• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

comparison m1008 to m1009

cucv11

Hello all, its been awhile since i posted on here. I have been on GL alot waiting for a good candidate to come along that's some what close to my house and i found a few m1008's and one m1009. The m1009 is on craigs list and it says it needs a new fuel pump and a few odds and ends. The price is 2,000 and i think i can probably talk him down more. The m1009 also has 89k miles on it.

The m1008's are in various states of decay on GL. One appears to be in good running condition but i can tell its going to sell upwards for 3,000. They have two others complete with bed cover but are a lot more rusty and look like they will need more work. However, the description not knowing how accurate it is, says that it will be operational with a jump start. I am guessing that the battery must be dead and hopefully it wont have bad alts. I have a budget of about 2,000 total to spend (including repairs). I would like an m1008 for hunting so I have something to carry my deer back in.

Now, I know that the m1008 has steeper gears. 4:56? So it is going to suck on the hw. Eat fuel like a pig and has the potential to have alot more go wrong with it since it has been sitting on a GL lot for years rusting away.

However, the m1009 despite the fuel pump would be more practical since i could use it as a daily if i needed too. I heard that it gets upwards of 20mpg hw which is pretty decent considering the truck size. Also it seems the there are alot more m1009's then m1008's. I read somewhere that GL is starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel as far as the gen I CUCV's are concerned.

I am worried that if i end up winning the auction on the m1008 that it will be nothing but a headache. However, it would be really nice since deer hunting season is starting to kick off. I dont like the idea of sticking a dead buck in the back of an m1009 and having its blood run all down the floor boards and under my seat.

Whats your guys take? I have heard that GL and DRMO sell you parts bin vehicles that are missing various pieces. I just really dont want to jump into something thats going to be a money pit.

acetomatoco

You have to look at em and you need to be making a decision as to whether you want a pickup or a Blazer...engines and trannys are the same... one is a one ton and the other is a halfton in GMs lingo..they are all maintenance intensive. You can put a reese hitch on the blazer and a deer carrier plugs into it..If you gut the deer it will not bleed all over your pristine cucv. The fuel pump could be only a guess as to what is really needed on the Craig's unit...could be any number of fuel related things... you have to decide.

Croatan_Kid

I, for one, lucked out I believe. I bought my M1008 for $2350 after an intense bidding war with another bidder. I looked at the pics and it was on the same marine base I work on, I guess I could have gone and looked at it, but I never did. I could tell by the pictures that it wasn't hurt or rusted much at all. Everything was still there under the hood, the only things it was missing were the tow hooks (all 4). Mine had a new windshield, spare tire, good interior for the mostr part, etc. Since I saw everything under the hood I knew I could get it to run even though it was listed as non-running. Turned out to be a dead battery and since I had brought a pair with me I tossed one in, checked the fluids and it roared to life. That's really a great feeling :D Just study the pictures of whatever you want to buy as closely as you can. GL is required to take accurate pictures of each lot, they got in trouble a while back for not doing that. For instance, my truck had a drip pan under it, something was leaking. It was the radiator cap :shock: Big deal right? Just little things like that can give you big clues as to the state of repair of a given vehicle.

As for the M1008 or M1009 debate....I would go M1008 every time but that's just because I don't like Blazers. Besides the M1008 is a 5/4 ton truck, it's a beast! So it has really low gears, my solution was to build a 700R4 transmission and put some 35s on it to give it overdrive and make it highway friendly. You can get 20mpg outta the trucks too, then slap on a turbo kit and get more power. Just some things to consider and I hope I helped you out some.

underdog

http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=2&pid=0
http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=2&pid=1
I prefer the M1009 It is very manuverable and can travel at interstate speeds.
You put all your gear in out of the weather and if in the right condition even lock it up.
Warning though.
If you like to pull a trailer. They are a bit strange. The short wheel base (shorter than a short bed pickup) causes some issues.
Then for some reason it lacks the ability to control a trailer.
Meaning trailer brakes are pretty nessasary.
Good luck.

OffRoad

does the M1009 come up in Pickup version?

or normally SUV version?
the M1009 comes in the SUV version your seen, the Chevy Blazer. The pickup version is the M1008.

the 09 is a 1/2 ton SUV. it's rated at 3/4 ton by the military but it has 1/2 ton axles. the 08 is a 1 ton pickup. it has different axles. it's rated at 5/4 ton (1 and a quarter) by the army.

there is no 1/2 ton pickup you can buy. not an official one that's all camo and stuff anyway. you can buy civilian base maintenance trucks and stuff like that, but thy're not CUCVs.

i hope that's clear for you. if you have more questions, i'll be happy to answer them. good day.

maritimer

in the warm sunny weather i remove my top completly and leave it off, the rear seats fold forward and give you just about 6 ft of deck space * i can fit a double stack queen size air mattress back there easily, which is great for when i can get a sitter and wanna take the mrs to the beach for a nice romantic moonlit supper ;), less sand in the bad places lol.
being a daily driver and having a famiyl the m1009 made the best sense to me as i can use it t ohaul stuff or use it to haul my family around. wouldnt mind some deeper gears in it but meh it works for me as it is might go deeper when i get my g/f's explorer going and can afford to lay it up for a few weeks