• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Connected my MEP-803A the proper way as my home standby generator... Install pics...

steelydan

So I power the house with 242volts as that is what FPL provides to my box. I use a 4 core 6 ga wire (L1, L3, Neutral and Ground). The spec for the wire was 600v/45amps. Hope this helps. These Generators can actual produce more than 10KW for brief periods I have seen it push 14KW on occasion when the AC cuts in.
Here is the link on Amazon if this helps:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LI4I5JU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This just ran for 7 days straight as we lost power due to Hurricane Irma. It had no issues with the load on this cable. Powered the whole house must have had 10 neighbors asking about the MEP-803a and how to get one.
good luck.

m
That's awesome, glad it worked out for you.
I get a ton of questions when folks see mine on the trailer in the yard. They just keep walking around and looking at it. They're astonished when they see the sticker saying the military paid about $26K for it. LOL.

I just searched the manual and it says:
120/240 = 52A
120/208 = 34A
120 = 104A
That's why I was thinking it would need a really beefy cable if running at or over max.

I found this site about wire gauge and amps useful: http://www.cerrowire.com/ampacity-charts.
If only I were an electrician!

Last edited:

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi.
So if it's a 10kW generator, then my math is telling me that at max (10kW) usage, I'd need a ~85A wire (10,000W/120V = 83.33A) If so, for a distance of about 20 feet from my generator to the connector on the house, what wire should I use? My Google-fu is finding that it should be 3GA wire. Is that what you guys are using, in anticipation of max loads?
TIA!
I use a 35' 4 gauge cable from my MEP-803A to run my toy hauler (70 amps with 3 ac units running). For perm installations I would use 2 gauge thhn. MEP-803's deliver ~13k with no issue. Why take a resistance hit on wire size.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's awesome, glad it worked out for you.
I get a ton of questions when folks see mine on the trailer in the yard. They just keep walking around and looking at it. They're astonished when they see the sticker saying the military paid about $26K for it. LOL.

I just searched the manual and it says:
120/240 = 52A
120/208 = 34A
120 = 104A
That's why I was thinking it would need a really beefy cable if running at or over max.

I found this site about wire gauge and amps useful: http://www.cerrowire.com/ampacity-charts.
If only I were an electrician!
Howdy,
It really depends on your location, and whether you are solidly mounting the unit. For the top tier portable power cable, a 6ga 4C type W cord works.

You can go to this thread and watch some loading on the MEP-802A and MEP-803A. Acquired a Military surplus load bank

csmitty

So I power the house with 242volts as that is what FPL provides to my box. I use a 4 core 6 ga wire (L1, L3, Neutral and Ground). The spec for the wire was 600v/45amps. Hope this helps. These Generators can actual produce more than 10KW for brief periods I have seen it push 14KW on occasion when the AC cuts in.
Here is the link on Amazon if this helps:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LI4I5JU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This just ran for 7 days straight as we lost power due to Hurricane Irma. It had no issues with the load on this cable. Powered the whole house must have had 10 neighbors asking about the MEP-803a and how to get one.
good luck.

m
Yea Irma will probably cause prices to go up in the coming auctions for local sets. We shall see though. I kinda want an 803 in place of my 802. But only for a great price.

I also had a few neighbors asking. Some said they were out driving and it was dark house after dark house and then ours was all lit up like nothing happened. Lots of questions, but unlikely any action.

lonesouth

I ran 3x4awg for L1, L3, N. Used 6awg for gnd. All copper. The 6awg saved a little money, I think I was about 25'. You can go smaller, but you just spent north of 1k, minimum, on the generator, why cheap out on the install?

Guyfang

Staff member
That I could never understand. Spend a bunch of money on something, then be a cheapo hooking it up. Do it once right, you will never regret it.

Glockfan

Job is transferring me to Utah. I will likely update the thread with the addition of an automatic transfer switch at my new house. I have an autostart board to install, etc. that will freshen this thread up a bit once I get my family settled out there.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just want you guys to understand that current capacity in SOW/SOOW cable is less than individual wires in air. So #6 is rated for 45 amps not 50. My 803 handles 70 amp surges and #6 will heat and break down over time at 70 amps. I use #4 THHN for permanent installations and #2 SOOW for powering my fifth wheel where the run is 50 feet from the 803 / 802 generators in the shed. It is expensive cable but so are my generators and fifth wheel! During the winter I can run on an 802 unit since I use 30 amps of electric heat while on the generator. So spend a little more on a better wire and protect your investment in your house / generator. Long runs cause voltage drops! As my rule of thumb, I always go up at least 1 conductor size with SOW. Resistance is futile!
soow_amps.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
Job is transferring me to Utah. I will likely update the thread with the addition of an automatic transfer switch at my new house. I have an autostart board to install, etc. that will freshen this thread up a bit once I get my family settled out there.
Where in Utah? I lived a while there and it's one of the few places I would consider moving back to if I ever go home from Germany.

mtfleming

Where is the internal jumper that connects the equipment ground to the neutral? I have my mep002 hooked to my house and may have the neutral and equipment ground bonded.

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hard Head, I thought for a single phase ciircuit condition B of the below table applies since there are only 2 current carring conductors and the neutral did not need counted based on some sources I have read. I have attached a picture of one, is my understanding correct?

Just want you guys to understand that current capacity in SOW/SOOW cable is less than individual wires in air. So #6 is rated for 45 amps not 50. My 803 handles 70 amp surges and #6 will heat and break down over time at 70 amps. I use #4 THHN for permanent installations and #2 SOOW for powering my fifth wheel where the run is 50 feet from the 803 / 802 generators in the shed. It is expensive cable but so are my generators and fifth wheel! During the winter I can run on an 802 unit since I use 30 amps of electric heat while on the generator. So spend a little more on a better wire and protect your investment in your house / generator. Long runs cause voltage drops! As my rule of thumb, I always go up at least 1 conductor size with SOW. Resistance is futile!
View attachment 702949

Attachments

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hard Head, I thought for a single phase ciircuit condition B of the below table applies since there are only 2 current carring conductors and the neutral did not need counted based on some sources I have read. I have attached a picture of one, is my understanding correct?
I take it as the number of conductors in the jacket carrying current. If you are running 240 single phase and have any 120 circuits then you are using 3 conductors.

NATCAD

Hi Hard head - how have you plumbed your exhaust out of shed for your units?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks