the "hooch" and give you mine Zout.:beer:

You know I am watching out for ya Bro...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

zout

Oldfart - car is back with a little damage to the lower air dam in the front - I do not care. Tank was in the back seat in A OK condition and a little scared from the ride into the ditch but fairing well from the ordeal.

Tank is out getting cleaned and professionally lined.

I would at least think the recovery would come after the tank and flooring were back in it rofl.

I will work on your 43 anytime you want - hope you like shinny strap ends though. This is a CAMO unit and ready for action whenever called upon - even if you have to come and get it because of my schedule.

Going to work tomorrow on the second hardest thing to correct something as soon as I get out of work. Floor will not go in until the tank is in - rear end frame is cleaned and painted. Then she goes up in the air. for brake work and the new rubber on all 5. I will sandblast the rims and get them painted before the rubber goes back on.

Marcel

I believe the town that I live in has one rotting behind a hurricane fence at the town barn. Still has the red cross on it.

I may have found the hidden thing you must fix but probably not
#1 Looks like a dent in the roof or masking line was not straight I cant tell but i doubt it because of what good work do (masking line was not straight)
#2 appears to be overspray or paint working through the masking
#3 you gutter is not attached

Last edited:

zout

#1 - is some fart lards foot prints on the roof which will wipe off
#2 - ya got dead on -but not the problem - the GREEN tape I used raised a bit about 2 inchs and that is the result of it - tape does not adhere to 200 degree roofs in the dead GA sun - easy fix.
#3 - the boneheads that fixed my guters when I into them in the front with the 109 when I was working on it = broke that when they fixed the front section - but never came back to finish - they never got paid either.

Hint - all windows are taped off again now - 24052 without the Military Compounds in the paint is a shade lighter (more grayish looking) - check out the pic above after I paided the drivers side cross with the SW non military 24052 - and then the cab/hood with the SW Military 24052. It gets re-shot after getting scuffed down when I get out of work today.

I am never bashful when I make a mistake - that is just simply how you become more experienced - by making mistakes and correcting them & learning from them. If you have never screwed up - you just have yrs on the job - if you screwed up on that job and became more aware - then you have experience.
Some of you may "get it".

Ghostdriver

Can't believe how great this truck looks, and how fast you have done it (well actually, I CAN believe it, but I'm just sayin'). Makes me hungry. Nice to see you playing the "find the hidden object" game too. Fun, isn't it? You've got Oldfart all cranked up on it now, so who knows what dummy grenades or Pershing missile parts I'm going to have nestled in the tools when he takes a picture, just to see if someone notices.

@ Marcel, what are you waiting for, go recover that thing!!

Marcel

Can't believe how great this truck looks, and how fast you have done it (well actually, I CAN believe it, but I'm just sayin'). Makes me hungry. Nice to see you playing the "find the hidden object" game too. Fun, isn't it? You've got Oldfart all cranked up on it now, so who knows what dummy grenades or Pershing missile parts I'm going to have nestled in the tools when he takes a picture, just to see if someone notices.

@ Marcel, what are you waiting for, go recover that thing!!
My resources are limited and can only purchase things that I can use and an ambulance is not one of them. I have much work to do on my M51A2 as well as my loader/backhoe. Next big purchase is probably a material screen plant to seperate the ubiquitious New England stones from gravel and top soil. Then a flatbed for my bug out plans. Perhaps someone else is interested.

DAP

I have been "lurking and watching" your build - wow you are really going to town on this one. I was able to use some of your wiring in "prime colors" to figure out my wiring harness as it was totally trashed. It helped me identify which ends of the harness were female or male - thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.