• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Compressor pulley wrench

Oerthedge21

My compressor base gasket recently sprung quite an oil leak. Finally bought a new gasket and went to out it in, only to realize one if my compressor wrenches is gone, specifically the big square shaped one. Also noticed that my pulley is cracked in front where the bolts run through it. My question here is 1) can anyone give me the measurements for the wrench so I can make a new one? And 2) does anyone know of a place to get a new compressor pulley for a reasonable price? I checked a few sites but they wanted around 100$, which I thought was absurd, but I could be wrong. Are they really that valuable?

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought one a while back from C&C and the open end wrench spread out and was no use. I'll take get a pic in a few. The cross shaped wrench did well though. Wasn't too expensive. And shipping wasn't near easterns prices. They were just cut out of steel plate.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
can anyone give me the measurements for the wrench so I can make a new one?

Added real dimensions since that PDF is not exactly to scale...

Pulley tool.PNG

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just use a crecent wrench on the shaft side and a pipe wrench on the pulley side, don’t need no stupid home made wrench for this.

DavidWymore

Just use a crescent wrench on the shaft side and a pipe wrench on the pulley side, don’t need no stupid home made wrench for this.

I agree, that's how I've done it when at the shop where I have big wrenches. I wanted something to keep in the truck for on the side of the road. I saw some for $25 and ordered...they are thin and I doubt would work. Haven't tested yet. I can measure if you want dims, and remake them at work thicker if there's interest for people who don't have big wrenches handy.

DavidWymore

I also probably have an extra pulley around if you want it (I wouldn't bother trying to weld the cast) but would have to ship from SoCal...

Oerthedge21

Yeah the pulley is cast and can't be welded. As for the wrenches I have the open ended one, it works great and I didn't have any issues with it stretching open at all. I suppose I could jam a pipe wrench in the front in place of the cross wrench, but making one could be a fun little project too, which was really the only reason I asked.

Floridianson, let me know about that wrench, I'll happily pay shipping if it's not too much.

Gringeltaube, I can measure the open end wrench for you when I get home later if you want the measurements of it

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just used a "flat wrench"
Is it not 1-13/16"? or was it 2-13/16"/ I can't remember
Still have it someplace. That and Kroil and extensions and 9/16" and anyhow if you just loosen it and crank the engine it will get tighter. That is the design.
Like all loose but not even a wrench on it.1588177631151.png

Last edited:

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can weld cast Iron by the way. But you have to heat up part and use specific rods. PITA. But it can be done. Easier to use a big wrench and a pipe wrench and get a new pully or half.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Oerthedge21

Yeah I'm familiar with the process, and that's exactly why I'd rather just replace it, especially because it broke right where the hole is for the bolt so it would have to be machined as well and it would not be a cost effective solution.

Frank, is that actually how the tensioner works? I thought it had to be done by hand I had no idea it would tighten itself when loosened

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Mr. [the idea man on many things, ] Rustystud, had many posts on this subject.
I defer to those that of course know more than I, like just about everybody...............

So I searched back more than 20 pages and it was a couple of whiles ago. So I give up.
Anyhow, what direction is the compressor pulley going anyhow.

Loosen Her. Me thinks that this is all One needs to bring it into specs, tight wise I mean.

If she be loose than just crank engine, no start and check it to be good.
Me thinks design is to never come off. Why you got left handed nuts on your studs, anyhow. See Dodge inventions. Kroil is your friend.

No compressor pulley ever came off by itself. Lot of torque compressing air be required. No one ever found one loose.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gringeltaube, I can measure the open end wrench for you when I get home later if you want the measurements of it
Thanks for the offer, but not necessary.
That hex on the backside is an odd size; exactly 45mm. So either you have a 1-13/16" open-end already, or take an old, worn 1-3/4" and grind it to fit, or be happy with a large crescent wrench, as NDT suggested.

Years ago I made me a custom wrench already, 46mm. Little play but good enough...

20200429_165111.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks