• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Compressor blowoff whistle?

acme66

When your compressor shuts off and auto releases head pressure, all the trucks I am used to (school buses mostly) pop, hiss sharply and stop. On my 923 it pops, hisses sharply then tapers off with a whistle over about 10 seconds. My gut feeling is that the pressure release is sticking, I just wanted to be sure it wasn't a normal 5ton thing before I dig into it. Tried a search and didn't see any threads.

Ken

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your referring to the sound the air governor makes after the truck is shut off, yes, that is normal.

acme66

No as you drive and the compressor brings the tanks up then kicks out. I am used to a whoosh and done not a whoosh and then a long slow whistle. Just curious if it is a normal noise as I am still learning them.

Ken

rangereter

Ken, Are you running an air dryer? At what pressure do you hear the relief occur? Where is the relief happening at, at the governor, pressure relief valve? If your governor is not sending the cutout/unload signal to the air compressor, then you would be hearing a relief valve blowing off which is louder and takes several seconds to discharge pressure below relief setting (and cycles frequently whether any air is used or not).
Regards, Bob

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just rebuilt my air dryer on my M931A2; while reading through the instructions for the 6026 kit (with the large spin-on filter), it specifically says that when the dryer filter needs to be changed, it will start whistling.

In case anyone pulls this thread up when their air dryer starts whistling...