• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Connected my MEP-803A the proper way as my home standby generator... Install pics...

Another Ahab

Free gas !!!!! that's why the conversion. It will run on natural gas, propane or gasoline. I have a gas well on my property.
Gas heat, clothes dryer, stove, hot water heater and back-up generator. Can't get too greedy - If you cut into the company profits they may shut you down...
I had a buddy with some weekend property in West (BG) Virginia, and he had the same sweet deal.

He even had a gas-powered refrigerator.

robson1015

Glockfan - Did you ever consider putting hardware cloth over the vented openings of the generator case. I think it would keep the mice out. Those little suckers can ruin anything once they get inside and start chewing wiring. I've had my phone lines chewed through three times at the outside phone box in winter. The hardware cloth is heavy screening with 1/2" square openings if you're not familiar with it.

Glockfan

Glockfan - Did you ever consider putting hardware cloth over the vented openings of the generator case. I think it would keep the mice out. Those little suckers can ruin anything once they get inside and start chewing wiring. I've had my phone lines chewed through three times at the outside phone box in winter. The hardware cloth is heavy screening with 1/2" square openings if you're not familiar with it.
That's a good idea! My biggest nemesis is the dang wasps. If I could screen those jokers out, I'd be happy. A buddy of mine has an 802 on his farm and he is battling the mice. I'll pass the information on to him. Thanks!

Keith_J

Mud dabbler wasps are a problem for my generators. When exercising the generator, the nests get pulverized in the cooling fan, spraying dirt everywhere. I now do weekly run ups with monthly load tests during wasp season. The wasps are so bad they plug the vent stacks on the house plumbing system. So every month I have to get on the roof and flush the vents with water.

i keep mice traps everywhere around the generator. No issues yet.

Another Ahab

That's a good idea! My biggest nemesis is the dang wasps. If I could screen those jokers out, I'd be happy. A buddy of mine has an 802 on his farm and he is battling the mice. I'll pass the information on to him. Thanks!
Two layers of hardware cloth sandwiching one layer of stainless screen. Hardware cloth gives the screen some structure and keeps out the bigger critters, screen keeps out the smaller ones.
Mud dabbler wasps are a problem for my generators. When exercising the generator, the nests get pulverized in the cooling fan, spraying dirt everywhere. I now do weekly run ups with monthly load tests during wasp season. The wasps are so bad they plug the vent stacks on the house plumbing system. So every month I have to get on the roof and flush the vents with water.
That screen "sandwich" idea is a great one tim292; and I think the standard rubber/ plastic screen cloth is a small enough grid that it'd keep the Mud Daubers/ Paper wasps/ Honeybees (and the others) out also.

But the trade-off is those grids can fill up fast with spider silk, wind-borne "stuff, leaves and such, so you have to vacuum them or something during the warm seasons. Also that rubber/plastic stuff might not be UV resistant; I don't know.

jimbo913

As for mice, the bottom has openings too.

I saw in the news that a bad El Nino is expected to hit Cali similar to 2007/2008 and it will dump moisture across the mid to lower US. Might get a chance to run your generators this winter fellas.

Glockfan

As for mice, the bottom has openings too.

I saw in the news that a bad El Nino is expected to hit Cali similar to 2007/2008 and it will dump moisture across the mid to lower US. Might get a chance to run your generators this winter fellas.
looking forward to it! I started mine up for a 20 minute "exercise" a few days ago and forgot that it was running. It ended up running for about three hours! I didn't realize it was running until I put our son to bed and could hear a slight rumble in his room. It is literally located outside his window. Otherwise, it's a smooth running very quiet genset. I love my 803.

cuad4u

I've exhausted my resources and I can't find anything saying that I'm not allowed to put a diesel tank outside my home. So I guess I'm just going to proceed with it. There are plenty of regulations for commercial entities storing mass quantities of fuel, but none that I found readily available regulating residential storage of diesel fuel in Georgia.

If I had intended on burying the tank then there are regulations stating that the tank cannot be less than 110 gallons and it needs to be made out of fiberglass reinforced plastic and so forth but nothing governing above ground storage tanks for noncommercial use.

As a former state licensed building inspector, I am convinced that if you look long enough you can find some code that prohibits just about anything you want to do.

Another Ahab

As a former state licensed building inspector, I am convinced that if you look long enough you can find some code that prohibits just about anything you want to do.
The good news of codes like that (open to interpretation by the inspector), is that it also means you should be able to challenge the interpretation and go for an exception or something similar.

Of course you have to be willing to make that challenge, and then follow through, and that's not for the weak of heart. THAT'S the problem.

Glockfan

My inspector was good to me. I think he appreciated that I went through the "hassle" of permitting the work and not giving him any grief when I found out about the additional work that would have to be done because I pulled an electrical permit. Interconnected smoke alarms in all the bedrooms and the additional ground rod were no big deal. I guess those guys are used to constantly getting lip from folks and I made it my policy to do "whatever it takes" in order to keep the inspector happy.

tim292stro

People gotta remember that the inspectors are doing the inspection against a code that was written to prevent injuries, loss of life, and hazards to the surrounding buildings and the public at large. When an inspector comes around to a house where the owner has pulled permits, makes appointments for inspections, and is willing to work with the inspector when issues arise - it's probably a lot easier of a job than turning up at a house where a large temporary dumpster gives away that work is being done, and then they have to get into the argument with the homeowner that they're doing it wrong, and that doing it right from where they got caught is going to cost them thousands (or tens of thousands) of dollars to get in compliance. In that case the homeowner sees the inspector as the bad guy, even if they are just doing their job.

Again Glockfan, awesome job, documentation, and follow-up. [thumbzup]

jimbo913

I am not sure about the south but people from Virginia north often have 250 gal tanks of heating oil "aka off road diesel" stored beside their homes all the time. I can't see it being an issue at all.

rustystud

People gotta remember that the inspectors are doing the inspection against a code that was written to prevent injuries, loss of life, and hazards to the surrounding buildings and the public at large. When an inspector comes around to a house where the owner has pulled permits, makes appointments for inspections, and is willing to work with the inspector when issues arise - it's probably a lot easier of a job than turning up at a house where a large temporary dumpster gives away that work is being done, and then they have to get into the argument with the homeowner that they're doing it wrong, and that doing it right from where they got caught is going to cost them thousands (or tens of thousands) of dollars to get in compliance. In that case the homeowner sees the inspector as the bad guy, even if they are just doing their job.

Again Glockfan, awesome job, documentation, and follow-up. [thumbzup]
Tim that's assuming the inspectors are actually looking out for you. I have come across inspectors that are basically on the take and if you don't grease their palms you will get hit with every little stupid nit-picking regulation they can find. I had to actually remove a whole stair case because the top step was 1/2" too tall (step height to ceiling) to meet regulations.

Glockfan

Glockfan, I recall a post on grounding and information on some videos. What was the final outcome on the your setup? I'm getting ready to wire up my MEP.
i would forego the ground rod at the generator to avoid a potential loop back. Be sure to remove the copper bar between neutral and ground if your unit is not going to remain portable. Other than that, you should be good to go. I'd use a proper transfer switch and not monkey with back feeding. As tempting as back feeding is, if a lineman gets hurt during a power outage you will not be able to avoid finger pointing even if it truly wasn't your fault. What you can do is say with confidence that your generator is wired up according to code and know that you are not going to be found at fault if an accident occurs because a proper safety switch will separate you from grid power completely.

tim292stro

Of course make sure that neutral stays bonded to ground somewhere in your system when the load is switched over to the generator. You shouldn't need to worry about multiple ground rods creating a loop, but you definitely need to worry about having ONLY one neutral to ground bond for your system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks