• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coming Attraction - project #6 M43 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zout. I certainly share your frustrations. I just spent the last two days making repairs to my wiring. I have a full assortment of wire, rubber connectors and the crimper to do the job right. Plus connectors and heat shrink. I am a heat shrink fanatic. The best part is the satisfaction when you look at the finished product.

By the way, your wiring looks like the snake scene from the Indiana Jones movie.

:D

zout

Just to clear the air - that wiring went back to when the Civil Defense stuck a pintle on it and wired in the socket.

All the rear wiring is repaired -all the hacked - shorted - cobbled crap is in the trash can.
Cut the 1/2 in plywood flooring out and have that installed. I do have some really great undercoating with my undercoating gun I will spray the whole rear section when done back there. The two metal angle iron pieces are trimmed and fit into place - just have to find the right whole section of vinyl flooring I want to stick in there.

Still need a bezel for the spotlight on top with a bulb - will keep searching around for one of those. Not in the mood to buy an entire new replacement.

Will get the rear brakes tore down tomorrow - I ran out of Crown so my enthusiasm ran out to take the mosquito bites and feel no pain. These Power King tires are awesome and should make the ride to the GA RALLY 2011 very nice.

Attachments

zout

these are directional tires. I have one more that is kicking Zouts a** to break it - sazall comes out tomorrow and I will end this game.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Short hijack in reference to wiring. I have heard pros and cons to soldering connections. Can both be done correctly? I am currently using non insulated crimp connectors with heatshrink on my connections. I'm also using some unheard of brand crimper from when I was a kid. Makes the best damm crimps of anything short of my AF-8.

zout

My crimpers are made by Kline - basically for automotive/truck use. they have the cutters and two crimp areas on the head.

I have found soldering in non related ECM controller electrical useless - as long as it has a good seal and insulated it is fine.

The time for those needle poker electrical testers with the light in them are useless - you poke a hole into wiring today to see if its HOT and then run the vehicle into condensation - water related elements - two weeks later you can cut the insulation of that wiring back 2 ft each side of where you probed it and you will find GREEN corroded wiring.

Do the best you can to preserve the solid electrical connection from the elements - think long term when making those electrical connections.

I have made thousands $$$$ off someones electical repairs - first I repair it back to the way it should be OEM - then I will repair whatever is the problem from there - but all the other stuff done before then gets repaired at the owners expense FIRST - cash up front or find someone else.

Attachments

zak

Z I think they used a product called battleship linoleum for the the rear. I saw a restored wc ambulance with it and it was spectacular. Look in Hemming's I think there was a add for it in there. Mine was original and falling apart. It's color was a light gray.

Last edited:

zout

Flooring in and secured. That battleship vinyl would have been great - still might try to find some later - but this is what I have for now. I did cut the access hole for the fuel pick up and sender later.

Pulled down the rear brakes - have the cylinder and parts soaking in Evapo-Rust - these cylinders might be able to be rebuilt after I open them up and check them.

Anyho - this is where it is at. Front cylinders might come today UPS along with that under the hood stencile I got from Larson.

Attachments

Danger Ranger

Dang, I go away for a couple days, and look what happens, all this stuff done....
Those tires do look good on there, I love the look of the bias plys on old trucks. While you are doing the brakes and wiring stuff, has the engine made it over yet? Everything is lookin good Zout!

zout

THX DR.
"someone" has lost communication with the world - but I know the power plant is still on his mind. Besides - it was going to be a couple weeks down the road anyhow before anything could be scheduled.

There were rumors about being in Louisville for a show !! but without the evidence getting posted its a vicious rumor at this time.

I think I saw on Google about a TUTU fashion show up North someplace and who knows. There might have one that fit so tight it is pinching the extremities to where they cannot type - needs a parachute knife to cut himself outta it.

I should be real close to having the brakes done before the drop in date.

zout

Cooling off around here as it was just bumping 102 tonight down there.

Got the vinyl flooring cemented in - got both side rails in (these are basically angle iron to seal the edge.

Brake cylinders came UPS while I was down there - kind of tuned in like the sound of hearing a Huey coming in - HEY ITS THE UPS MAN and his BD cummings engine. Never mind - I get it.

Rear brake shoes went out today - fronts are relined - should decide tomorrow if I want to rebuild the rear cylinders or not - they are cleaning up nice in the solution. All should be back on 4 wheels by the weekend fingers crossed.

Still have to locate a bezel for the spotlight - hunt is still on.

Dang this baby is sure looking sweet. Stare out my back window and WA LA - there she is.

I do have the gas fired heater to stick in - but this will never fired up cause I have been hot enough this summer to last quite a while and I have been storing it up.

For those that do not post - thanks for checking out the thread - my humble gratitude. IN HONOR OF THOSE THAT SERVED

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
"Someone"

THX DR.
"someone" has lost communication with the world - but I know the power plant is still on his mind. Besides - it was going to be a couple weeks down the road anyhow before anything could be scheduled.
There were rumors about being in Louisville for a show !! but without the evidence getting posted its a vicious rumor at this time.
I think I saw on Google about a TUTU fashion show up North someplace and who knows. There might have one that fit so tight it is pinching the extremities to where they cannot type - needs a parachute knife to cut himself outta it.
I should be real close to having the brakes done before the drop in date.
Zout, "someone" needs a little manuever room to work an issue and then it's on.

It won't be long and then we can concentrate on getting that sweet M43 moving under her own power.

zout

I'm sure you know that engine is the last thing on my mind or even a concern.

That 43 will still be here whenever.
YOU just take care and whatever it is - I really hope the best as that is what counts my friend.[thumbzup]

Status
Not open for further replies.