• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Comparing m101a3 and m1101

xiongy

I don't have the trailer any longer, but my notes say the outside dimensions of the cargo box are: 7'1" x 7'7"

Sorry Guys for the old thread. Anyone know the length (bed dimension) between M101 vs. M1102? I am in the same boat between the trailers. I have a M10a2 for my M109a3, but looking for something that my Land Cruiser can tow. I dont plan to have a cover. From the picture above the 1102 is little wider. What about the length?

Thanks

Lex

zarathustra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a thought...

You can do this with an M101A2/3 trailer....

Contact the vendor who makes the surge brake. Mendenhall Industries, I think they are in Myrtle Beach.

They make an adjustable coupler for those surge brakes that will replace the lunette, which means that you can bolt a Bulldog 2" ball hitch right into the adjustable coupler as well as adjust the height of the unit.

It's easy to do, just take the M101a2/3 surge brake apart, toss the lunette into the recycle bin, and install the adjustable coupler. Since they are factory substitute parts and are (internally) identical you 'll end up with a safe unit. I replaced the shock absorber just 'cause it was apart. And, if you want the military lunette at some point in the future, I've seen lunettes that bolt to an adjustable coupler as well.

I had to add a few links to the safety chain 'cause the tongue got a little longer after the install.

cpf240

I don't suppose you have part numbers, pictures, etc? This would solve a problem for me, and allow me to put the trailer back to stock if needed...

Here's a thought...

You can do this with an M101A2/3 trailer....

Contact the vendor who makes the surge brake. Mendenhall Industries, I think they are in Myrtle Beach.

They make an adjustable coupler for those surge brakes that will replace the lunette, which means that you can bolt a Bulldog 2" ball hitch right into the adjustable coupler as well as adjust the height of the unit.

It's easy to do, just take the M101a2/3 surge brake apart, toss the lunette into the recycle bin, and install the adjustable coupler. Since they are factory substitute parts and are (internally) identical you 'll end up with a safe unit. I replaced the shock absorber just 'cause it was apart. And, if you want the military lunette at some point in the future, I've seen lunettes that bolt to an adjustable coupler as well.

I had to add a few links to the safety chain 'cause the tongue got a little longer after the install.

zarathustra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are two pictures of a brand new adjustable coupler connected to my M101a2 trailer. The third picture is a picture of what the actual adjustable unit looks like. That third (Beige) coupler is used mil surplus and I'm going to install it in an M116A3 trailer next spring.

I don't know part numbers, but the Mendenhall site will direct you to the correct part, or you can simply call them and tell 'em what you need.

But the nice part about this is that this part is manufactured to fit in the unit, so there is no non-standard welding of non-standard parts to deal with.

Also, if one wants the lunette, Bulldog makes a lunette coupler that will bolt right into the adjustable coupler.

Mendenhall bought out HydroAct -- I suppose you might find some info searching on Hydro Act, or perhaps it'll just refer you to Mendenhall.

Good luck...

ZarathustraKIMG0631.jpgKIMG0632.jpgKIMG0633.jpg

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

Dimension diagram as
M1102 cargo trailer dimensions.gif
M1101 and M1102 dimensions
General
Maximum Vehicle Weight4200 lb (1905 kg)
Curb Weight1460 lb ( 662 kg)
Maximum Payload Capacity2740 lb (1243 kg)
Hull Unitized body construction using aircraft grade aluminum and chromoly steel
Dimensions
Overall Length132 inches (335cm)
Overall Width 85.6 inches (217 cm)
Overall Height 52.5 inches (133 cm)
Track Width 72.5 inches (184 cm)
Drawbar Length (from axle center to eye center) 93.2 inches (237 cm)
Drawbar Eye Height 29.5 inches (75 cm)
Deck Height 34.5 inches (88 cm)
Ground Clearance (Laden)16 inches (41 cm)
Running Gear
Suspension Type Fully independent progressive rate trailing arm suspension
AxleTubular steel
Spring Media Progressive rate torselastic rubber chords
Shock AbsorbersTelescopic, direct acting, one per wheel, HMMWV compatible
Wheels 16.5 X 8.25, two piece steel, HMMWV compatible, 8 on 6.5 inch bolt pattern
Tires 37X12.50R16.5 Goodyear Wrangler M/T, with 30-mile runflat inserts, HMMWV compatible
Brakes12 inch x 2 inch free backing hydraulic surge brakes with automatic breakaway actuation. Independent lever-operated left and right side mechanical parking brakes.
Electrical System24 Volt DC sealed lighting system with blackout convoy lights, 12 pin connector plug mates with HMMWV
Performance
Max Speed (Primary Roads)55 mph (88 kph )
Max Speed (Secondary Roads)35 mph (56 kph)
Max Speed (Off Road)20 mph (32 kph)
Departure Angle 39 degrees
Turning Angle80 degrees
Fording60 inches (152 cm)

Last edited:

KaiserM109

I have a couple of M101s, an A1 and an A2; same bed, different axles and tongue. They aren't wide enough between the wheel wells for a sheet of plywood (4') and not quite long enough. You can't put up the tailgate by 1/8".

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The nice thing about the M101A3 is that it has 55" between the inner fenders. The A1 &A2 only have 45".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks