• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coming Attraction - project #6 M43 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

zout

UNCLE - with arm twisted behind my back.

Spent the last 4 hrs trying to bleed the brake system. Bled the MC on the bench and she squirted like !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ah - cannot tell thta story here - but there was plenty of pressure on the full extension of the rod - you could see the piston come back and clear its almost rest position and gulp for another breath of fluid.

Installed it - no leaks - pump up the brakes many a times and hold the pedal and nothing out the bleeders. No fluid came out from any cracked banjo fittings either as a last resort to check. MC pedal never got hard.

Tore down again on the bench - double checked everything again to no avail.

Will order up a master cylinder come tomorrow morning from John up at Midwest Military - really really really wanted to get these brakes bled out so no one else has to do it (if you catch my drift).

Going to go play with the 109 as the clock for the 2011 GA Rally ticks down - I cannot wait and it cannot come soon enough.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear about the problems.

After I rebuilt all of my wheel cylinders and 2 of them continued to leak I decided to go with the new MC right off the bat rather than have the issue you're having now. I also ordered 4 new wheel cylinders and have to put them in yet.

Biggest problem I'm having now is finding the right color for an IDF painted vehicle. All of the modeling companies that make the color or have a variety of colors to mix the right one are OUT. Guess I'm going to have to try mixing my own:shock:

zout

I am color blind - so I could mix PINK or Lavender and be happy thinking I have OD on something. Till folks started laughing or pointing fingers at me.

Yup -seeing that this will be driven on the steets I would just as soon have piece of mind knowing at least the stuff was new. Brakes are surely worth the $ to invest in them - pretty much a no brainer.

zout

I wish to commend the CAMO group and PB for what is about to take place with the finishing work to this M43B1. I cannot express what they are about to do and how this effects me.

It goes without saying the dedication - and specifically to PB personally to want to make this unit in more of a restored state than what I could have ever done.

It does go back to CAMO whenever my time clock ticks out and I am more than extremely satisfied with this decision. The individual purchase and offering of the 43 to me to begin with, was not what this is turning out to be.

So - as far as viewers to this 43 coming back to life - there is more to the story than what is being told - and to be perfectly honest - it is non of anyones business than between PB and I. We have both come to equatable agreeements.

PB and the CAMO group are more than friends and there is NWH I would ever take advanatage of any of their kindness and heartfelt offerings - I would just as soon owe them - then they owe me.

Once it has been taken into CAMO hands - you can see it at the GA 2011
RALLY - I will pm those that have wanted to assist in the christening of the unit or engine transplant (like we could ever be of Tony or Troy's standards) (Those guys are frickin awesome) and I will notify them as soon as I know the time.

Anyhow - thanks CAMO group - I cannot wait to see your face when you come and steal it.

zout

M43B1 picked up by CAMO in awesome fashion.

It moves now to another home where it will eventually be anyhow, so I better get over it. PB has offered a rebuilt engine for the unit - besides the misc items I have not caught to bring it to operating condition.

I truely thank that group and their dedication to PB (and Bear) for making this what I could not have not finished before the 2011 Georgia Rally where its finish will be presented by CAMO as an addition to their fleet (once I am done using it and bringing it to events)

I could say its the last time I see the ambulance - besides seeing it roll out the field - and have no clue where they are obscoundering the unit to !!!!!!!!! But I know better. I see a BIG shindig in the very near future of an engine transplant and party and a drive around in the CAMO yard.

The last time they saw it - it was a hunk of rusted chit and ready for the scrap pile.

SEE YA ALL AT THE 2011 GEORGIA RALLY

Time to go work on the jeeps and get the 109 ready.

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
M43B1 picked up by CAMO in awesome fashion.

It moves now to another home where it will eventually be anyhow, so I better get over it. PB has offered a rebuilt engine for the unit - besides the misc items I have not caught to bring it to operating condition.

I truely thank that group and their dedication to PB (and Bear) for making this what I could not have not finished before the 2011 Georgia Rally where its finish will be presented by CAMO as an addition to their fleet (once I am done using it and bringing it to events)

I could say its the last time I see the ambulance - besides seeing it roll out the field - and have no clue where they are obscoundering the unit to !!!!!!!!! But I know better. I see a BIG shindig in the very near future of an engine transplant and party and a drive around in the CAMO yard.

The last time they saw it - it was a hunk of rusted chit and ready for the scrap pile.

SEE YA ALL AT THE 2011 GEORGIA RALLY

Time to go work on the jeeps and get the 109 ready.
Dave, this started as a team effort and that's how it will end. I believe we will all be proud of the M43 but let there be no mistake...that M43 is yours alone to have and to hold...forever.
THAT was the ONLY deal I made and THAT's how it is.

There was a snag on the way home howeveraua.
You know we ALWAYS comply with rules/regulations etc:)lol:) so we drove thru the weigh/inspection station on I-85 just as we are supposed to.
We got red-lighted to the back for inspection.

Suddenly, from out of nowhere...a bunch of Army people with Army guns surrounded us!! They were shouting and yelling obscenities at us and we were freightened!! They said they were gonna seize the vehicle!!!:-(

Then Baby Bear came out of the truck and started throwing fellers around like doll rags and beat them all into submition!![thumbzup]

BB climbed back aboard the truck and we gathered up the Army guns and put em in the M43.;-)

I wrote a quick note that said "this is what ya get for messing with ZOUT!!!
Of course I put your full name, address, and phone number on the note...along with a picture of you making er..."Cherry Juice".

Don't worry about a thing Brother...your baby is safe and sound inside the hooch. [thumbzup]

Attachments

Ghostdriver

The truck looks beautiful, Zout, and although I know you have to feel sad to see her go :cry:, she'll have a 6-cyl beating heart soon, and who can't be happy about that :-D.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
After talking to Zout this morning I am convinced CAMO may have saved Zouts life.:-D
Apparently, he (ZOUT) has been double-clutching and half-steeping about working on the Wifey's jeep!:cry:

Now he will have a few weeks to get back on track so Deb can tool around in her own jeep when not piloting the M43 at the GA Rally!:beer:
I'd REALLY hate to se him get his:

Attachments

zout

YOU could not have been more in tune with what happened to Zouts arse than you contemplated - see my current post with back on track with the wife's jeep (Dingers is a whole nother story).

Engine man will be getting the Chinese torture come next week - might even bring the water jug up there to move to step #2 - water boarding him.rofl

I kinda got a feeling PB and crew are going to want to put a tarp over that 43 down there so the shop is not fill with spectators wandering around it. They can get in it all they want to check er out - that is what it is for.[thumbzup]

scuz me while I go put some ointment on this boot print on my arse

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Well Zout...all the news is good news so far.[thumbzup]
Several CAMO members met at the hooch today and began laying out stuff to see what is needed to assemble a "ticker" for your M43B1.

You won't believe this, but EVERYTHING...pistons, rod/main bearings...everything is standard...no under/oversize ANYWHERE...and that's on BOTH parts engines!!;)

Also, Uglyranger came down to inspect your handy work. He used to own a high-end paint and body shop so when he says ya done good...ya did!![thumbzup]

Anyhoo...looks like we will just need new rings, bearings, gasket set and a little honing/polishing then put this bad boy together.

Here's a few pics, the last one is what she should look like when we have the "drop in party":

Attachments

zout

Pass onto Uglyranger I am not worthy. Besides the PLUS 100 Degree temps = Zouts assortment of bugs and insects - dust and whatever other debris was in the air - i did the best I could. Please tell him a humble THANK YOU.

That sure looks great in line with the rest of the 37's down there - that is a great photo PB.

I am continually stunned by not assuming anything nor taking anything for granted or getting my hope up tooo high or what I think might happen and just let it all drop and fall into place. Do what I can do 100% and folks like you and CAMO jump in and make this a great project that will last for years.

I did think of making a picture slide show on CD with AC/DC as the sound track but I might tone it down a big (but not much) to go along on the slide show.

I have no other words to say to you folks that you don;t already know how it makes me feel and PROUD to add this to the trucks brought back to life list.
Been looking all day on line for Viet Nam era medical gear and current gear to outfit the truck with so in case of an emergency - a current medic can jump right in there with up to date medical supplies and work out of it - now how fricking cool is that.
Presentation will be at the 2011 Georgia RALLY - or did I mention that already - too bad I will say it again.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PB, did the parts scavenging/collection day end with a buffet?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Pass onto Uglyranger I am not worthy. Besides the PLUS 100 Degree temps = Zouts assortment of bugs and insects - dust and whatever other debris was in the air - i did the best I could. Please tell him a humble THANK YOU.

That sure looks great in line with the rest of the 37's down there - that is a great photo PB.

I am continually stunned by not assuming anything nor taking anything for granted or getting my hope up tooo high or what I think might happen and just let it all drop and fall into place. Do what I can do 100% and folks like you and CAMO jump in and make this a great project that will last for years.I did think of making a picture slide show on CD with AC/DC as the sound track but I might tone it down a big (but not much) to go along on the slide show.

I have no other words to say to you folks that you don;t already know how it makes me feel and PROUD to add this to the trucks brought back to life list.
Been looking all day on line for Viet Nam era medical gear and current gear to outfit the truck with so in case of an emergency - a current medic can jump right in there with up to date medical supplies and work out of it - now how fricking cool is that.
Presentation will be at the 2011 Georgia RALLY - or did I mention that already - too bad I will say it again.
Dave, don't buy ANYTHING until I get a chance to talk to our guy with the military gear. (I'm a slacker)
He has all kinds of stuff.

I'll send him an email right now and see what we can come up with.:beer:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.