• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Computer GPS in vehicle question

wikallen

You can usually find an older version of Streets and Trips with a USB GPS for 20 - 40 bucks. Then use any GPS software you want. I used to do this in my Bronco for mapping runs on jeep trails up in the mountains around Needles. Now I do the same thing on android.

TacticalDoc

the one i had and most for what i know it is only an antenna and software. the antenna is usually USB input to the laptop. for the blue tooth to work you have to have it built into your laptop or a antenna dongle that plugs into your usb and makes the antenna on the roof wireless. blue tooth not really necessary if you hard mount the computer and thus running a wire i believe is better because the blue tooth roof antenna requires batteries.

the map is stored on your computer thus and to get the software updated you have to buy the new map version. you also have to buy a map for each country you plan to take your truck go to mexico or canada and you wont be on the map anymore. Updates only add all the new roads and such that were built since the last update. so it can be another $50 bucks a year or more if you want to stay current. otherwise you can use the map you have forever because it resides in your comuter not on a server that your phone is accessing.

thanks for information. I dont need it to be updated often and usually do a mapquest search before driving anywhere. Looks like I'll go with a program and wire/usb antenna for under 100 bucks

quickfarms

You can download a trial version of the Pharos software from there web site. There trial software is limited to three open maps. This can be an issue because of how the maps are broken up. The good part is the map updates are free.

mikey

Coming from a guy who has had both, I'm telling you get a separate unit, hands down.

Just when you think you have your maps and directions locked in and you're good to go, there will always be something like a windows update, a blue screen of death or a low/dead battery to interfere with the GPS software and really annoy the sh!t out of you...

Sometimes it's better to spend a few extra bucks, if you have it, than to deal with the headaches of saving some coin.

Mikey

TacticalDoc

Coming from a guy who has had both, I'm telling you get a separate unit, hands down.

Just when you think you have your maps and directions locked in and you're good to go, there will always be something like a windows update, a blue screen of death or a low/dead battery to interfere with the GPS software and really annoy the sh!t out of you...

Sometimes it's better to spend a few extra bucks, if you have it, than to deal with the headaches of saving some coin.

Mikey

it's really not about a 100 dollar difference. its about the advantages
- bigger screen
- more functions
- one less item to have or add
- better reception wit the antenna on the roof

battery life doesnt matter since its plugged in to my car

The advantage of a hand held gps is the portability

But still good points

6x6TRex

I have CoPilot Navigator 9 and it works pretty good, not as accurate as some newer GPS's but it gets the job done. The main downside to it is the maps aren't able to be updated but for $17 on evilbay right now you cant go wrong!

Load the program on the laptop, throw the antenna on the roof and away you go!

mikey

it's really not about a 100 dollar difference. its about the advantages
- bigger screen
- more functions
- one less item to have or add
- better reception wit the antenna on the roof

battery life doesnt matter since its plugged in to my car

The advantage of a hand held gps is the portability

But still good points
Bigger screen? Yes. Touch screen? Probably not. Good luck trying to close pop ups from windows or your antivirus with a touchpad while driving.

Better reception? No.

Better software? That's subjective. My garmin portable is unbeatable. Not to mention I use it in my deuce and on my motorcycle too.

Mikey

richingalveston

get them both

for the cost of the current lap top versions, or even a fleebay deal. get the laptop version first, try it a while. if you feel you need better, get the handheld. this way if one has a problem you have the other as a back up. the handheld can be thrown in the glovebox until needed or be available if you go on a hike or other excursion where your truck will be parked.

I suggest getting the laptop first since it is the cheapest. it will also give you some experience so when you shop for the handheld, you will have a better idea of what you are looking for and you can push the bigger purchase down the road for a while and still have a toy to play with.

cadjak

You have not said what function you want the GPS to fulfill. Turn by turn navigation, tracking your trip, finding nearby resources (Gas stations, banks, campgrounds, rest stops, campgrounds, restaurants, topos).

I don't know about other brands but Garmin will let me add "points of interest" that are downloadable online from a variety of sites, and then lets me to find everthing from the nearest Starbucks to national forest campgrounds, and zoos. I have, and use, 3 different Garmin GPS units and an Android smartphone. I also have a bluetooth GPS that works with my netbook as well as my smartphone, in case the built in GPS on the phone is not pulling in enough satellites.

Screen size on the laptop is good for viewing the map, but it is the speakers on the devices that will allow you to actually navigate safely, onroad, while driving. As far as smartphones needing a phone signal to use the various navigation programs, Google is getting ready to release it's maps for "offline" viewing. Which means, the navigation programs on a phone will work where there is no phone signal and the maps are stored on the phone.

My phone allows me to be communicating with my laptop as well as my computer at home. As far as storage goes, between the memory on the phone, and in the "clouds" I have around 120GB available.

You haven't said what you are using your laptop for, but unless it is vital to have access to it all the time, there are smaller and more flexible solutions these days. It looks lioke you could use a bit more room in the cab of your truck.

cadjak

Good on ya...check out POI Factory | new & interesting places for your GPS There are tons of things that could be useful to add to your Garmin.

What is your battery set up? I am in the middle of trying to improve mine. I am looking at a high output alternator and larger cables. (What the audio folks call a big 3 upgrade.) Judging from your gear, you have checked into this sort of thing already.

TacticalDoc

Good on ya...check out POI Factory | new & interesting places for your GPS There are tons of things that could be useful to add to your Garmin.

What is your battery set up? I am in the middle of trying to improve mine. I am looking at a high output alternator and larger cables. (What the audio folks call a big 3 upgrade.) Judging from your gear, you have checked into this sort of thing already.

2 batteries and battery isolator
my lights run off my secondary battery
the radios run off my primary
the isolater allows the alternator to charge both but if one gets drained it wont affect the other

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks