• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Considering a m1009 as a daily driver, advice?

JSF01

I recently attended the Mil truck rally in NH and my buddy who is a Marine drove the m1008 behind m motorhome and we did 55mph the whole way. The M1008 got 25mpg. I actually took the filler neck of the tank to look in with a flashlight because I was in disbelief. If someone told me that id call BS . My budy just laughed and said"dude , you drive like an *******"
I have never been able to replicate. Best I got was 20 drivin like a grandma.
I am going to say it is probably because he was driving behind your motorhome the whole way. The motor home will reduce the drag for any vehicles that are following, so they don't waste as much energy trying to push through the air resistance, which in turn means it take less fuel to propel the vehicle. If you followed a semi at 55 for an entire trip you would also probably get an equivalent mpg rate

acesneights1

I am going to say it is probably because he was driving behind your motorhome the whole way. The motor home will reduce the drag for any vehicles that are following, so they don't waste as much energy trying to push through the air resistance, which in turn means it take less fuel to propel the vehicle. If you followed a semi at 55 for an entire trip you would also probably get an equivalent mpg rate
Yeah that is definitely a possibility. I would say though an M1009 with 31's and the 3.08s upgraded to an NV4500 should be able to hit 23-25 without issue. Atleast that is what I am hoping. I have a spare NV4500 setup just waiting for an M1009.
My VW TDI gets 40+ but I hate driving such a tiny POS. I want an M1009 as a daily driver.

RickyBobby

Yeah that is definitely a possibility. I would say though an M1009 with 31's and the 3.08s upgraded to an NV4500 should be able to hit 23-25 without issue. Atleast that is what I am hoping. I have a spare NV4500 setup just waiting for an M1009.
My VW TDI gets 40+ but I hate driving such a tiny POS. I want an M1009 as a daily driver.
Did you already do said upgrade or are you preparing to do it? Regardless I'm interested in the results

donalloy1

Daily driver here for three years. Rarely lets me down. Stay on top of PM and correct problems as they come up as with any vehicle. No need to worry about fancy electronic diagnostic tools. You will not need them. Ranger and Explorer are constantly being talked to by Ford. I can talk to my M1009. I say they make great Daily Drivers. Just my .02...

Iceman3005

I have 2 m1008's, both are daily drivers. They do break down from time to time but overall they are pretty reliable. one of them has the 700r4 swap done, it gets about 18-22 mpg. other still has the turbo 400 and gets about 15-16 mpg.

As for the 6.2........well lets me start first with I have been die hard cummins for 20 years now, and most everyone I talk to bad mouth's the 6.2, having said that I started doing my own research about 6 months ago. After countless hours reading books studying gm tech manual's and and reading information on the internet, I have come to the understanding that these engine's where in fact designed to be work horses. the early years of the 5.7 diesel are the starting point of the gm failures with diesel's and by the time the 6.2 came out the reputation had been set. Then in 1995 with the introduction of the electronic injection pump and all its short commings, it set the stage for the reputation of all the 6.2's and 6.5's. After reading several articles on a turbo 6.2 diesel, these engines where beating the early dodge cummins in Horsepower and torque, beating it in the 1/4 mile and the hill climb with a 8000 lb. trailer, they where only 2 seconds behind the power stroke in the hill climb but 6 seconds faster than the dodge(early year of dodge).

From what I have read these engines are very reliable and can handle up to 20 psi of boost (with arp head studs), and 400 HP. the only downfall is bad harmonic balancers, this should be the first thing you check and repair if the rubber ring looks dry rotted or is squishing out. This is the only reason the cranks break is due to bad harmonic balancers NOT pulling heavy loads or increasing power. Also the cooling passages on the back of the block cause poor cooling when MORE power is added or HEAVY loads are towed, but there are higher GPM water pumps to solve this problem.

So my point is your getting a very reliable engine, that should last many hundred's of thousands of miles!!!!!!

As for the rest of the truck, its basically a K5 chevy blazer, I have owned several blazers that never let me down, like stated before it is still always good to have a back up vehicle!

RickyBobby

I have 2 m1008's, both are daily drivers. They do break down from time to time but overall they are pretty reliable. one of them has the 700r4 swap done, it gets about 18-22 mpg. other still has the turbo 400 and gets about 15-16 mpg.

As for the 6.2........well lets me start first with I have been die hard cummins for 20 years now, and most everyone I talk to bad mouth's the 6.2, having said that I started doing my own research about 6 months ago. After countless hours reading books studying gm tech manual's and and reading information on the internet, I have come to the understanding that these engine's where in fact designed to be work horses. the early years of the 5.7 diesel are the starting point of the gm failures with diesel's and by the time the 6.2 came out the reputation had been set. Then in 1995 with the introduction of the electronic injection pump and all its short commings, it set the stage for the reputation of all the 6.2's and 6.5's. After reading several articles on a turbo 6.2 diesel, these engines where beating the early dodge cummins in Horsepower and torque, beating it in the 1/4 mile and the hill climb with a 8000 lb. trailer, they where only 2 seconds behind the power stroke in the hill climb but 6 seconds faster than the dodge(early year of dodge).

From what I have read these engines are very reliable and can handle up to 20 psi of boost (with arp head studs), and 400 HP. the only downfall is bad harmonic balancers, this should be the first thing you check and repair if the rubber ring looks dry rotted or is squishing out. This is the only reason the cranks break is due to bad harmonic balancers NOT pulling heavy loads or increasing power. Also the cooling passages on the back of the block cause poor cooling when MORE power is added or HEAVY loads are towed, but there are higher GPM water pumps to solve this problem.

So my point is your getting a very reliable engine, that should last many hundred's of thousands of miles!!!!!!

As for the rest of the truck, its basically a K5 chevy blazer, I have owned several blazers that never let me down, like stated before it is still always good to have a back up vehicle!
thank for this post, really did help me have a better look on the 6.2 from a big picture standpoint. I appreciate The info!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks