• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Compressor Pulley

JRBAMATEX

I am working on changing all the belts and hoses on the Deuce and replacing all the hose clamps with T-Bolt hose clamps. In the process of doing all this I have been trying to figure out the best way to deal with the compressor belt and the pulley. I was working through a post with some of the guys the other day and they told me that I would need a special wrench to deal with this situation. That’s cool and I am all prepared to work on the acquisition of said tool when I finally get to the pulley. After pulling out the radiator and really getting in there where you can see things I found the pulley pictured below. I thing that I can just loosen or remove the two bolts on the front of the pulley and at worst have to put a mondo wrench on the back part o the pulley and should be able to separate the pulley without the special wrench. Please take a look at the pics and tell me what you think.

Attachments

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
right, but you need to turn the front without compressing the slots where you loosened the bolts, plus the threads may not want to turn plus you have to overcome the friction of the belt as you have to make one side slip. hence the special tool to turn the front.........

jasonjc

Ask there are one or two guys on here who have had the wrenches made and are selling them. $20-$30 I think. And from doing it myself, let me tell you, you need the wrench. It will be a good investment.

JRBAMATEX

What if you took the bolts on the front pulley all the way out and then took a piece of flat stock 1/4 X 1.5 inch steel and bolted it to the other side of the pulley in the hole where the bolts had been only bolted to the side where the threads are. Thus making a handle. You would use a bolt that was not long enough to go through to the other side so that you would not pull the two side together and by doing it this way you would actually be pulling the slot apart. Does that make sense as written?

littlebob

I looked for pictures, but couldn't find them. I had to remove the pully on mine because it was frozen. I spent a few days using penetrating oil and heat. I was able to loosen it when I put the pinched side loosley in the vise and used animpact to remove the other side.I bought a wrench from one of the other members here that helped tighten the new belt up without pinching the front. I don't know if you could tighten it properly without the wrench.
littlebob

Blythewoodjoe

If you are cheap like me and have a good understanding of physics, you can do it with two proper sized pipe wrenches. I have no doubt the special wrench would work better. I changed mine with two pipe wrenches, but then again, I was pipe-fitter for 15 years 8)

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It can be done w/o the cool little wrench, or, with a BMF crescent on the back and another BA pipe wrench or the equiv. on the front...Having tried both...that's why I got the correct tool. 1/2 the time and you don't mess up the pulley. IMHO, since you got the rad. out of the way, do all the hoses. The cooler pipes are tight to get out with all the stuff installed up front.

JRBAMATEX

OK good advice from all. I am normally a big believer in the right tool for the job but I am a little pressed for time on this deal. Gonna give the pipe wrench a try first and then after I screw up the pulley I'll call memphis for a new pulley and order the wrench from RDM.

Wish me luck

Blythewoodjoe

Re: RE: Compressor Pulley

JRBAMATEX said:
Gonna give the pipe wrench a try first and then after I screw up the pulley I'll call memphis for a new pulley and order the wrench from RDM.

Wish me luck
I love to see a guy that is touch with reality. Good luck and remember, if it looks like you are about to break something, don't be surprised if you do :roll:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Compressor Pulley

I love to see a guy that is touch with reality. Good luck and remember, if it looks like you are about to break something, don't be surprised if you do :roll:[/quote]

How true! aua

devilman96

RE: Re: RE: Compressor Pulley

If you CAREFULLY tap a screw driver into each slot to spread it A LITTLE BIT and hit it with pen oil and a few hammer taps on the pulley to work the oil into the thread they will usually spin right off no problem... If you tap the screw driver in to far the ears go "snap" so pay CLOSE attention.

Cutting the old belt off first helps heaps also...

JRBAMATEX

RE: Re: RE: Compressor Pulley

Thank devilman96. Your suggestion was right on. It worked like a charm.

Thanks to everyone else as well. All great sugestions. Hopefully I wont need to do this again for some time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks