• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

consensus on trailer wiring / tail lights

FLINT

I did some searches and got the biggest spectrum of information imaginable.

I want to add a 4 pin trailer plug to my m1028, and I mostly just want to know if the tail lights are 12v or 24v.

When i did a search I found many people saying that you had to either wire to magnetic LED lights to handle the 24 volts or to wire in some kind of resister to drop it to 12v,

and then on the other end of the spectrum, someone said that it was as simple as getting a trailer wire kit that plugs directly into the existing wiring harness and thats it.

I really like the sound of that last option. can anyone verify?

Thanks!

armytruck63

All CUCV lights are 12 volts. I made an adapter cable out of a military trailer cable using a multimeter to identify wires. I ended the cable with the standard flat-four civilian plug. I am not set up for electric trailer brakes at the moment.

I am going to use this setup later today when I take a load of yard waste to the dump.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the CUCVs, all the lights, including the taillights are 12v. This also includes the MV trailer plug.

You can make an adapter for the MV plug (OD Iron sells them ready made) or you can install the plug you found.

I have not looked at the M1028 to say if the adapter you found is correct. Order one for a 1983 K30 pickup. GM changed the electrical connectors around 1984 and the CUCVs where built to 1983 specs and not upgraded.

rnd-motorsports

The trailer light plug should work. the plug will be on the under side driver side rear corner you can look at plug before you buy. they are standard. I just remove the military plug and wire in a 7 prong trailer plug keeps everything neet and clean with no wires hanging to catch on anything and you can get an adapter for the four prong or get the plug that has the four prong built in I do not plan on useing the military plug. and the 7 prong is same size as the military plug

dstang97

The adapter from the Hoppy / E trailer will not work it only gets you 3 of the 4 light functions. Your best bet is to get a weather pack and make up a new harness. Do a search this has been covered tons of times