• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Commercial DL ?

Westech

CPL
Really? as the law states Yes. Air over hydro bakes and a GVW of over 26K.... Becuase of it not having Full Air brakes you most of the time will get away with not having one.. but you get one good cop and your busted.

BEASTMASTER

any truck with a gvw over 26k lds ,you have to have at least a class B comm. lic. some states to drive a three axel veh. i'm sure you're gonna get a lot of different answers though.

KsM715

I have searched but unable to find a definate answer online. Do you need a CDL to drive and own a 5ton?

Thats because there is NO definitive answer to this question on this website as you can tell. Here in KS, farmers AND their hired help can drive tandem axle straight trucks wilth a gvw over 26k with farm tags. (even with full air brakes)

Tlauden

I would get the CDL, at least class B, then there is no worries bout how picky a cop wants to be. Plus, personally, a CDL seems like a good thing to have. I'm in the early process of getting mine for my job, lots of studying to do:roll:

That's just my 2cents

Monkeyboyarmy

In Ohio, it depends on what you are going to use it for. Anyone can drive anything including an 18 wheeler without a cdl as long as it is not used in commerce (subject to change in the near future). But be prepared to be interrogated. I can think of more reasons why I wouldn't want a cdl if I didn't need it than if I did.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Yes and no.

Yes if you go over a certain Gross Vehicle Weight. You can bobtail an M818 and be OK, (in some states) if you put a loaded trailer behind it you get into CDL requirements.

No it doesn't have straight air brakes so you are exempt in some states.

You have to check your states requirements since there is no standard among all states.

In Ala I can drive a 800 series 5 ton cargo truck with Farm plates on it without a CDL.

In CA it is my understanding that you need some class of CDL for a deuce sized vehicle.

davidkroberts

in tennessee ANY 3 axle truck primarily used and/or designed for the transport of people or materials is required to have apportioned tags and CDL regardless of weight. BUT they have never said anything about my antique tagged M35A2 with antique tags. A m35 is below the 26000 lbs limit but according to regulation any three axle is required to have a cdl for operation.

I figure a 5 ton that is tagged antique and NOT used in the transportation of materials EVER you will probably be able to get away with it as being a collector vehicle. The law is real fuzzy when it comes to larger collecable vehicles. If you ever intended to transport anything other than yourself i think you are going to have to have a CDL. You kinda lose the arguement when your hauling a bunch of crap in the back of it just being a plaything.

So to answer your question its a resounding..... maybe

Last edited:

DieselBob

The state of Maryland does not require a CDL even for tractor trailers, single trailer non-hazmat. The key in Maryland is they follow the USDOT/FMCSA definition of a commercial motor vehicle.

" CMV definition:
Commercial motor vehicle means any vehicle operated in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—
(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 10,001 pounds or more, whichever is greater; or
(2) Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
(3) Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
(4) Is used in transporting hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placarding."

In Maryland, as long as you are not in a commercial activity, hauling for any type of compensation, all you require is a class A license. The biggest problem is that every state has their own guidelines as to the CDL requirement. Although they are suppose to honor the license from other states and that states requirements.

pmramsey

In Virginia, I run agricultural plates. These are not farm use tags. Unlike the farm use tags, the ag plates require an inspection but not a CDL if driven to move your own goods and equipment. However, there is a 150 mile limitation from any one of a farmer's leased or owned properties. No out of state driving. I can run up to the VA State line and cover almost all but extreme southern VA.

Where you live and operate, your intended use, and your occupation are all factors. Get a CDL. However, just don't show up to take your test in an M818.

tcody

Depends on your state. It is not always true that you haver to have a CDL if you are over a certain weight or if the truck has air brakes. You will need to research that issue in the state you live. For example many states have a specific definition for a motorhome that can be used as a basis to modify your truck and license it as such (shelter with required incidentals). Some state allow you to drive any vehicle over 25 years with historic plates (some limit it by weight). Some allow farm plates with no CDL as wreckerman notes. Make sure you have researched your laws and meet the letter of the law and are prepared to defend it if pulled over. If you don't you will be in big trouble and may not be able to get a CDL in the future.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please note that inthe excerpt from FMCSA that DieselBob provided, there is no reference to air brakes. That is a state added item NOT a Fed requirement. For what it is worth, the FED does define air boosted hydraulic brakes as AIR BRAKES.

davidkroberts

I ownded and operated two truck driving schools for 5 years....... and im not real sure for certain [thumbzup]

good luck. i was more intrested in getting out from having the apportioned tags than the CDL.

gmayor

Cdl

Gosh isn't the government cool. Makes you want to go.........Blay....Just think probably in 6 months CDL will change again. I got my CDL here in Missouri 10 or so years ago. I think it is good for 8 years at a time, more expensive, but don't have to stand in line every 3 years to get a new license.

ryan77

I believe in illinois u need one, Your better off just getting one!! Then having to be a lawyer when you get pulled over by the cop who doesn't know or care, Your Guilty untill proven innocent!!!!

ryan77

Under state and federal law, certain drivers are not subject to the requirements of the CDL program. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has determined that these exemptions will not diminish the safe operation of commercial vehicles on the highways. Although the following vehicle operators are not required to obtain CDLs, they are required to hold the proper driver's license classification for the type of vehicle that they are operating.
Farm Operators' Exempt (Waived)
The farm operators' exemption is intended to cover legitimate farm-to-market operations by farmers, not commercial grain haulers. CDLs are not required to operate vehicles that are:

• Controlled and operated by a farmer, a member of the farmer's family or an employee;
  • Used to transport farm products, equipment, supplies or a combination thereof to or from a farm (including nurseries and aquacultures);
  • Used within 150 air miles of the person's farm;
  • Not used in the operations of a common or contract motor carrier; and
  • Used in nursery or agricultural operations.
If the farmer, his spouse and their children, parents on both sides, brothers and sisters on both sides and their spouses are operating a truck-tractor semi-trailer combination or combinations and meet the above criteria, they are also exempted from the CDL Program. However, these drivers must be 21 year of age and the vehicle must have farm plates.
Fire Fighting Equipment Operators Exempt (Waived)
Because fire fighting organizations have extensive initial training and re-training requirements for their equipment operators, Illinois waives CDL requirements for operators of fire fighting equipment that is owned or operated by or for a government agency. The fire fighting and other emergency equipment must have audible and visual signals. The equipment must either be necessary for the preservation of life or property or used in the execution of emergency governmental functions that are normally not subject to general traffic rules and regulations.
Recreational Vehicle Operators Exempt (Waived)
Illinois waives CDL requirements for drivers of a recreational vehicle that is operated primarily as family/personal conveyance for recreational purposes. This includes motor homes and travel trailers.
Military Vehicle Operators Exempt (Waived)
United States Department of Defense military vehicles being operated by non-civilian personnel for military purposes are exempt from obtaining a CDL. This includes any operator on active military duty, members of the Reserves, National Guard, personnel on part-time training and National Guard military technicians.
Township Employees Exempt (Waived)
An employee of a township or road district with a population of less than 3,000, who operates a vehicle within the boundaries of the township or road district for the purpose of removing snow or ice from a roadway by plowing, sanding or salting, is waived from the CDL requirements. This exemption is allowed providing that the employee who ordinarily operates the vehicle and holds a properly classified CDL is unable to operate the vehicle or is in need of additional assistance due to a snow emergency.
BACK TO CYBERDRIVEILLINOIS.COM HOME PAGE

DieselBob

When I use to have my CDL it only lasted 5 years just like the regular license and cost twice as much not to mention the every 2 year medical ticket, more money. I dropped to a class A because I wasn't driving commercial anymore so couldn't see giving the state extra money for nothing. 2cents

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
in tennessee ANY 3 axle truck primarily used and/or designed for the transport of people or materials is required to have apportioned tags and CDL regardless of weight.
I'm not going to deny your credentials but I'm pretty sure this is not correct. I know for a fact that you do not have to run apportioned tags. A matter of fact they will pull your apportioned tags if you do not report out of state miles in any given year. If you primarily travel in-state only they recommend you run commercial or farm weighted state tags. I have a commercially operated KW running 80,000lb TN tags. My other trucks do have apportioned tags but I don't run the KW out of state very often. When I do I buy the permits.

Also, in TN you are not required to carry a CDL if you are a farmer hauling farm equipment and products (you have to stay withing 150 miles from home though).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks