• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Compressor ran low on oil

GusXI

First post on here. I've got a 1971 M35a2 AM General with the hercules engine. I periodically check the oil every few trips but apparently slacked a bit too much, still not sure how it got so low but regardless I screwed up. Idled it for about 5-10 min and came out and noticed the low air pressure buzzer was still blaring. Shut it off and opened the dump valves on the tanks, nothing. Strange, started her back up and she started idling a little rough, a bit of waver to the RPM's like a cold start. Hopped in the cab, checked the oil pressure which was at ZERO, panicked and killed the engine. Checked the oil, which was low. Topped it off and started it briefly and it idled fine but still no air pressure. I guess the compressor got starved of oil and seized up. I'll check when I get home and see if it's the single or double cylinder style.

So my question is, what's the next course of action to fix this? Restart, warm up, and rev a tiny bit and see if I can get the compressor to kick back on? Or do I need to check the oil for metal fragments first? I didn't see anything on here regarding rebuild kits so I guess if it's trashed I'll need to replace it.

Thanks!

rustystud

I'd go with Chris's (gimpyrobb) offer of a good take-off one. The cost to rebuild the compressor would be three times the amount of money to just buy a good used one. The last time I rebuilt a compressor I had to go with over-size pistons and rings. I don't even know if there available for our military one.

JKELLS

I do not know how to show my threads on here. But this is exactly what is happening to my deuce. Same type. i am currently waiting on pulley oil seal o rings for the center pulley. Gonna flush it and check to see if I need to get another compressor. I ran my deuce on low oil for too long (dipstick reading incorrectly) so I had metal shavings in there.

rustystud

I do not know how to show my threads on here. But this is exactly what is happening to my deuce. Same type. i am currently waiting on pulley oil seal o rings for the center pulley. Gonna flush it and check to see if I need to get another compressor. I ran my deuce on low oil for too long (dipstick reading incorrectly) so I had metal shavings in there.
Are you saying you had "metal shavings" in the air-compressor ? Or the oil pan ? If you had shavings in the air-compressor then get a new one. Don't even mess with it. The connecting rods have no bushings or bearings. The rod rides on the crank journal. So if it has gone bad there is no way to rebuild it except to replace the rod or rods (depending on which compressor you have) and hope the crank is OK along with the piston or pistons and cylinder bore. When the factory rebuilds one of these, they cut (or sand) the rod down and then "rebore" the end. Most of us don't have access to this kind of machinery.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should probably keep posting to one of your other threads to keep from derailing this one . It looks like you have a more serious issue than the air compressor. But I linked your other threads for you and for others to offer advice ( but rather than hi-jak this thread hopefully they will post in one of your threads).

[h=1]leaky oil (dipstick problem)[/h]
[h=1]Metal Shavings[/h]
[h=1]Terrible sound[/h]

rustystud

You should probably keep posting to one of your other threads to keep from derailing this one . It looks like you have a more serious issue than the air compressor. But I linked your other threads for you and for others to offer advice ( but rather than hi-jak this thread hopefully they will post in one of your threads).

leaky oil (dipstick problem)

Metal Shavings

Terrible sound
Is this all the same problem or different problems your having ?