• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Confused & Frustrated with Govplanet Customer Care

Well Fellow Steel Soldiers,

I need to know if you all have run in to this in the past or recently, as in today. I called Govplanet with the intention to pay for the auctions I won from Tuesday's HMMWV sale along with asking questions regarding payment with credit card. Since one of my auctions, I won at 5,000.00, I was jumping for joy that i could put it on my Credit Card to get points. I was about to pay for that HMMWV up until Andrew Miles, couldn't give me a clear answer on being able to use my credit card since the tax and fees make it over 5,000.00. I asked to speak to someone above him in which after waiting for about 10 minutes, Andrew returns stating his supervisor is busy at the moment in which he has passed along my contact information in which he will contact me.

Well another concern is that the deadline for payment is on Nov 18, where if the supervisor gets back to me tomorrow or after.... I could be charged a fee on top of my balance. I asked Andrew, " Wait... what if your supervisor doesn't get back to me tomorrow? Will i be charged late fees...?" I honestly cannot recall the whole response from Andrew was because then I was frustrated.

If any of you have any recent insight on this, please let me know.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is confusing about this statement on GP's terms and conditions:

Payment can be made by wire transfer (recommended) or credit card (when full payment amount is $5,000 or less)

You will have to pay by wire transfer tomorrow. Make it happen.

Jwade

Supporting Vendor
Well Fellow Steel Soldiers,

I need to know if you all have run in to this in the past or recently, as in today. I called Govplanet with the intention to pay for the auctions I won from Tuesday's HMMWV sale along with asking questions regarding payment with credit card. Since one of my auctions, I won at 5,000.00, I was jumping for joy that i could put it on my Credit Card to get points. I was about to pay for that HMMWV up until Andrew Miles, couldn't give me a clear answer on being able to use my credit card since the tax and fees make it over 5,000.00. I asked to speak to someone above him in which after waiting for about 10 minutes, Andrew returns stating his supervisor is busy at the moment in which he has passed along my contact information in which he will contact me.

Well another concern is that the deadline for payment is on Nov 18, where if the supervisor gets back to me tomorrow or after.... I could be charged a fee on top of my balance. I asked Andrew, " Wait... what if your supervisor doesn't get back to me tomorrow? Will i be charged late fees...?" I honestly cannot recall the whole response from Andrew was because then I was frustrated.

If any of you have any recent insight on this, please let me know.
Andrew is our newest customer service agent and has only been answering the phones for a week. So he probably hadn't had this one come up yet. Regardless, someone around him should have been able to easily quote are terms and conditions. The newer agents typically are a little shy about having to take a stand on certain things. Unfortunately, MOST (not insinuating you) get angry when they don't hear what they want to hear whether its policy or not. That tends to make the new people gun shy on holding their ground until they get some confidence.

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

Back in April when I bought my LMTV, I called CS @ GovPlanet to ask about payment methods. The rep told me I could pay $5000.00 of the total on my CC and wire the remainder in. I had him run the amount on the card & wired the rest in that afternoon. Payment confirmation showed up the next day on the GovPlanet website & I had the truck shipped to me here in Florida. Has something changed since then?

Jwade

Supporting Vendor
Back in April when I bought my LMTV, I called CS @ GovPlanet to ask about payment methods. The rep told me I could pay $5000.00 of the total on my CC and wire the remainder in. I had him run the amount on the card & wired the rest in that afternoon. Payment confirmation showed up the next day on the GovPlanet website & I had the truck shipped to me here in Florida. Has something changed since then?
Yes, they had to change the policy. If it is over 5k it has to be a wire, you can't split it up. I was not privy to the reasoning.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never bought anything with a credit card from government planet, but what many people don't know about buying something with a credit card is that whoever is accepting your payment has to pay between one and 1/2 to 4% to the credit card company . This really adds up , and it is what a business has to pay for the convenience of you paying with the card versus dealing with checks or money orders or some other slower form of payment.

But it's hundreds of dollars if not thousands pretty quick. And when everybody's trying to keep their margins low fighting for online business wire transfers help maintain good profit margin. Obviously government planet aren't necessarily fighting for your online day to day business, but for purchases in the thousands of dollars, they lose hundreds of dollars to the credit card companies even at $5000 caps

Credit card companies offer us points to use their cards, hoping we will use their card instead of someone else's, use it more often, then have a large balance, pay it off later and owe them more interest. It is a very good business, just look at how many card offers we all get in the mail, and we are all preapproved!!! The companies that offer more points simply make the businesses pay a larger percentage.

This is why you see some businesses, particularly small businesses like mom and pop shops or independently owned gas stations, offering a cash discount . They still make more money by giving you one or 2% off of a purchase, because they don't have to pay three or 4% to the credit card company. I try to pay cash at the small businesses for this reason.

I can't take credit for discovering this on my own. I have a friend in the motorcycle business, who has been a small business owner for 40 years. He likes the faster payments, but regrets losing so much money to Visa and MasterCard these days when prices have to be kept very low due to online competition

Bulldogger

FloridaAKM

I had the cash, but when checking with Western Union for wiring the full amount, the fee for wiring the money was over several hundred $$$. After getting the bright idea of checking with my credit union, the fee for wiring the remainder of the money was $25.00 total. That was a no brainer to say the least. I do not use credit cards to live off of & carry a balance, they are paid off each cycle to save the interest they would collect on a balance carried over.

Cash is not always smart to carry these days. A credit card can help greatly in those times of needing fast payment for some unseen oops. If I was running a business, the fees credit cards charge the vendor would sour me very quickly on accepting them. So is business these days.

Action

I don't see GP having to pay fees as the reason for their decision. We can still use a CC for purchases up to $5,000. The previous policy was that we could pay $5,000 with a CC and the rest via wire transfer, if the price was higher. Either way, each type of transaction did not go over $5,000 on a CC.

FLLAW1: This was my second purchase from Govplanet. All HMMWVs I got a 1986 M1038, 1987 M998 and 1998 M998 from Barstow/Yermo. I just got notified today around 1200pm that my EUC cleared (EUC submitted 22 Nov 2016, Accepted 08 December 2016) Dang Near over 2 weeks. I was anticipating it being beginning of January.... well Merry Christmas to me.

owensexport

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had nothing but TOP NOTCH customer service from Gov Planet. They were overwhelmed the beginning of 2016 but they have caught up tremendously in the past few months. Anytime I have an issue, it is dealt with in minutes, not days.
Very highly appreciated!!!

infidel got me

I must also say that G.P. has stepped it up a notch. Seems that once things got sorted out the purchase of a vehicle has become smooth sailing. I never had any problems with the reps. calling me back(even in the beginning) but I never was an a-hole to them. So all I can say is keep up the good work, and many thanks to J.WADE!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks