• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Considering a m1009 as a daily driver, advice?

RickyBobby

Now I was trying to get a 6.2 powered vehicle as a daily driver and I saw a m1009 for sale. it's an 86 with 44k. New thm400, new rear from military, new locking hubs, new harmonic balancer, aftermarket trans cooler and converted to new electric fuel pump. Does have a slight lift cause its sitting on 35s. Some rust and needs tailgate but everything else is fine. All for 1500. Now that being aside, how would these bad boys handle as daily drivers? I'm mechanically inclined and soon will actually be going to school as a GM mechanic next year and hopefully she will take me so I will be able to work on her if need be. School is an hour away so as a daily driver how do they handle? Obviously not as comfortable lacking a radio and AC but nothing I really need. Any common problem I should look out for? I hear the 24v system can be problematic at times so how do I convert it to 12v since that seems to be an easier and common option? Any help is appreciated, I always liked the k5s, and having a military one makes it so much better. Thanks

RickyBobby

I do, I am currently driving a ford ranger 97 with a 4.0 it will last me awhile but I prefer not to strain her to much cause she has a knock at the moment. Still runs strong and fine, well maintained and will be great as a back up option.

Sergeant1983

I have been driving mine as a daily driver for almost a year. No problems. A few times the starter did not want to engage the first month and I ordered another starter. But by the time I received the starter, the problem went away. May have been because it was sitting for some time. Only the starter is 24 volt. Everything else is 12,volt.

My modifications
whole inside Rhino lined that reduced the road noise
put single step on either side
Air-conditioning, as TN is rather warm in the summer
window tint and rain guards
folding cup holders
halogen headlight kit
heavier duty starter relay
new ignition and door locks so keys are unique

The 35" tires mentioned should give you a little better fuel economy. I get between 18-20 MPG, but my drive is mostly at 45 MPH. So it's not much throttle. If your foot is heavy, MPG will go down quick.

CycleJay

Hi all,

With these vehicles they sometimes have issues, like any other older or newer vehicle.
However, once you take care of those, and get to a point where any other maintenance is just normal and routine,
they make great daily drivers.
I drive my M1009 every day, and I am very happy with it...

However, it is good to have a backup vehicle of some form, for those days when you are having an issue with your M1009.

Good luck...

CJ

RickyBobby

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. I've always wanted a k5, and now a nice opportunity has arrived to get a military one and I like it. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a terrible idle first lol

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 24v system is not problematic. It is the owners not understanding it. Once you grasp the concept the system is easy to understand and work on.

The M1009 is one of the best daily drivers in the MV family (besides the CUCV-II or the LSSV).

$1500 for the truck is a steal. They are bringing $3500+ at auction and that is without inspections or test drives.

Plan on spending about $1000 at first to bring everything up to operational condition. By the time you change all the fluids, belts, hoses, tires, etc. it will be close to that figure.

Last edited:

engineman2

I was driving my M1008 daily for over two years until I came here to school, now I just drive occasionally. My driving was mixed city/highway where I normally hauled firewood and scrap metal. I also did a fair amount of towing, all while getting about 14 MPG combined. I will say one thing about my truck; it took about six months of daily driving and fixing things I saw that were obviously worn/old to get the truck to be where I wanted it to be in terms of reliability and performance. The greatest failure I've had thus far that caught me off guard was the death of the glow plug relay, which I jumped with a screwdriver to heat the glow plugs and start the truck. If you're mechanically inclined and like driving a neat vehicle, I would certainly recommend this truck. Also with the gear ratio in the M1009 you should push 20 MPG highway, which is fantastic for a 30 year old truck! :mrgreen:

RickyBobby

I was driving my M1008 daily for over two years until I came here to school, now I just drive occasionally. My driving was mixed city/highway where I normally hauled firewood and scrap metal. I also did a fair amount of towing, all while getting about 14 MPG combined. I will say one thing about my truck; it took about six months of daily driving and fixing things I saw that were obviously worn/old to get the truck to be where I wanted it to be in terms of reliability and performance. The greatest failure I've had thus far that caught me off guard was the death of the glow plug relay, which I jumped with a screwdriver to heat the glow plugs and start the truck. If you're mechanically inclined and like driving a neat vehicle, I would certainly recommend this truck. Also with the gear ratio in the M1009 you should push 20 MPG highway, which is fantastic for a 30 year old truck! :mrgreen:
thanks, luckily I have til next sept to work out any kinks and my money, although I don't make a whole lot, only goes towards fuel and smaller bills, so I will gladly be able to put some money worth it into this truck

RickyBobby

The 24v system is not problematic. It is the owners not understanding it. Once you grasp the concept the system is easy to understand and work on.

The M1009 is one of the best daily drivers in the MV family (besides the CUCV-II or the LSSV).

$1500 for the truck is a steal. They are bringing $3500+ at auction and that is without inspections or test drives.

Plan on spending about $1000 at first to bring everything up to operational condition. By the time you change all the fluids, belts, hoses, tires, etc. it will be close to that figure.
And thanks, at least now I know what to expect!

RickyBobby

Now out of curiosity, how reliable is the 6.2 Detroit? I hear a lot of bad things about them in the web and what not and I'd figure I'd ask some people who actually have had them. Are they really that bad of a motor or do the previous owners I've seen just not know how to properly maintain there vehicles? I should t have too much of a problem seeing as I'm not towing with her, just thought I'd ask to make sure

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 6.2 is a fine engine for what it was meant to do. It's a low powered engine comparible to a gas 305. if driven sensibly it's a fuel miser. I have nothing but 6.2 powered stuff. All the internet quarterbacks are quick to dismiss the 6.2 and that keeps the prices lower. Also, I would concur with Warthog, the 24V stuff has many advantages to the 12V conversions (which isn't a conversion at all, just eliminating the 24V function). There are lots of M1009s in use as daily drivers.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A layman's point of view. YMMV.

The 6.2L Detroit does have a bad reputation. You have to understand why the motor was designed and built to understand it.

The late seventies and early eighties was a bad time in the car business. EPA was involved, manufacturing standards where low. The need for fuel effency was high.

GM wanted and needed a diesel engine that would fit in the space of the 305 and would have roughly the same HP. Detroit Diesel came up with the 6.2L. It was not and is not a powerhouse. It sips the diesel fuel. It does what it was designed to do.

Now the general public figured a diesel engine should be a workhorse. They rode them hard, sometimes very hard. Many engines broke. Most did not.

The 6.2L can be massaged to output huge HP and torque. However the cost is high and there are better options now. (Cummins 6bt).

There are 6.2L engines with hundreds of thousands on miles on them. And there are dead ones with very low miles.

If you want an around town daily driver fuel sipper, the M1009 with the 6.2L is a great choice. Just keep it serviced and the rpms below 2800 rpm and you should be golden.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1009 has ~106,000 miles on it right now. The military swapped out the engine about 11,000 miles ago, so the engine is still pretty new. I don’t have a lift or big tires, just the 31x10.5R15s that are supposed to be there. Military seats are comfortable enough if you can get used to being partially reclined. They’re terribly noisy though, so wear some good ear-buds to block the roar of the motor and the squeaks, squeals, rattles, and vibration noises.

I drive it daily about 60 miles to and from work, back roads and freeway (occasional 70MPH).

Still the 24V factory set-up and zero problems with that.
Still running the 24V glow plug set-up and zero problems with that.
Still running the 24V starter and no problems with that.

Plan to spend a few $$ on window seals and belts, change the fluids (I’ve only changed the engine oil and trans filter/oil), get used to driving in the right lane, and whatever you do, don’t, for the love of God, try to pass anyone if your speed is above 40MPH.

M1008driver

If this was a dedicated daily driver I would do the Roscommon conversion. Regardless of understanding the 24 volt system, my truck is more reliable than ever. I can buy parts from the auto parts store locally, belts, starter, alternator, hoses and everything else. We get cold here in Montana and I have not had any of the problems I was warned about. My M1008 sits for a few weeks at a time, the batteries stay charged (I do have the solargizer) and the trucks starts easily. You will have to limit your speed to 55-60 mph, so if that bothers you get a newer vehicle. Peace to all the don't do it drivers. EDIT- they will say no one can help you and that is only partly true. Any decent diesel machanic can if you get into more than you can handle.

http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/news_notes/nn10.pdf

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PM sent on the GP relay. This thread is not the place to discuss GP issues

RickyBobby

Now I also heard that the 6.2 devour transmissions, would I have to worry about that or would I be fine seeing as mine is different from the civilian model transmission?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It takes much more than a 6.2 to destroy a 400 Turbo. Honestly, I thought I've heard all the senseless rumors but the tranny one is new to me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks