• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Command Cars of Fieldmarschal Erwin Rommel

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
What's with the drop at the front of the antenna?

Seen another rubber-tired WWI German APV somewhere with a similar down-turned antenna:

- Any HAMS or radioheads here to explain that?

View attachment 524459
And there was another halftrack with similar antenna but bigger. It was the SdKfz-251/3. The French Panhard armored car was also equipped in some cases with a frame antenna. There was also a 6 wheel version of the SdKfz232. It was very similar to the 8 wheel version.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I think the droop at the front was for brush rather than a signals function 'thing' but I could be wrong on that. In the case of the halftracks, the array could be lowered but it wasn't like a pop pop I'm it's up or down. I think it was a little more involved of an issue than that.

Another Ahab

What's with the drop at the front of the antenna?

Seen another rubber-tired WWI German APV somewhere with a similar down-turned antenna:

- Any HAMS or radioheads here to explain that?
I think the droop at the front was for brush rather than a signals function 'thing' but I could be wrong on that. In the case of the halftracks, the array could be lowered but it wasn't like a pop pop I'm it's up or down. I think it was a little more involved of an issue than that.
I'm going to go fishing in the Radio forum for a response about this, and see if anybody pipes up with an answer.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Horch 901 Kfz.15

Another of Rommel's various Command vehicles:

- apparently 4x4, but can't confirm if that's full-time or through a transfer case

- not sure what the canisters on the fenders are about

- link below has an album of features

And as noted in the center photo, sometimes even a Generalfeldmarschal has car trouble:

Rommel-kfz 15 I.jpg Rommel-15 Car trble.jpg Rommel-kfz 15 II.jpg

http://youtu.be/ZX2Sjno4L7g

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I saw a reference somewhere (or at least I think I did), about a Horch 901 Kfz.16 "Heavy Field Car":

- But no photo record I can find to back it up

So this pretty much wraps up the story of Generalfeldmarschal Erwin Johannes Eugen Rommel and all his Afrikakorps Command Cars.

Please have at it, if you got more to add. The End.

Rommel 15.jpg Rommel 21.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks