• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

confused about part numbers

JungleBiker

Okay, so I'm needing some parts for our M813A1, and because everything has to be shipped from the US to where I am on the other side of the planet, I want to make sure that I order the correct parts. To that end, my supplier advised me to use the National Stock Number. No problem!

However, TM 9-2320-260-34P doesn't seem to have Master Part Numbers or National Stock Numbers in it. There are lots of part numbers in the manual, but they don't seem to be MPN's or NSN's.

So my questions are:

1. what does "SMR code" mean?

2. what is CAGEC?

3. is there a way to "translate" the part numbers in my TM into NSN's or MPN's?

Thanks!

papercu

If you check TM 9-2320-260-34P-1 Section I Introduction you will see the info on "SMR code" and "CAGEC".
You'll need to see TM 9-2320-260-34P-2 Section IV for the start of the Cross-Reference Indexes. Wayne

Last edited:

USMC6062

Go to www.Wbparts.com and type in the part number out of the TM, it will give you the NSN along with all the alternate part numbers from different manufacturers, and usually the specs on the part. I can't remember what the SMR code was for, but I do remember that the cage code is the manufacturers identity number. Do a search on the internet for cage code cross reference, and you should be able to find a site where you can type in the cage code and it will tell you who the manufacturer is.

USMC6062

After a little searching to refresh my memory, I remember now what the SMR code was for. It tells you what level of maintenance is allowed to repair/replace each part. I worked in a hydraulics shop on F18's, and the SMR code would tell us if we could fix something or have to send it to the depot level for repair.

JungleBiker

Thanks, guys. I guess it's partially a case of "when all else fails, read the manual". I just took a quick look and found the cross reference in section IV, just like you said, but the way the numbers are arranged doesn't make sense to me--do you just have to plow through dozens of pages of part numbers to find the one you are looking for? I see that the part numbers are arranged sequentially based on a 3 digit section of the part number, but I don't understand what that 3 digit number is. I'll keep studying the manual, perhaps it will become more clear to me in the daytime.

Also thanks for the link to Wbparts.

ida34

look at the fig number for the page that has your part. Write down the fig number and the number of the part in the fig. In other words Figure 3 part number 4. Then go to the cross reference. There is a section that has the NSN listed by the figure number and the part number on the page. When I say part number I mean the number that the part is labeled in the figure.

papercu

.pdf manual is searchable, just type in whatever number you have and keep clicking till you reach the right cross-reference set of numbers. There are usually at least three different types of cross-reference in the parts manuals.
1. National Stock Number Index
2. Part Number Index
3. Figure and Item Number Index
Each one is in order, once you get use to it it's easy to search in case all you have is the paper manual. Wayne

JungleBiker

Ah! Now I get it. All I have is the .pdf manuals (huge thanks to this site for those!)--and this is a case where a paper manual would have been faster for me. In the .pdf -34P I was starting to get dizzy scrolling down through 200 pages of stuff that I wasn't looking for before I found the section that I wanted. Anyway, I have it now, it starts on page 826 and is exactly what I was looking for, all arranged by FIG. numbers. Perfect.

Thanks again all, for your help and for your patience!