• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Complete list of bolts for the rear bumper of an M1009

niferous

I couldn't find any threads that said the sizes and quantities for all the fasteners for the rear of these trucks. So I went through the TM and made a list.

Overall List:

30 - 1/2 in nuts
30 - 1/2 in lock washers
30 - 1/2 in flat washers
8 - 1/2 in x 1-1/2 in carriage bolts
8 - 1/2 in x 1-1/4 in hex head bolts
4 - 1/2 in x 3 in hex head bolts
4 - 1/2 in x 2-1/2 in hex head bolts
4 - 3/8 in nuts
4 - 3/8 in lock washers
4 - 3/8 in flat washers
4 - 3/8 in x 1 in hex head bolts
6 - 1/2 in x 2-1/4 hex head bolts (fine thread)
2 - 7/16 in flat washers
2 - 7/16 x 1-1/4 hex head bolts (fine thread)

This is what I'm getting from TM 9-2320-289-20P. I ordered everything in grade 8 exceot for the carriage bolts and they had it in stock. I will pick it up this afternoon and install the bumper tomorrow night. I'll post back up and let everyone know if anything was too short or if I had any kind of problems.

Edit to add: Also I will get a list together that shows what each part number out of the TM translates too. I'm about to head out though so all I had time for today was what is above.

Last edited:

2deuce

I would order those bolts in the softest grade. I just removed a bumper and it was a PITA. I wish they would have twisted off. If somebody hits you back there the bolts won't make a difference anyway.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For reference, when I replace bolts, if the bolt is required for a structural part, always Grade 8. If high strength isn't really required, always stainless steel. Cuz I NEVER want to deal with rusted bolts again....

2deuce

If its rusted, I like it when it twists off. When I took off my rear bumper most of them squawked all the way off. I should have used a torch.

niferous

The problem I was finding with all the factory bolts was that they were not zinc coated with the exception of a few. Everything I got to replace them is zinc coated and I plan on using an anti-seize compund.

I’ve also heard the argument that grade 8’s are more brittle than grade 5’s and that’s why you shouldn’t use them. Well, first you need to understand what the term “brittle” really means. Brittleness in bolts is defined as failure at stresses apparently below the strength of the bolt material with little or no evidence of plastic deformation. Typically, fasteners are not brittle below 180 ksi ultimate tensile strength. Grade 5’s have an ultimate tensile strength of 120 ksi and a grade 8 fastener has an ultimate tensile strength of 150 ksi. This is why brittle is a relative term. Nearly all fasteners are considered ductile except some made from PH 15-6 Mo, 17-4 PH and 17-7 PH.

Biggles

I thought everything was metric on these trucks, or is that just the engine?
It's a long boring story but I too was under that impression, but I can tell you for certain that the nutplates in the bracket for where the fire extinguisher bracket is mounted on the transmission hump are standard machine screw threads. . . . . . I haven't really checked anything else yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks