• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coming Attraction - project #6 M43 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldfart

Here is what those Power King tires look like up against the unit - tire needs to go to the other side as they are directional - but - gives you an idea.

I like those Power King tires. GD is getting a pair of near new ones off of one of our M101's. She is also getting a near new similiar tread off another of our M101's. We plan on switching the tires off her M43 to the trailers so they will still roll around the yard. Her old NDT's look much better in photos than in real life.

zout

This is really funny - I have to remove BLUE paint off the metal info plate yet to be able to read it. What is it with BLUE paint.

It is single 230/460 at 13.5 in the 230.
Neighbor is a professional electrician and will not be back from Canada till Fri night. Wanna hear the best part - GOT IT FOR FREE.

Danger Ranger

You got that sweet thing for free?!?! No way....

That looks like 80 gal? and what brand?

Those tires are great, I just wondered is all. Make sure to post finished products, please.

Oldfart

Zout,
Following up our PM's regarding M43/M37 gas tank fill necks, here are some photos of both applications. Our ORD and TM manuals show the fill neck assembly to be the same for both units. What we did find was that there is an attachment bracket with two bolt holes that secures the fill neck to the inner fender panel. Some of our M37's don't have that bracket soldered to the fill neck. We think that is a matter of the bracket breaking off at the lead weld and being discarded at some point to get rid of the rattling sound that would be made when the fill neck vibrated against the bracket.
First photos are M43 the rest are various M37's.

Attachments

Oldfart

These are the M37 fill neck photos

Attachments

zout

Gotta tell ya Olefart - I never expected pictures - and for you to take time to do that is greatly appreciated.

On the extended body of the 43 then is where the additional length of the pipe would fit into as shown. With the 34 - it just extends out the body.

I did see where that support (anti vibration) brace would fit and I am sure that is needed as well on this. The secondary tube must be for venting - and I see the lower side going into the tank also has the brace on it.

The folks up and Vintage Power Wagon (Tony) is checking used out in the yard to see if he has one. On their site NOS was only $40 - so it does not sting that bad.

Once again - I appreciate you taking time to do this.
dave

Oldfart

Zout,
Glad to take a look for you. It is nice to have our own parts yard. GD and I will be under one of our parts M37's dropping a flywheel pan to pull a couple of flywheel bolts this afternoon. It used to be I could buy things like that from the local nut and bolt wholesale houses, but there are fewer of those than in years gone by and these trucks are just that much older.

zout

Just waiting for a call back from then at this point to see if they have a used one.

Got the little frig in the garage full off liquid refreshments and believe I will work on hammering the crap out of some split rings tonight and get a couple tires broke down - cleaned up and mounted.

Nothing better than a (few) beers and a tire sledge and tire bars to ease the stress.

DAP

You are right my M37 has the plate that mounts to the bed to keep it in place. I don't know about the M43. I find it hard to believe that the plate would come off without wrecking the tube. Mine look welded on.
Wowo how many parts trucks do you actually have in your yard?

zout

DAO - not saying this is OF's collection.

But during the Great Depression all the folks that traveled West for jobs brought whatever they could with them in their vehicles. If they broke down during the trip and lack of trading of items - or bartering for repairs or parts they abandoned whatever they did not want to carry and continued on. Few settled where they were.

During the clean up of the vehicles off the road - the road crews gathered them up in selected areas. So still to this day in some areas you will find remnants of this out west. Some got stolen - some got sold - but they are still there. Later dates they just started crushing most ot those vast acres of vehicles.

Our old farm back in Mich still had all the vehicles (tractors) (plows) balers) in a pile or parked beacuse they did not trade them in or sell them - they just RAN WHEN LAST PARKED in the back 40.

zout

Fuel fill tube is on its way from Troy at Vintage Power Wagons who found a great used one - and really in-expensive.

Brake cylinders should be here by tomorrow hopefully - brake shoes getting re-lined locally - should be here tomorrow. I am going to use Silicone fluid by the time they are all done - less corrosive.

Zout busting what left he has of his a** to get tires broke down and new ones mounted.

TWM - its a 100 gallon air compressor tank rofl - worked on that a bit tonight flushing the tank and oil change on the compressor - cleaning the air filter - listening to Ole Rock & Roll on 106.7 - just all seems to roll along with great tunes from the past.

Just like GhostRider did - cutting my own gaskets for the fuel pick up on the tank and for the sender - going to spend a little time on the sender before I chuck er back in - I would like it a bit free'er than it is.

Stencil ordered from Larson - to remember to PROP the hood before slamming it on your noggin and putting the props up. - I guess you slam that hood on your head once - it won;t take a second time to remember to put the props up.

Oldfart

You are right my M37 has the plate that mounts to the bed to keep it in place. I don't know about the M43. I find it hard to believe that the plate would come off without wrecking the tube. Mine look welded on.
Wowo how many parts trucks do you actually have in your yard?
I don't count them anymore. Couldn't get to a couple to check the fill necks. Not all are parts trucks some of them actually run. I have owned an M37 since 1963 and I have been collecting parts since then. Both of my adult children have the same series trucks as well. AND I am still picking up parts trucks when I can.

Zout's tale about the Okie days and the migration to Kalfornia is sort of true except that some of the machinery piles were what accumulated over the generations on the farms. You don't scrap the old stuff because you might need a part for something else. Lots of those old collections of cars around here wound up being used to rip-rap dry washes that would flood and erode farm fields when a thunder boomer rolled by.

zout

I know its 95 out right now with 50% humidity - but when I get outta here I plan on having the last two tires broke down and mounted - all will be mounted then.
Loaded the frig with more beer so it wouild stop vibrating off the counter.

Shoes are done for the front getting re-lined but I won't be able to get my hands on them till Tue. Hopefully cylinders for the front will be sitting on my front porch when I get home - maybe even the under the hood stencile. Fuel pipe won't be here till Mon.

Got all the floor hardware for the rear - got the board - got the undercoating - finish the gaskets for the sender and pickup tonight as well (get those tires done first). Have to pick out what vinyl flooring I want to stick in the back.

I am color blind so I may have to request Deb to check them out for me - was thinking of a darker tan ?? Or just a very dark green (forest green I think they call it).
Everything is moving along at a good pace and looking upward for completion.

zout

All 5 tires are mounted.
Fuel fill pipe is almost in - need to pick up two new rubber hoses for the connection and the SS clamps. Will get that rear tail light harness repaired this afternoon - board is cut and marked for the floor. Vinyl yet to be chosen.

No brake parts arrived so I am dead in the water on getting that done. Will get the rears broken down and those set of shoes sent out for relining - will get a chance to look at those wheel cylinders as well.

With the flooring in - I can finish the underside coating and then final paint.

zout

Idea of what those Power King tires look like on the rear.

Zout has to get a burr off his mind:
Wiring - if you do not know how to properly do it - leave it the **** alone Or read how to do it right - get the TM's to do it properly - but do not hack it - cobble it or what was called n- rigging it. But you get the gest of the concept.

Di-electric grease is your friend
Heat shrink tubing is your friend
Heat shrink wiring connectors are your friend
A proper set of crimping tools are your friend.

What was called Scotchlocks - where you take two wires and crimp this stuipd connector together with bare wires in the middle is a piece of chit and should have never beeen made and a waste of natural rescources.

Taking a perfectly good wire - splitting it open and spreading the wires apart and wrapping a jumper wire into it and black taping it together is STUPID.

Here are some good examples of piss poor wiring by someone who probably called themselves a "mechanic".

All hacked - and had no clue on how this could have caused someones death from their poor and sloopy workmanship. If you have never seen wiring "fuse" and the results of it ask me. Newer wiring fumes will make you brain dead within seconds if it starts shorting out and you inhale the fumes.

Better off - if you cannot afford to do it right - leave it alone till you can.

This will take a full day of repairing properly at my speed - but all the crap was cut out before I got done - not to repair the damage. Flooring has to wait.

Oh Yeah - black tape does not seal anything no matter where you wrap it - moisture - condensation - barometric temp will corrode the wiring underneath if you do not take time to seal it an do it right the first time.

I feel much better now thanks.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.