• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Conical Washers from the Pitman Arm

Seth_O

I spent my weekend doing new axle boots on my deuce. In total, six hours on the d-side boot alone. Three of those were spent trying to remove two of the conical washers from where the steering arm attaches to the knuckle. Ultimately I was able to get them out, but they were destroyed in the process.

Anyone know where I can find replacements? I cant find anything listed online. I must have had bad search terms, because no love at McMaster Carr either.

Any help is appreciated.

sandcobra164

I can get some from a local MV scrap yard and I'd be more than happy to help. I'm curious to hear how the original ones got destroyed during removal. I've done this same job quite a few times while helping friends and I've yet to have this happen to me but I'm always open to hearing what could possibly get me in trouble. I usually remove the top plates on the steer axle with a sand filled mallet once I have the 4 nuts and washers removed. I've occasionally had to use a chisel and hammer strike between the top plate and the knuckle to get them to break free but it's never damaged the conical washers.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.............. trying to remove two of the conical washers from where the steering arm attaches to the knuckle.
Did you see this thread - before trying...?

Anyone know where I can find replacements? I cant find anything listed online. I must have had bad search terms, because no love at McMaster Carr either.
FWIW, they are also called "Drive Flange Wedge". Apparently Dorman makes, or has them.
If you wanted to order online, here is one possible source...

G.

Seth_O

Jakob - I'll take whatever you can spare. PM with how much you want for them and shipping, cheers bud.

Sandcobra - appreciate the offer, if I end up needing more than Jakob has I'll shoot you a note.

G - that was a good read, tks for posting up the link. I am no stranger to the cone washers and actually had worked through the same list of steps with no love. I think the steering arm was installed by the same depot that put my lug nuts on north of 300lbs. They took a big rig shop to remove.

Ultimately I think my mistake was completely removing the 2 that came out without issue. That left all the pressure on the remaining to so they wouldn't pop free. I had to get a chisel in and tap them sideways, then they screwed off just like a nut. They're pretty trashed.

Seth_O

Rusty - thanks for the nod that direction. Between what you posted up and the helpful additional details from Gringeltaube I was able to find them at my local Napa for $1.75 ea. A heck of a lot better than the $45/ea that they were listed for online! To be fair, I did also find them elsewhere online for $.70, and ordered enough to replace them all, but its a 1-4wk shipping time as they are not normally in stock. By the time I pay shipping on them, its the same price as the Napa parts.

For those interested these are Napa part number TWD AX1007.

Attributes:Height : 9/16"
Stud Size : 5/8"
Top Width : 1"
Brand Name : HDPlus

Thanks to the folks who chimed in and helped out on this one - I need the truck for a community service project this week, so hopefully now it will be back up and running in time!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wait a minute: why Ø 5/8"? All the studs I have seen so far are 9/16" in diameter.
I just checked the NAPA-site: you probably need the TWD AX1014.

What left me wondering is their specified height of only 3/8". From what I recall ours are taller than that.
Let me see if I can find any loose, to measure.

Update: I just measured a stock OEM part:
  • ID = 9/16"
  • OD, top = 1" (!)
  • OD, bottom = 9/16"+
  • Height = 11/16" (!)

So, at this point I can say that the ones found online - even if the ID was correct - they are NOT applicable to our steering arm!
Maybe the ones we need are out there somewhere, but this is certainly not a standard size.

Sorry Seth if I was a little too fast earlier-on, when I indicated that link to the ones from Dorman...:oops:
First, see if you could reverse your order/purchase somehow. Then try to get a pair of stock replacements and better apply all tricks and patience next time, before destroying them!

G.

Last edited:

Seth_O

The TWD AX1014 shows 3/8" height as well? Also mine (albeit deformed) measured ~.97" across the top - I figured they were 1" when new?

Part Number: TWD AX1014
Product Line: TW DISTRIBUTION

Attributes:Height : 3/8"
Stud Size : 9/16"
Top Width : 7/8"

If you have a loose one to measure that would be very helpful, mine are deformed and now I am not trusting my measurements off them......

Seth_O

Thanks G! I'll canx the orders I have out there - fortunately none of them are for very much $, and I'll keep up the hunt. I really, really appreciate your checking the measurements on the existing ones.

In the meantime, I am on the hunt for any good used ones.

Jakob - sent you a PM bud ;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks