• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Connecting autostart controllers 802A / 803A and 831A

craigc

Hi everyone, I have a couple of DSE7310 autostart controllers that I want to connect to both my 831A and 803A. I have used these Deep Sea Electronics controllers on Honda generators but the MEP's are a different animal. The DSE controllers are very configurable and have remote monitoring and control. I'm going to start on this project very soon and would really appreciate any help from people that have gone down this road. I've attached the install guide and the operator's guide for anyone that's interested. Thanks Guyfang.

Thanks in advance
View attachment DSE7310-Installation-Instructions.pdf

Attachments

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think anyone here has gone down that road. There are a couple other auto starts that have popped up in posts but you will be doing some trail blazing.

Have you you sat down with the wiring diagram and identified how it needs to be connected? The connection table for S1 will give you a lot of what you need.

craigc

I have all the TM's and will be figuring out the wiring as best as I can, I'll likely need some help though. I have wired these controllers into Generac and Honda gensets. These autostart panels are great, I'll be able to see fuel level, engine temp, RPM and lots of other parameters. They are programmable with a laptop as well. Should be a nice setup when its done. With a communication module you can monitor and control the genset with a App on your phone or over the web.

Thanks for the info on S1, I'll be starting today

csheath

I toyed with the idea but decided it didn't make sense for me. Unless you have a genset that can operate the total load without doing some load management I don't see it as useful. My home is on a 200 amp panel and requires load management for my 803A. Now if I had a 40KW unit I would be all over the idea.

Guyfang

Staff member
I downloaded some of the info you posted. Haven't read the big document yet. Looks more than do able. As soon as I get some time, will read it.

craigc

They are great controllers, I have had them working in a wooden box on the ground in nasty winter blizzards. They were connected to chinese LP generators. I want the remote monitoring and control capabilities these controllers can provide. Thats why I'm pursuing this. I just picked up my MEP-831A yesterday and spent the day going over it and getting it running. I'll spend today looking for the controllers, my wife "put them away" so I'll scare them up today and get started on this project.

zanther

It's something I've been thinking of doing as well with my 803. I'd be game to collaborate, though I haven't done this before. I could possibly help with writing a Device Handler to tie it's status into SmartThings.

craigc

That would be great!! I have a wink but I also have 2 Linux servers running here with 100 MB speed. I'm not a software person and would really appreciate any help in that regard. I'll purchase the RS232-ethernet gateway and put the system online if you want to login and work on that. The controller is capable of modbus as well.

It's something I've been thinking of doing as well with my 803. I'd be game to collaborate, though I haven't done this before. I could possibly help with writing a Device Handler to tie it's status into SmartThings.

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hadn't really considered an auto-start controller before.... but after looking at a few youtoob videos on the DSE controllers - my inner geek is really interested!! Looks like a well designed controller - please keep this thread updated with your progress.

Last edited:

zanther

I'm not much ahead of you but I happen to work on computers for a living so I've got programmer friends to help us out.

Side note: I just moved from Wink to SmartThings because Wink's API isn't great and because it seems that SmartThings has a broader developer user base. Truth be told, I like the SmartThings app and usability much more than Wink's. I just hooked up a ZigBee enabled dog door last night and it was much easier than navigating the Wink API. Only problem is I've now got two Wink Relays sitting around not being used.

craigc

I considered the smarthings a year ago but will look it again and likely switch myself. Like I've mentioned I've installed these controller a few times so I think we will have no troubles. The manufacturer makes a range of controllers so you have a controller that has just auto start or Mains monitoring / transfer switch auto start. depends what you need. I'm just using the DSE7310 because I have 2 of them leftover from a job I did a couple of years ago. I just have to find them :)

zanther

if we can get it working on either platform, we should be able to duplicate it on the other. Speaking about both 803/831 and wink/smartthings.

craigc

It's a good day, I found the 2 controllers !! I'll power them both up today and make sure the firmware is at its latest so we can all get going on this little adventure.

IMG_20170207_1141033.jpgIMG_20170207_1141565.jpg

Watch the video about the remote alarms, control and monitoring these controllers can do. I want this function so if I'm not home I know what's going on with my genset so I don't have to rely on my wife or kids to "tell me whats happening"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpPXQELbeCQ

Last edited:

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very cool, I am going to sale my panelview 550 that I was thinking of using for some of same applications. These would be way easier to configure and have a much better suite of options. I signed up at DSE website, so I can get more of the information that they would not let me get to without doing so. Will be watching for progress, will assist if needed.

craigc

Ok Folks, here is how I'm going to program and configure the controller for the MEP-831A. I'll do it first then the 802A/803A.

engine data and controls draft

Input/output programmed type

-Oil pressure 831A has binary oil/low oil Digital, low oil alarm and shutdown if configured
-High coolant temp alarm 831A has thermal switch Digital, over temp alarm and shutdown if configured
-fuel level will work on the 831A Analog scaled to resistance range of the sender, possibly have low fuel alarm and shutdown if there is enough I/O to use the hardware if not do it in software.
-preheat Digital, configure preheat time. Would like to use outside temp to calculate preheat time
-Run/start Digital the starter will quit cranking at upto 40Hz on the input to the contactor (have to see what works best) there are other ways to cancel engine crank as well.
-Aux fuel pump Digital, enable Aux fuel if needed
-E-stop Digital
-contractor Digital, configure for engine warm up time / cool down time
-Battery charging circuit VDC Analog, low battery charge alarms are possible
-Battery volts Analog
-RPM not really needed because it a Inverter type

Thats all I can think of at the moment, I'll edit this post with the Electrical VAC monitoring and alarm features I'll use in a bit.
If I missed something or you'd like to add some feature let me know and we will see if we can implement it.

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Few quick things:

The generator head isn't 60hz. Don't know if that is going to matter to you. Just don't expect 60hz from it. The actual frequency is much higher (300hz range).

Engine speed is variable. It is load based from the governor module. There is no external input for speed control.

There is a separate switch on the fuel sender for low fuel alarm and engine shutoff.

craigc

Your right, I posted incorrectly, what I meant was 60Hz at the output lugs and thats why I listed under the RPM that its not needed because its a Inverter type gen-set and the RPM does change with load. Come to think of it isn't a Inverter type gen head a DC generator then converted to a nice Sinusoidal waveform buy the inverter?
Thanks for the fuel sender info, I was not aware of the low fuel switch and alarm, I was just going to do that function in the controller software. I'll see if there is enough I/O to use the gensets low fuel alarm. I'll have to measure all the voltages amd resistances on all the I/O so we can program the controller correctly.
I just got my 831A yesterday so I am not familiar with them yet.
Thanks for keeping me honest and the great info.

Few quick things:

The generator head isn't 60hz. Don't know if that is going to matter to you. Just don't expect 60hz from it. The actual frequency is much higher (300hz range).

Engine speed is variable. It is load based from the governor module. There is no external input for speed control.

There is a separate switch on the fuel sender for low fuel alarm and engine shutoff.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The alternator is an AC output. Its a 3-phase high frequency PMA (permanent magnet alternator). No excitation circuit needed.

The schematic in the manual should be a big help to keep you going.

Have fun.

craigc

Thanks again, here's some screen shots of the controller software. Would you mind giving your opinion on what input would work best for the engine crank stop. Thinking this thru a bit more I guess I'd have to use the freq from the input to the contactor.
gen-2.jpggen-1.jpg

Last edited: