• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Commercial Deuce purchase..

tamangel

Curious as to what you all think about the 'refurb' processes that commercial vendors like Memphis, Boyce, Clark, Alfa, etc... I know you pay for the services they provide and condition of the unit out the door but for a person like me, who needs to buy an excelent runner w/ no issues (read not mechanically inclined except for grunt/gopher work).....which is why I shy away from GovLiq..Seems you end up, maybe, paying the same at the end of fixing everything vs a commercial offering.. or should I just wait until a nice-looking rig appears in the classifieds on SS...?

I was curious about the commercial guys anyway and any of your thoughts..

thanks,

Mike

dc3coyote

I had dealings with a guy from NJ called himself MV trucker probably on this site, as MV trucker
he was a straight shooting man, I only wish I could have bought one from him then. "personal family issues prevented it"
He did answer every domb question I had though, that requires a lot of patrience.
His prices werent bad though

joec

Good question......Like you said depends on your wallet. THERE ARE ALOT OF GUYS ON HERE THAT ARE SELLING THER FLEET OFF. Wich i would stay tuned to the classified or look at the bottoms of everyones sig. There has been quite a few over the past couple of months.

joec

Yes Joe Young is no longer selling trucks. But there are lots of guys that can recomend someone. Local to your area. Joe will chime in..MVtrucker is his name one here as coyote stated.

emr

Its true if You want a pristine truck it will cost 5 times what its worth, I have a deuce i have at least 25 invested in it, and more over the last few years, for me it was worth it, i learned every nut and bolt and i could not have paid for that knowledge, I put together a very nice one later for under 5 though, amazing what a little knowledge can do, but its not as nice as my baby, as for the Memphis idea, they are to big and just to independent they will not work with you, i purchased the whole turbo exhaust for over a grand and told him make sure i have everything they said i did, when i was short a 5 dollar item, they said i didnt ask for it? what? then after buying an injection pump a clutch assembly and the exhaust that summer i said would u throw me the 5 dollar part? they said no we dont do that, as for the nice write up in the MV mag, I wouldnt give em the time of day, U are in Caly, My nephew has gotten into the Hobby in a big way and has a mechanic working almost full time on his stuff, im sure it would be worth it to see some of his stuff being put together, top notch guy, and would be happy to share what he has learned too, PM me and i will give U His e mail, Im ready to spend the money as long as i get treated like im somebody, and I would want to see all the work on a close to daily basis, not going to happen at some big shop, my 2 cents, randy

badgmc56

It all depends on if you want a project or not. Most of the time you are better off getting something already done if it's done right. I have built many vehicles and it's almost always cheaper buying one finished. By the time you count parts and labor and what it takes to build a vehicle you could buy one done. I'm talking about real nice stuff not something that runs with a quick paint job or no paint at all. I keep saying I'm gonna buy my next toy already finished but I just can't help torturing myself. I guess I'm not happy unless I have a project or two in the works.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I curse project trucks the whole time I'm building them but I think deep down I really like it. It's hard to explain but I've had many projects that after I get done with them I loose interest ( I'm out looking for another project). Maybe it's ADD I don't know. We will see on the deuce. It's not finished yet.

If I won the lotto I think I'd still be out buying junk and fixing it up. It would be higher quality junk though :D .

tonidial

I actually just picked up my first duece last week I bought through govliquid after many years of waiting patiently. Paid 1500 with tax and premium for a 1970 something dropside with 3800 miles and 88 hours. Put 2 batteries in it on site, some PowerService Cetane booster in the tank, and roared 2 hours home. Aside from some surface rust and minor blemishes it is an awesome truck.

As for the man in Tennesse you speak of... he picked up 40 trucks that day, 5tons, dueces with bows and fresh looking tarps, dump trucks. I can only say thanks to his crew, cuase they pulled my duece out of the back of the line up and tried to bump start her for me (later learned the batteries had frozen and the fuel lines had air).

I've logged countless hours looking at auction pages and waiting for the less worn machines to become available, but that was my preference. Honestly I wanted something road worthy so the wife couldn't hold my obession against me :lol: .

I can only imagine the shame I would have had to endure if I called her and said I'm going to need a wreckerto get this thing off post and a lowboy to get her home cause I bought it site unseen and it needs these parts to move.

The day after I got back my brother-in-law met a gal not far from my house who says she her husband bought a duece with a brand new engine but missing some major component, and 5 years later it runs nice, but it just can't move.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought my first CUCV from boyce about 14 years ago. I still have it and it still runs. I've bought many parts from them over the years and have been to thier shop a few times. If you want a truck that you won't have titling issues and that you can drive home with out worring then a commerical buy is the way for you. If you wallet can handle it.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
m16ty said:
If I won the lotto I think I'd still be out buying junk and fixing it up. It would be higher quality junk though :D .
just added to my sig, glad to know I'm not the only one :D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe is a stand up guy. Everyone who meets him tells you that. Funny, as I sit here typing this I looked down at my shirt and realized I'm wearing a Mighty Joe Young tee shirt. Since it's going to be a collectors item, guess I shoudn't wear it anymore. Guess I'll have to steal my wife's unworn one when this one wears out.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't share the same sentiments about Memphis. At least in Chambersburg. I've always had great service from them. As for their trucks, I was going to go that route before I bought from GL as I needed a cosmetically acceptable truck that ran well for business reasons. Memphis has really nice trucks that are completely gone over. As Glen from Memphis explained it, their trucks are not restored. Restored trucks cost less. Which they can gladly do. The trucks they sell are just like they came from the factory. Sure, some might not have a bed on the back, but it's for a reason. They have comercial clients they are catering to. If I had the money I wouldn't hesitate to get a truck from them.

Don't know anything about the other vendors though. Have not heard horror stories though.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
m16ty said:
I agree with you there. One of the things I regret more than anything else in my MV owning history is buying my first MV as a non-running basket case fixer-upper, which was a lot of work and took loads of research and sweat equity. I should have bought a better quality truck as my first, that was at the very least, running and driving. The M725 basket case was a bit much, and took longer than I thought, and a couple times I almost gave up. If I had more $$$ to spend at that period of time, I probably would have passed on my M725 and bought something more practical and drivable than the pile of scrap metal she was.

But like you say, if I won the lottery, I'd still be buying junk, but better quality junk! :)

MVtrucker

4X4
Kenny,
Thanks for the kind words.
I recently sent my last sweatshirt to a customer in Maine, but his wife grabbed it!
Glad to hear you're wearing one. If I find any that I stuck away someplace, I'll send you one.

deuceman51

Although I never had any dealing with Joe Young I have to say I know his reputation well. In fact he got me into the MV hobby and he didn't even know it. I can't imagine how many hours in Study Hall in High School that I spent drooling over his website and wanting one of his deuces. Thanks for the years of service and the help you have given so many of us MV guys Joe!!

I spent a year of going on Joes website every day until I found THE truck. Anyone remember the pic on his website of a bunch of CUCVs lined up along his road? I'll never forget the trip to New Jersey to see MY truck for the first time. Joe was (is still) as cool in person as he seemed on the web. We got the grand tour. We got to see his Jeeps,his mutt ambulance, his m37s, his motorcycles, his beautiful m135. There were rows of 2 1/2 and 5 ton trucks. Two wreckers. I got to drive MY truck around Bridgeton, Joe coaching me all the way. We left for home and he shipped my baby out a week or so later. He even sent me new parts, months later. Can you imagine, a warranty on a 32 year old truck! I didn't expect that.

Talk about Mighty Joe t-shirts. We got a bunch. Still wear em. Everyone at Romeo High School knows who Joe Young is. My daughter (my soldier B) wears hers at least once a week. I was wearing mine at a meet somewhere and I got asked if I was Joe Young. The man is a legend. Joe Young is a certifiable gentleman and he rides an Indian too.

MVtrucker

Wow, Dave, thank you! I remember your purchase and seeing you later on at Aberdeen. I'm not selling trucks, but I have a lot of fond memories of when I did. Met so many great people and made so many friends.
That Indian gets ridden regularly, even in winter. I kept one of the CUCVS's for myself, a M1008 that I got from John Winslow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks