• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Connectors, cannon plugs

Guyfang

Staff member
I have a question, that maybe you electron pushers can help me with. Is there anyplace a list, of cannon plugs, by NSN or P/N that will give me the NSN or P/N of the OTHER side of the cannon plug?

Thanks for any help you all can give!

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try Googling the part number, it will take you to a connector supplier web sight, most supplier site then have a ITT Cannon and Amphenol charts for pin configuration, cross reference and mating assemblies.
I have had success in the past. Also, Google may lead to an Ebay supplier site and both male/female can be procured.

papakb

Not that I'm aware of but the folks at Burklin Electronik should be able to help you find them. The military connector world is not for the novice When you go looking for them you have to specify the connector size, the contact size, the contact configuration, the backshell type and shape you want, the color, whether you want it environmentally sealed. Confusing as all heck even to those of us who have played with them for years. Taking the numbers from the connector you have is a place to start.

jbayer

I've never seen such a list.
There are multiple manufacturers, and each makes multiple different PN connectors. Such a list would be a novel.
But, generally which ever connector you have, if you have the PN for one side, it should not be to hard to find it's mate.

Amphenol connector numbering is as such: conn. PN MS3106F22-23P is a plug. Mating side would be MS3106F22-23S, socket.

We build New electronic surveillance A/C, with hundreds of connectors(probably over a thousand), with very few that are the same. That helps to make it idiot proof.
Different jobs need different connectors. Low voltage wires, high voltage wires, signal wires, etc.

Hope this helps, sorry if it don't.

Wire Fox

That's really tough for me to say with consistency. Amphenol publishes very good public data about their connectors. If you can positively identify one of the connectors, you can find the catalog that lists that connector and you should be able to find the other gender of connector in that same catalog. I've had a hard time finding the same kind of data for ITT Cannon (let alone the tools to work on their connectors).

The "easy button" solution would be to call a company that specializes in connectors and tell them what you have and what it is that you're looking for. As experts in connectors, they'll find the matching one in a hurry and then quote you a price. A great guy that I have to recommend is William Perry Co out of KY. All he does is connectors, he offers great prices and great advice. His whole business is over the phone.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WireFox, there are a lot of William Perry Co in KY. Could you please post the Tel no?
Thanks!

Wire Fox

WireFox, there are a lot of William Perry Co in KY. Could you please post the Tel no?
Thanks!
Odd...but absolutely! He's in Louisville, KY. First time I did business with him, I had to leave a voicemail and he got back to me later. Real pleasant guy to work with, so worth the wait [if you have to wait!] 502 893-8724

Guyfang

Staff member
Not that I'm aware of but the folks at Burklin Electronik should be able to help you find them. The military connector world is not for the novice When you go looking for them you have to specify the connector size, the contact size, the contact configuration, the backshell type and shape you want, the color, whether you want it environmentally sealed. Confusing as all heck even to those of us who have played with them for years. Taking the numbers from the connector you have is a place to start.
That info I have PN MS3450W18-11P

AAJDTHREAD CLASS2A
AAJFTHREAD DIRECTIONRIGHT-HAND
AAQLIII BODY STYLESTRAIGHT SHAPE, EXTERNAL COUPLING W/BACKSHELL
ABHPOVERALL LENGTH2.125 INCHES MAXIMUM
ABKWOVERALL HEIGHT1.375 INCHES NOMINAL
ABMKOVERALL WIDTH1.375 INCHES NOMINAL
AEBVUNTHREADED MOUNTING HOLE DIAMETER0.120 INCHES NOMINAL
AEBWCENTER TO CENTER DISTANCE BETWEEN MOUNTING FACILITIES PARALLEL TO HEIGHT1.062 INCHES NOMINAL
AEHADISTANCE BETWEEN CENTERLINES OF MOUNTING FACILITIES PARALLEL TO BODY WIDTH1.062 INCHES NOMINAL
AFQKDISTANCE FROM MOUNTING SHOULDER TO FRONT FACE0.750 INCHES NOMINAL
AFQRTHREADED DEVICE TYPEBACK SHELL
AFQWMATING END QUANTITY1
AFQXCONTACT POSITION ARRANGEMENT STYLE18-11 SINGLE MATING END
AFQZCONTACT REMOVABILITYREMOVABLE SINGLE MATING END SINGLE CONTACT GROUPING
AFRCCONTACT MAXIMUM CURRENT RATING IN AMPS41.0 SINGLE MATING END SINGLE CONTACT GROUPING
AFRDCONTACT MAXIMUM AC VOLTAGE RATING IN VOLTS500.0 SINGLE MATING END SINGLE CONTACT GROUPING
AFRECONTACT MAXIMUM DC VOLTAGE RATING IN VOLTS700.0 SINGLE MATING END SINGLE CONTACT GROUPING
AFRNPOLARIZATION METHODKEY, MULTIPLE KEY GROOVE
AFRPINSERT POSITION IN DEG0.0
AFRTSHELL TYPESOLID
AKMGNOMINAL THREAD LENGTH0.724 INCHES
CQJXNOMINAL THREAD SIZE1.125 INCHES
CQTMTERMINAL LOCATIONBACK SINGLE MATING END SINGLE CONTACT GROUPING
CSCFTERMINAL TYPECRIMP SINGLE MATING END SINGLE CONTACT GROUPING
CSPTSHELL MATERIALALUMINUM ALLOY
CSWMSHELL SURFACE TREATMENTCADMIUM
CXCGINCLUDED CONTACT QUANTITY5 SINGLE MATING END SINGLE CONTACT GROUPING
CXCLINCLUDED CONTACT TYPEROUND PIN SINGLE MATING END SINGLE CONTACT GROUPING
THSDTHREAD SERIES DESIGNATORUNEF

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After reading all your great posts, I believe I can whip this thing. This was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much easier when I was on active/working as a contractor. I had two phone numbers for the HMIF for CECOM, Master Tech's on my phone list!! Oh well, this has been fun anyway. The chase is almost as fun as the catch.

Last edited:

pjwest03

That info I have PN MS3450W18-11P
AS an example that's a MIL-5015-DTL Matrix series.

MS -> Military
3450 -> a wall mount shell
W -> aluminum cadmium olive drab
18 -> shell size 18
18-11 -> pin layout (5 pins)
P -> the contacts are male pins

A possible mate would be a 3456 plug style shell. The strain relief I'll leave as an exercise for the reader.

MS3456W18-11S

This is the relevant catalog section.

http://www.amphenol-aerospace.com/pdf/catalogs/5015_matrix_2016.pdf

Guyfang

Staff member
AS an example that's a MIL-5015-DTL Matrix series.

MS -> Military
3450 -> a wall mount shell
W -> aluminum cadmium olive drab
18 -> shell size 18
18-11 -> pin layout (5 pins)
P -> the contacts are male pins

A possible mate would be a 3456 plug style shell. The strain relief I'll leave as an exercise for the reader.

MS3456W18-11S

This is the relevant catalog section.

http://www.amphenol-aerospace.com/pdf/catalogs/5015_matrix_2016.pdf
You Devil!!

I was going to bed, as it was 23:11, and then saw your post. read the document 3 times!! Could not find anything about strain relief. Know what it is, but saw nothing in the document. I suppose I could call the smart guys there and ask them what would be best.

Have I overlooked something? I would have assumed, and that gets me in trouble every time, but assumed the strain relief would come with the plug.

Wait, would you be talking about a straight, or angled head strain relief? Will get back to this in the morning. My beauty sleep calls.

Augi

The relevant strain relief options are either listed at the bottom of the catalog or in a separate "Accessories" catalog depending on which series you are working with.

Some series you can just add -SR to the part number to receive a complete assembly.

Augi

Jericho

Strain relief is common in aviation canon plugs , but not so much on general purpose army stuff.easiest way to find them, if they are AF aviation stuff is to get the PN from the connector , there are many different types Quick disconnect QTR twist, Rachet toothed locks,with a hold down ring, Full threaded screw down with no retention except safety wire. , bulk head fittings, two piece, single unit, three piece. some shells are universal, just the rubber grommet inside and pin out changes . If your wanting to get aviation standard stuff for example , go to a 2J - T56-7 -10 T.0. Its the shop T0 for the basic engine, has tons of cannon plugs , advantage is its old stuff and there are tons around, only a dozen or so different ones, and the C-130 E model has been around forever . If your running a three wire, any male and female plug, Matched set will work, all you have to do is the pin out to serve your needs . A lot of Army pins are sauter on, Most AF stuff is crimp on, and you need an aviation full ring crimper , For 1 two or three wire stuff I use M 35A2 cannon plugs , male female and just pin it like I need it get them from Eriks and a few other common places , Main F -111 engine conectors had in the realm of forty pins or more each

pjwest03

The mystery of connector backshells

You Devil!!

I was going to bed, as it was 23:11, and then saw your post. read the document 3 times!! Could not find anything about strain relief. Know what it is, but saw nothing in the document. I suppose I could call the smart guys there and ask them what would be best.

Have I overlooked something? I would have assumed, and that gets me in trouble every time, but assumed the strain relief would come with the plug.

Wait, would you be talking about a straight, or angled head strain relief? Will get back to this in the morning. My beauty sleep calls.
Sorry about delaying your beauty rest. Selecting the back shells is whole exercise in and of itself. Some of the industrial grade connectors do come with back shells. The military stuff just has too many options and needs its own decoder rings and catalog sections.

You need this section: http://www.amphenol-aerospace.com/pdf/catalogs/Backshells_16.pdf

Table 1A, on page 485, tells you that the connector is in connector group J for MiL-5015, MS345X,

Down on page 548, a basic, straight, cable clamp style would be: M85049/52-1-18W

As you can see, there are just too many ******* options. aua

Jericho

strain relieve in aviation is usually a captive bar type with simple fillester head screws supplying the holding force. Aircraft have very specific wire bundle support distances, 18 inches between clamps is average But not Army type clamps . Sitting zero g on the ground bundles are not a problem. , Avi clamps are all MS style rubber or plastic and fit SNUGLY Imagine pulling 12 Gs then snapping 180 and pulling 12 Gs again or stretching the cable bundle . SR 71 grows more than 16 inches in length at altitude and speed, B 52 wing tip to root can flex 16 foot PLUS , strain relief is ALWAYS also treated to CHAFE guard .

pjwest03

Strain relief is common in aviation canon plugs , but not so much on general purpose army stuff.easiest way to find them, if they are AF aviation stuff is to get the PN from the connector , there are many different types Quick disconnect QTR twist, Rachet toothed locks,with a hold down ring, Full threaded screw down with no retention except safety wire. , bulk head fittings, two piece, single unit, three piece. some shells are universal, just the rubber grommet inside and pin out changes . If your wanting to get aviation standard stuff for example , go to a 2J - T56-7 -10 T.0. Its the shop T0 for the basic engine, has tons of cannon plugs , advantage is its old stuff and there are tons around, only a dozen or so different ones, and the C-130 E model has been around forever . If your running a three wire, any male and female plug, Matched set will work, all you have to do is the pin out to serve your needs . A lot of Army pins are sauter on, Most AF stuff is crimp on, and you need an aviation full ring crimper , For 1 two or three wire stuff I use M 35A2 cannon plugs , male female and just pin it like I need it get them from Eriks and a few other common places , Main F -111 engine conectors had in the realm of forty pins or more each
My day job is avionics and flight control systems. We get into things with 100+ pins and mixed layouts with big and little pins. A flight control box can have 12-15 connectors and more that 1000 pins between them. The connectors that are ordered with pre=pinned inserts will have solder pins. The inserts without pins will be for the crimp style pins. For MV folks on here I always suggest the solder pinned inserts (S/P part numbers). You need too many tools for the crimp pins.

Guyfang

Staff member
Good Morning!

I feel much better after my beauty sleep!

Strain relief will be important for the application we need here. Its for a power input cable for an Air Con. I have seen what happens when the strain relief doesn't work. In the early 70's, we had some gen sets that it was a real problem. Pushed/pulled pins in the canon plugs that looked and felt tight. No contact. Or just enough contact to give me an ohms/volts reading, but would not pass amps. I can drive you crazy.

PJ,

From time begin, Power Generation was only Solder Pinned Inserts. Rarely was there a problem. If you can solder, (and few people appreciate how hard it is to solder a very small pin) repair of the connections is easy. Having the proper tools and supplies is essential. If you don't have the proper tools and supplies, disaster is certain. Only in the last few years have the power generation plugs gone to crimp style. I don't like them in the field. Like you said, too many tools. I once helped some guys do some repairs on Bradley and M-1 tank "Black Boxes". The C-Plug repair kit took up about half an acre of the space in the repair facility. It would have been better if all the plugs and receptacles were from the same manufacturer. Can't have that! Lowest bidder gets all!

Well, thanks a bunch to all you guys here in this thread! I have downloaded the documents and will store them in my Electrical Do-Dads file. I have learned a bunch, and this was a good thread for those who follow along after.

Now off to my "Day Job". Picking apples and plums for my 2017 schnapps production. After you hit 60, you have no business fooling around in a tree.

Thanks again!!

Guy Wiltfang

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks