• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Compressor pullies are from the hot place

Banshee365

I cannot remove the front part of the compressor wheel to remove the belt. I followed the TM as far as turning it CCW. I do not have a compressor wrench I just have a few pipe wrenches big enough to fit. I had 3-4' pipes on the wrenchs and it wouldn't budge. Finally one of the clamping ears broke so I need a new compressor pulley. Anyone know where one might be and how in the world to remove this one? What about impacting that center nut out? Will that allow the entire pulley to come off. My exhaust came off so much easier than this freakin' pulley. Any tips on removing it so I can replace it now? The hex part on the back of the wheel is almost fully rounded off now from the work. I tried heating it, penetrating lube and lot's of leverage and nothing budged. Thanks guys.

-Kelly

acetomatoco

Easier to take the compressor off and work on it on the bench... I have never had one which would not turn free... you did loosen the bolts so the outer half could rotate?.... Easiest way to remove belt is to cut it...if you want to make it easier, take out the radiator...

Banshee365

Radiator is out and if I cut the belt I stll have to put a new one on. I want to make things like they should be. Can I get the pulley assembly off without removing the compressor. I can just see it flopping around my bench after 30 mins to remove it. Is the pulley pressed or just keyed? I'm sure it wouldn't be as easy as a slipped/keyed fit.

-Kelly

BEASTMASTER

don't use pipe wrenches ,they have a tendency to apply uneven pressure on the two halves.my buddie got some wrenches from ford to remove fan cluthes and the biggest one fits the compressor flanges like a glove. someone on ss is selling them and it's worth it to pick one up. aua

jwaller

I'm sure you loosened the 2 clamp bolts that secure the front half of the pulley to the center shaft? and I dont know about removing it from the truck bc if your pulley is that stuck you will need something to hold it while you try and loosen it. I would spray a liberal amount of rust buster on the shaft and let it soak.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using a pipe wrench on the front half of the pulley won't work. When you get a grip on it the wrench ic closing up the split area that was loosened by the 2 bolts. Get a compressor wrench, life will be easier. If RDM is out, our new member Latrine Commander, makes an awesome one. It's several inches longer and works wonderfully. I got one from him many years ago and it's never let me down.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After loosening the clamp bolts i took 2 large flat screwdrivers and drove them into the splits. This loosens the clamp on the threads. Then i had soldier "B" or wifey hold a wrench on the back side of the pulley. Then i used the screw drivers to rotate the front pulley. This didn't work well but it did get the job done. U might try putting some penetrating oil in those threads also.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
B-4 I had a compressor wrench, I used an 18 in crescent on the back and a belt wrench on the front, not on the hex where the pinch bolts are, around the outside of the pulley. No rust gitter, loosened right up after 10+ years. RDMs wrench is "Da Bomb", just loosen the bolts, no need th remove them all the way, and off/loosen it goes. Thank RDM!

Banshee365

How do you remove the entire pulley assembly from the compressor shaft? I removed the nut but I'm guessing it's somewhat pressed on. I need to invest in a good puller, maybe I can find one that will work.

-Kelly

littlebob

I had the same problem. I had my radiator off and cut the belt. I couldn't get the two halves apart on the truck. I've already ruined the seal on my steering gear by adding heat, so I took the complete pulley assy in the vice. It took a couple days but I was patient and used a lot of penenetrating lube and a very big three jaw puller and was able to remove the complete assy. Once I got it off I spent a couple of days of penetrating fuid squirts and heat to finally get it off.
After getting them apart I bead blasted and repainted the parts. I painted the pieces and they would not go back together. When you get it apart make sure you mask the male part of the pulley where it goes in to the female part and vise-versa. Also make sure to put it back together with anti-sieze on the male/female parts and threads.

Good Luck , Be patient
littlebob

rdixiemiller

I still have some wrenches on hand from the second batch. PM me if you need one. $25 delivered to your door. Just be a little patient, I have a lot of family health issues with my parents, in-laws, and wife that are keeping me behind on getting things mailed out in a timely fashion..

rizzo

rdixiemiller said:
I still have some wrenches on hand from the second batch. PM me if you need one. $25 delivered to your door. Just be a little patient, I have a lot of family health issues with my parents, in-laws, and wife that are keeping me behind on getting things mailed out in a timely fashion..
I got mine RDM. Thanks, it looks great.