• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

commercial passenger seating regulations

martinrdb

Does anyone know of the DOT passenger rear seating regulations for a Deuce ?
I run a business and now have a need to occasionally take customer participants in the back of my Deuce. Obviously the deuce is all commercially registered and insured.
Is the military installed side bench seating legal as it stands ?

Thanks for any help
Martin.

houdel

Good question. School busses don't require seat belts for the passengers; I haven't ridden in a commercial bus for about 20 years but they didn't have passenger seat belts then and I doubt they do now. Don't know about troop seats though, as the riders are facing sideways as opposed to forward facing. Seems to me I have ridden in airport shuttle busses with sideways facing seats and I don't believe they had passenger seat belts either. I'd be interested in the answer to your question. Have you asked your insurance company? They might have the answer.

You might also email Cabell Garbee at cgarbee@ipass.net. He is a member of this site and works for the NC DOT, he might be able to answer your question.

martinrdb

found the answer to my own question

basically no problem with seating - all legal.

Intrastate law requires you to have a CDL if carrying > 15 people on a commercial basis.

Martin

martinrdb

I spoke with the the
Federal Motor Carrier, Safety Administration, Jefferson City MO 65102 tel: 573 636 3246

web site : http://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/Publications/Handbooks/SHP216.pdf#search='vehicle%20regulations%20carrying%20passenger%20missouri'

martinrdb

shoot - just found out that the above is true, but the stipulation on the volume (=< 15 people) is based on what the truck was designed to take by the manufacturer, not by what you/I would limit it too. To this end, I now need to know what the manufacturer limit is set as - I have raised another post asking this question.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks