• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Common oil leaks?

Duecer187

Hey guys, I have a 1970 m35a2 and I've noticed a few leaks. The engine was suppossedly just redone like 3000 ago but that was 10 years ago. Anyways what are some common leaks on these engines and drive trains? I have notice the oil pan seaping to a drip. Oil pan was loose tightened it up still does it so I'm sure that will be on the list soon. The ip was also leaking oil and fuel supposedly it was just rebuilt too and I found loose bolts on it. I tightened them up still leaks so I have the gasket kit for it. The main one I'm worried about is at the back of the engine where it mounts to transfer case. It's a slow leak. Do bolts normally come loose on these old trucks like this? How many of you deuce these trucks with small leaks? Any help or insight is greatly appreciated thanks!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys, I have a 1970 m35a2 and I've noticed a few leaks. The engine was suppossedly just redone like 3000 ago but that was 10 years ago. Anyways what are some common leaks on these engines and drive trains? I have notice the oil pan seaping to a drip. Oil pan was loose tightened it up still does it so I'm sure that will be on the list soon. The ip was also leaking oil and fuel supposedly it was just rebuilt too and I found loose bolts on it. I tightened them up still leaks so I have the gasket kit for it. The main one I'm worried about is at the back of the engine where it mounts to transfer case. It's a slow leak. Do bolts normally come loose on these old trucks like this? How many of you deuce these trucks with small leaks? Any help or insight is greatly appreciated thanks!
That's the transmission not the transfer case , the transfer case is back further with a jackshalf to the transmission.
Most all have small leaks they are 40 to 50+ year old trucks. The common leak in the bell housing is either a overfilled transmission or the rear main seal on the crank. First thing is to determine what type of oil it is motor oil or gear oil.

Be sure to download the free TM's
[h=1]TM's for the Deuce[/h]

Duecer187

I honestly don't know why I typed that I meant transmission it is engine oil for sure. Yeah I'm just making sure stuff like this is fairly common I don't want to cause more damage by driving it. The leak on engine showed up after this cold weather spell we had.

sandcobra164

Most common leak on mine was the front cylinder head. It would leak oil where the head met the engine block. It was just enough to be a bother but not enough of one that would make me do a cylinder head gasket replacement. Perhaps a very slight sheen down the passenger side of the engine block after a long hard run but only enough to be absorbed by dust while sitting next to a dirt road. I did have the occasional drip from the threaded hole on the bellhousing that you are likely concerned with. It was never a drip that dropped onto any surface but I'm sure it's why my transfer case was always oily on the outside. It was always black as would be any diesel oil contaminated by combustion bypass but it was never enough to really be concerned with. I checked my engine oil as part of my pre-trip routine and never added unless it reached the 1st mark on the dipstick. That was actually quite rare. My longest trip 1 way was 190 miles to an annual get together. That truck made it to 5 of those and back without adding a drop but to be fair, I did annual oil changes. Search around and you'll see why we get excited if a member posts up that Tractor Supply Company has Rotella T marked down in 5 gallon bucket stock!

rustystud

Haha dang! Well so you pretty much just carry oil with you and keep an eye on everything before during and after each trip?
YES ! Also remember old cast-iron will actually "seep" oil as it is a porous metal. That is one reason I always paint the insides of all my transmission and differential rebuilds. Again as has been already mentioned, these are 50 + year old vehicles. They will have "worn" bolt holes which can leak and other things caused by vibration over years of use.
So, yes carry your own oil where ever you go.

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think someone used the term "road oilers" & it fits these trucks 100%. Mine is a 64 model & she has a few small leaks, but its her personality.

Duecer187

Is there anyway to get them not to leak oil by replacing gaskets or will they always leak? I've noticed some people have some really nice trucks

rustystud

Is there anyway to get them not to leak oil by replacing gaskets or will they always leak? I've noticed some people have some really nice trucks
In all honesty it would take a considerable amount of work to stop all leaks. You would be basically rebuilding the whole engine. Painting the engines insides with that special paint ( cannot remember the name right now) would be the first step after totally cleaning the block in a good "hot tank" . That hot tanking would be critical as it would boil out the oil in the cast iron. Then you would need to use quality gaskets and sealant every where ! Really, who is going to go through all that !

18operator

Some fuel leaks around the IP may be caused by the fuel lines becoming brittle and developing hair line cracks. I was wondering why my injection pump was leaking towards the bottom, but after sitting under the truck for a bit watching everything I notice the line dripping down from the middle. So I changed the line. No more leak.

Duecer187

Yeah.. I'll probably just keep an eye on things I've just noticed more and more leaks coming up but I won't be sinking that much money in it. If something gets bad enough I'll deal with it then. Thanks for all the insight and help!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hot water with Dawn dish soap and wash the engine. Put some miles on it, sometimes leaks will seal up if an engine/chassis has been dormant for a long period of time. They will not seal up if capscrews are loose but if they are tightened up, they might. 50/50 chance.

pjwest03

Harley's, British Leyland cars, Detroit Diesel 2 stokers, and Deuces: If there's no oil under it, there's no oil in it.

Jericho

My deuce don't leak. Jut marks its territory! ( from the bell housing , and some where on the passenger side of the block, But not enough to worry me, Just some brake cleaner and OIL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks