• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Compressor going bad?

bones1

Trying to stop my compressor "rattling" as well. I don't see any brackets to adjust the belt tension so I suppose it is all in the bolt on the pulley???.

Last edited:

Danl

Danl M915A1

So why does mine make the same noise and it's gear driven?
I got a few more things to do on my truck, and than I'm going after the air, I can here the noiseway back ti the air dryer. I will try to keep you posted on what I find , be mid september Ok

hoop

Channellock 20 1/4in. Tongue & Groove "Big Azz" Pliers is my costom wrench.

bones1

I just tried this and it looked like the pump has a large thread on the end of it and the pulley is threaded?. Anyway the pulley moved about 30 deg clockwise. I tightened the the 3/8 bolts and started it. I think it is much looser now as I have noise, a different, larger ball bearing noise and the belt flops wildly on the bottom side of the pulley. I held the nut on the back of the pulley, that's not addressed in the video so maybe I shouldn't have held it.I do have the special tools for the air compressor although I don't see anyway to get to the 3/8 bolts with the spanner in place ( it blocks the heads of the bolts, can't get a socket or open end on them). What simple step am I missing?

sandcobra164

Take the bolts completely out when using the front compressor wrench. It'll go right on. Now, holding the rear of the pulley with your other wrench, rotate the front pulley clockwise to tighten. I only get about 1/8 to 1/4 turn. I then turn the motor over (make sure your fuel is still cut off). I then go back to the pulley and see if I need to adjust it some more. Reinstall the bolts when your happy with your adjustment and enjoy the ride.

bones1

Thanks Sandcobra. I can get the wrench on with the bolts in place I just have to remove it to tighten or loosen the 3/8 bolts. I thought I had to keep the spanner on to hold tension on the belt while tightening then tighten the bolts, like on an old Chevy trk, which is impossible with the spanner in place.
Maybe a couple of my ex's were right!
I will take another look....................

Last edited:

bones1

Took the bolts out and it adjusted fine.
The rattling noise is much quieter but is still there. Do these compressors fail often or do most of them make similar noises?. When it is not pumping it is very quiet.
Wouldn't want to replace it if this is the norm.

Heavysteven

Sounds fine to me....if your still worried replace the belt, clean the inlet filter, and replace the air governor. Go around to the fittings and use some pipe dope to seal things up.

I had a similiar concern but after running the piss out of the truck yesterday my air compressor sounds great.

Danl

Danl M915A1

I was working on my truck today My son 26 years old stop by . My truck was running , and Jake said ,"dad you have a air leak I could not here this leak over the sound of the truck. we broke out the soap, and sure enought , a half inch line between tank had wore a hole in itself in the hanger that had a bunch of air line in it. after fixing this good leak, the noise in the compresser and air dryer seemed to of gone away. maybe it put more head presser on things and shut the rattle down. also and I'll know more in the am but it seemed to take a long time to build up presser in the AM. so with the leak fixed I'll see how long it take to build up presser now.

bones1

Mine is still rattling pretty good but now I do hear an air leak I believe behind the cab somewhere. Can I pressurize the system with shop air to hunt the leak?.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i think you should be able to do that just by hooking up a hose to the rear emergency glad hand. just be sure not to go over 120 PSI. I dont think there is a check valve in there to block the air from going back.

Jas0n

Man I'm glad I found this thread... I thought I was going crazy too, or my compressor was going out. When I fire up my deuce and it has zero air pressure at first, it sounds fine. Once pressure starts building up it sounds like there is a freaking ball bearing banging around in there somewhere... I *thought* it sounded near the air compressor. Once pressure builds up, I hear a *click* and it smooths out like butter. I was starting to think it was the compressor, but I do know the belt is quite loose and I need to tighten it. Hopefully that will quiet things down. Also I guess I'll pull that intake off and clean it good. Will report back once I tighten the belt. I'll try to make a video tomorrow though so others can see if this is the noise theirs is making too...

With your deuce powered off, how long does yours hold air for?

JCKnife

Mine will hold some pressure overnight. Not full pressure but still had some in the tank after 12 hours or a little more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks