• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Complete Hmmwv Not Running "What is it worth"?

cldh35611

I have found a complete non running HMMWV! What is something like that worth? I think I can get it for around $12K. I would love to have one of these but I can't fork out the cash for a runner! It is the 6.2 diesel.

I have already read some of the posts that say don't bye someones junk but it will be the only way i will ever have one.

Thanks in advance!

Darrell

TedG

Pay now or pay later is very accurate. You should check the frame rails for rust and any dents. Find out why the engine is inop and then smell tranny fluid. If fitted with a deep water fording kit, check the tcase to see if it overfilled. If so, then the vent inside is cracked. Look for metal bits in the differential (pumpkins), etc. To make a driver, replace all hub seals, all ball jounts, all tie rod ends, all brake lines, validate the brakes, replace half shaft boots, check steering wheel column for being bent, etc. See how it can add up! Pictures help as well...for the turtle tops and doors can add value to the price

regards,

moleary

I don't think $12K is unreasonable for a complete HMMWV. That being said, if the economy keeps tanking then you might find one under $10K soon.

I paid $24K for a slant-back, and dropped another $4K-$5K into it. That being said, I'm pretty happy with the deal.

Michael

You really haven't told us enough to help you much. What is the status of the title? Is it complete but rough or mint condition with a blown motor ? You basically have to decide how much it will take to get it into shape plus how much of your time vs what a nice one is selling for now and do the math.

I once saw an ambulance body with stripped rails sell for over 8000 on GL. At the time I thought that was ridiculous. Others though it was a good deal. They reasoned that all you had to do was add 15 to 20 thousand dollars worth of parts and you would have a rebuilt truck. The fram with the serial number was the only hard part to find. I guess I still think it was reduculus, that is why I don't have one. :wink:

cldh35611

I just found out about it today and I have not seen it! I called about parts for one of my other trucks and found out about the hummer. He is going to send me some picks and a description of what goes with it, so I don't know much now. I was just trying to get some input so I know what to look for and about what non running trucks cost. I am a virgin to the HMMWV market and I need basic info.

How much is a basic truck with a complete drivetrain not running?
What is the value of each type of top? soft, slant, ambulance, doors?

I am not even sure of what other options are available that I need to be asking about?

What about parts availability? some easy, some hard, depends on the part? Are all the parts expensive? Where is the best place to find parts?

I am sorry about being uninformed about the topic that we are discussing!

Thank you for any info that you can provide. I will update what this vehicle is equipped with as soon as I find out.

Thanks soooo much,

Darrell

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HMMWV parts run the gamit from cheap to big $$$$$$$$.. If you get pics of the trucks and pos them, we can be alot more helpful.

jwaller

there are too many variables to say right now but thats exactly how I got mine. I bought a nonrunner for a lot more money than what your talking about but it was a very nice titled truck with a trailer.

pics and more details please.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only thing that would keep me from buying a complete non-running HMMWV for $12K (aside from the chassis rust issue mentioend above and assuming I wanted one and had the money) would be if it was stolen. Short of that, $12K for a complete HMMWV, assuming it is fairly clean, is cheap. I paid $12K previously for a truck that needed everything, including a motor. The motors are all over the place and, if you look, you can find one for less than $800!

readyman

It's a High Maintenance Money Wasting Vehicle.:roll:

And like Emmado22 said, Austin Aviation has gov't liquidation prices while Kascar has military retail.
One way or another everything is available. My personal favorite was finding a replacement HMMWV TOW missile cushion, kinda restricted, but eventually available from a guy on Ebay.

Attachments

bigkofjustice

I've seen a complete M998 ragtop, in parts [rolling chassis, drive train in boxes, all used] for sale in Los Angeles for around $8,000. It was someone else's project and it had to go.

A friend of mine restores HMMWV's using new parts when needed and when it's all said and done, it usually runs him about 20 grand to completely refurb a HMMWV.

I didn't have the space for it otherwise I'd love to get a HMMWV project truck to rebuild.

bigkofjustice

What is the value of each type of top? soft, slant, ambulance, doors?

Darrell
Tan insulated soft tops are fairly cheap, Kascar has new insulated tops, for $400, with rear curtain costing about 100$. These are the newer style rag tops with the front channel instead of the snaps.

Doors can vary, Civilian style doors OEM are a grand each, but you can get them used for half that. I've seen canvas doors go for cheap, and armored surplus doors go for 200-400$ each.

Ambulances, surplus I've found for around $2000 or less. There the helmut 4 door/wagon utility covers [fiberglass] being sold by a guy in Texarkana,TX for about 200$ a piece. Some with tool boxes on the sides.

Slant/Turtle backs can get crazy expensive because everyone wants one for their HMMWV for softop H1.

Cheapest I've found was 2000$ for an incomplete rear, I've seen some run up to $15,000.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks