• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coming Attraction - project #6 M43 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

zout

The status is the same where I left off - I have had to be out of town all week on a nasty project and getting home late and then sitting down trying to get that crappy AT&T situation resolved - pretty much ends up if I want to pay $125 for them to fix the router that they originally put out of commission 2 weeks ago along with the network card (yes I have surge protectors and battery backups - but there was NO storm) so today I am looking for a new telephone/DSL provider as well.

43 - soon as I get out of work the Cadaceus gets painted on along with the Army Medical Service insignia on each side below the white smiley face. If my oldest grandson is interested - I may just teach him how to do that.

Second - get it moved backwards and aligned up so my cherry picker I have can access and be able to swing around like it will need to do.

I might get it up on jack stands and get the wheels off it as I have all my rubber-flaps-tubes for install - I then just need to blast the rims and get them painted before installing them. I just do not want to get caught with it on stands and then need to be chucking the engine in. I will think about this one.

I can get the fluids dropped and re-freshed in the Tcase and both diff's now that I have the proper 5 gallon pale of lube.

zout

There would be a lot of folks wanting to take a needle for what I have to hand out to them if I were placed there - enough of that I guess.

PB - here are the parts I have if you want to let Troy check them out - no engine mount bolts that I can see plus I see no cables - who knows - I have no clue - Dave is clueless auaaua

Here is my cherry picker and I got the 43 moved around today by myself to good level solid ground to roll the picker around in. I have the 109 moved down there as well so I can back that up and chuck a tarp over it and the 43. I will probably borrow the 46 in hurricane fan as well whenever engine chucking day arrives. Just thought it would help to see the area to get a general idea.

Did get one Cadaceus on - the other side I re-painted the circle cause I kept looking at it and I was not happy with it - will get the C painted on tomorrow.

Must be nice to be chowing down on the delicious seafood down there.

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Dave, If it's OK with you, I think my plan will be to remove the entire engine, mounts and bolted on items from my M37.
We will come up with everything needed to get her running.

We'll bring back all the parts etc for me to rebuild and slam back into my M37.

Attachments

Last edited:

zout

Kinda what I thought you had in mind the last time on communications - that is why I dug everything out minus the crank and flywheel - no clutch in the parts either. But these are all the parts that were in the back or under the drivers seat so you can get an eyeball on whatever.

Seeing as you all just went through this and fresh in your minds - I fugrued the pics would be of assistance.

But EH - whadda I know. Dave is in his own little world up here in his mind - plus heatstroke on top of it all.
rofl

onegmjack

Looking Great,wish I had the know how to paint,but I only have the mechanical know how.In the third picture I see a Snapon tool box,is the Collector Series,I had one like that.Dwight

zout

Its a special edition box - I think its the 65th yr series - now thinking back it was a waste of $$$$$$ - I remember when Craftsmen had mobile tool trucks and I really liked their Mechanics Box that was close to this style. That was yrs ago.

Got the almost final stencil work done. Go tthe front end up - got Dingers fuel tank mounted in the JEEP - (oh yeah - there are also 2 jeeps in the garage). Loaded up his engine and taking that to the engine shop tomorrow - hopefully will get pics of Debs engine so you guys to not think I am putting a Tonka Toy engine in heres that pedals.

Tried to get the 3 screws that hold the brake drums on each side and was out of oxygen in the tanks - they are on with the grip of god. I will be going through the brake system and bleed the fluid by the time I am done.

PB - here are the two batteries I have for adding to the stock at CAMO for anyone that can use them - they are dry and I have the acid to fill them - they are 4HN's - I do have 4 of them.

Here are some pics from today.

Attachments

Capt.Marion

If you're just using the torch to heat up the bolts, I'd highly recommend just using a MIG welder or the like to weld a bolt or a nut onto each screw so you can get a wrench on them and really crank down on them. There's about a 75% chance you'll have to do that anyways... Besides, the heat from the welding on the screw will help break it loose some.

zout

I lucked out the other side of the 25% - refilled my tanks as they needed it anyhow - pinpoint heated the screws - ground down a non tapered screwdriver to fit tight - they backed right out.
Thank you Capt for the suggestion as well - it is appreciated.

I will need to order new cylinders/shoes at least for the fronts - have not gotten to the rear yet but I would not be surprised if they are the same. Front knuckle seals need replaced as well.

Brake drum hold down screws will get anti seize on them before reinstalling them.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Dave, I know the picture angles can be deceiving but will you have enough concrete real estate to roll that picker under with the engine hanging on it? From the pics it looks like the wheels might hit the yard.

Since for all intents and purposes, it will make it to the Rally in Oct, will you be out on the trails following Mark( Squirttruck) in his M37?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Hey Dave, I know the picture angles can be deceiving but will you have enough concrete real estate to roll that picker under with the engine hanging on it? From the pics it looks like the wheels might hit the yard.
Since for all intents and purposes, it will make it to the Rally in Oct, will you be out on the trails following Mark( Squirttruck) in his M37?
We will prolly bring the bobcat with forks when we bring up the power pack. Shouldn't be a problem.

Besides, we might see sumpin heavy we wanna steal!

Attachments

zout

rofl

I figured I might have to toss the front wheels back on if this sloooooow poke does not get the front brakes done by "injection" time - can always roll er forward a tad bit - I know I am not allowed to run powered objects - so hitting anything is not a possibility - but then again I fall a lot.

Bobcat - HEY - !!!!!!!!!!! Did I mention that big arse stump I needed shoved outta the way :D - and then there are those two piles of wood chips still lurking around :D :)jumpin:)

I am hoping to get something set up and finished before the troopers arive - Its a surprise for ya all down there - even if you don;t like it - you will have to be the one to remove it - cause I plan on putting in on permanent.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Z - You might want to have them throw a Bobcat bucket on the truck since the forks will not fill all your landscaping needs. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.