• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Compatible transmissions for the M35a3 with the cat 3116

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
it is hard to get real true information sometimes, but i do not think there were 6000 a3's made. all 1545 trans were lockup, 545 were not.

This link is what I found out when I looked at the same question. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?66399-m35a3-transmision-question-6.html Post # 60 involves a tranny swap.
Yeah, I think there are probably mechanical automatic transmissions out there that would fit but I don't have the time to research is as I am at best a novice when it comes to transmissions.

That is why I am leaning toward changing out the axle gears to the 4.9 that Ouverson makes.

Last edited by a moderator:

duramaxdiesel1

all you have to do is look at your vin #. the last 4 digits are the # of which your vehicle was made. yes there was only 5600 made. definately want to change the tires if going over 55mph. most of these were original on these trucks from the 90s with dry rotting and only rated for 55mph. if one of your front tires blows out this truck will roll over and would be a major catastrophy. just make sure if you do anything to the allison tranny use 15w-40 oil not tranny fluid. thats what they used in them. im leaving mine just the way it is. spend the $600 on the locking hubs. it makes the steering easier and increased mileage a little bit. to me thats the cheapest way out. less wear and tear on the front end.

all you have to do is look at your vin #. the last 4 digits are the # of which your vehicle was made. yes there was only 5600 made. definately want to change the tires if going over 55mph. most of these were original on these trucks from the 90s with dry rotting and only rated for 55mph. if one of your front tires blows out this truck will roll over and would be a major catastrophy. just make sure if you do anything to the allison tranny use 15w-40 oil not tranny fluid. thats what they used in them. im leaving mine just the way it is. spend the $600 on the locking hubs. it makes the steering easier and increased mileage a little bit. to me thats the cheapest way out. less wear and tear on the front end.
I have never heard anyone say to stick with the 15w-40 oil in the transmission. All the posts I have seen on the subject have said to replace the oil with transmission fluid. Mine was replaced and I don't plan on switching back.

trukhead

yes there was only 5600 of these trucks produced between 1993 and 1999. in my manual i have for this truck it doesnt mention any lock up torque convertor. this is what the manual says it has the allison at-1545p constant mesh tranny. 1st gear 3.45 to 1, 2nd gear 2.25 to 1, 3rd gear 1.41 to 1, 4th gear 1.10 to 1, reverse 5.02 to 1. the weird part is that they used 15w-40 diesel oil in the transmissions. you would of thought tranny fluid would of been used. my truck does 55mph foot to the floor up and down hills now. all i did was installed locking hubs on the front end to make the front tires turn freely.
For giggles check out this thread, It cover the whole discussion.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?91267-what-better-oil-trans-fluid-3.html#post1170960

:beer:

Last edited by a moderator:

duramaxdiesel1

i guess i'll be changing mine to atf according to what ive read on here. i was just going by the manual i had for this truck. didnt know you could change to a different fluid. thanks

jaymcb

This might be off topic, and it is almost certainly a stupid question but what would happen to the truck if you changed the gearsets on the back 2 axles, and left the front one alone? At least with my truck, 95% of the time I do not have the front axle engaged. The times I would have it engaged, would it just spin the wheels faster up front? Or would it blow apart the transfer case because of the split speeds? Not much off-road time in my 109. Just wondering.

trukhead

This might be off topic, and it is almost certainly a stupid question but what would happen to the truck if you changed the gearsets on the back 2 axles, and left the front one alone? At least with my truck, 95% of the time I do not have the front axle engaged. The times I would have it engaged, would it just spin the wheels faster up front? Or would it blow apart the transfer case because of the split speeds? Not much off-road time in my 109. Just wondering.
The only stupid question is the one not asked.

4.90 gearsets make the wheels go faster. Different drive shaft speeds going into the transfer case make for surfaces that were once turning at the same speed now turning at different speeds. This difference is similar to installing lockkouts on the front axles, one drive shaft turning under power versus the other not connected and turning as a result of drag against the lubricant in the axles and in the transfer case. Is there adequate lubrication in the transfer case between surfaces that are not turning at the same speeds?:popcorn:

jaymcb

I don't know. I intend to put manual locking hubs on the front. If there's anyone who has put the Ouverson gearset in the A3 and can say it still moves, it would be good to know....especially if they've done bigger tires.

I'm just wondering if the small percentage of time the truck would be in 6x6 if it would be OK.

It's just hard to swallow 4200 in parts, plus labor to make it happen. 3k is easier, at least if the transfer case doesn't blow the first time you use 6x6. Then the 1200 would seem like a gift.

mudguppy

the rears would be trying to over-run the fronts. this will put a ton of stress on the already stressed front axle and transfer case.

with such a large mis-match (4.9 vs 6.72), I believe parts may break your first time out. smaller mis-matches (10% or less) are much more tollerable off-road. only very small mis-matches (1% range) are tolerable on-road.

my $0.02.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i think it is still WAY cheaper in the long run to put a 3053 trans in. heck it would be cheaper even if you bought my od gear set as well. assuming you can do the work yourself and i assume you can as the r&p swap gets real $$$ if you have to pay someone to do it. we already know that there are new flywheels available cheap for the 3116 and the 3053 bolts right in. your only real issue is the clutch linkage and stuff from an A2 should fit.

tom

For a 6x6 tom may be right as far as cost goes but there is also greater uncertainty since there isn't much information on this transmission swap. I don't know of anyone who has done it and if someone has done it then I don't believe they have shared any of the details on this site.

If you are planning to bob the truck into a 4x4 then the 4.90 gears are probably the more cost effective route.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
well, it has been done in reverse, a 3116 has been put into an A2 and that requires all the same sort of changes. even for a bobber the od kit gives better choice of off road and on road gearing since it only changes 5th gear.

tom

Yeah, but respectfully, $2,400 for two 4.90 gears just seems easier and cheaper with far less unknowns than doing a whole transmission swap and having to add your gear set. I appreciate that you have it and offer it and if I owned an A2 I would most definitely have your OD kit installed. For an A3 bobber though I think the 4.90's are the cheaper, less troublesome route. If staying a 6x6 then your solution may be equally as good. I really wish someone would actually do this swap so that we could all learn from it and remove a little of the uncertainty from the equation. :beer:

jaymcb

it's just that the 3116 sounds a heck of a lot better around 2200 than 2700. Maybe Ouverson needs to have a buy 2 get one free sale :) <ya, right>

How much work is it to do a R&P set? x3 now. I haven't even factored that in yet....

it's just that the 3116 sounds a heck of a lot better around 2200 than 2700. Maybe Ouverson needs to have a buy 2 get one free sale :) <ya, right>

How much work is it to do a R&P set? x3 now. I haven't even factored that in yet....
Don't know how much "work" (labor) it would be if you were to pay to have it done. The Ouverson 4.90 is $1,200 per axle. :tinkerbell:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks