• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Confused about front ends

humble1

I've looked through other threads but I'm not sure I completely understand the two different types of front ends that come on military trucks. Below I state how I understand each of them, please correct any misunderstandings.

Type one: Sprag operated- automatic engagement based on wheel slippage

Type two: Air Activated- driver operated from the cab

neither front differential has lockers (open diff) which will allow one wheel to spin if it looses all traction

Some USMC trucks have mechanical lockers in the rears

ARB makes an air locker for the 2.5 ton but not the 5 ton

That is my understanding. Did I miss anything?

Also, would it be possible to put a mechanical locker in the front of a 5 ton if you used locking hubs? I know there are currently no locking hubs available on the market. (or they are 2000 dollars a piece so the rumor seems to be)

Thanks for helping me understand these trucks better!

Jason Humble

Hammer

The sprag and air activated are referring to the transfer case rather then the front axle itself.
Both will have the same type of front axle. Just a different transfer case that gets the power to the front axle.
You have the lockers setup correct though.

humble1

Thanks Hammer. Knowing that it actually refers to the transfer case makes all the difference in the world. Makes so much more sense mechanically.

Jason Humble

area52

kinda hard to find lockout hubs for 5 ton Rockwells. Even if you did find them and put them in, if you had a sprague t-case it would "sense" no front wheel speed and cause the t-case to send power to the front drive shaft

You could cut the air supply to the t-case and solve that problem though.

humble1

Yeah the lock out hubs for 5 Ton rockwells are nearly non-existent. There is a rumor that a guy in KY has the tooling to do them but that he charges 2000 dollars apiece. Also I've read where the guy that owns Big Foot may be a source or have a source since apparently some of the early trucks used them. Hardly worth it in my opinion, because of the size of the truck (it's not meant to be an offroader like a Jeep CJ) and the lack of available locker to put in the front to begin with. Just my opinion. Although, like a lot of things, it would be cool....I think...

Jason Humble

91W350

I'll bet a five ton with that big Cummins engine and a winch hanging over the front axle would get some serious torque steering from a locker. I often wondered about a locked up five ton, that would be a lot of pull. 6x6 trucks are hard on tires anyway, I am betting a set of lockers could really chew them off in a hurry. Westech answered your front locker question though, if it works in the rear, it will work in the front. Glen

dmetalmiki

Interesting all that...eastern block stuff comes "tough"! as standard.. MY KRAZ255b locks everything, and is virtually unstoppable! doesn't have any problem with tires or steering...just the way they are...self inflation also on my kraz and zill..up down low high..never faulted yet..parked for ages no leaks...anyone want to buy the kraz should go to a good home I'm winding down..yep..the day eventually comes..ho hum..

davesgmc

Hardly worth it in my opinion, because of the size of the truck (it's not meant to be an offroader like a Jeep CJ)
Jason Humble

My elmo is about as big as it gets and it can go anywhere your jeep can go, at least i will make a damed good show it it trying to anyhow. That big ol elmo went places at the off road park that i was even surprised it made it through. it went were ever i pointed the steering wheel thats for sure.

jwaller

my 818 has detroit lockers in both rear axles and it does not torque steer. It has winch, gun ring, and 1600 tires.

it will leave black marks on the pavement in a turn though. You don't want to see what it will to do a nice freshly cut lawn.

davesgmc

i would like to put one locker in the rear of elmo, front axle (on rear). then pull one shaft out for on road driving, put the shaft back on for off roading and have that one axle locked up. that might help traction,,,,,but then again, never had a traction problem. maybe i will just leave it alone
:beer: