• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Considering a M927 or M928 to live in...

71DeuceAK

I'm really thinking the S280 is the way to go then; it'll also fit in the 923 if I don't get the 927.

Need ideas for S280 interior remodels, anyone else who made one living quarters care to chime in?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Unless you are under 5'8" you arent going to have a comfortable time. Just spend the 1500$ and tow the camper around. tapatalk_1485809846626.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You still have that trailer, Wes? Hearing how bad the exansi boxes leak while expanded, how weather tight are they when there closed?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You still have that trailer, Wes? Hearing how bad the exansi boxes leak while expanded, how weather tight are they when there closed?
They are fine as long as you replace the seals that are dry rotted like everything else military that has been sitting. I added a rubber flap seal to the top that skirts the edge of the top of the expando seal when its retracted the water runs off the unit rather than down the side or by the seal.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This sounds like something I would have attempted in my college/post college days. I hope this works out for you!

Some thoughts. (If any of this was covered, my apologies, I did read through this, but may have missed it)

A generator will get very old, very fast. You will seek out electricity fast. Maybe a T-pole (temporary meter box pole) which leads me to the next question.

Where are you going to park this? Do you have land? If you did, I would think you would build a cabin to park a green machine in front of. Maybe I missed the parking part.

Think of solar (in the summer, of course) and an inverter to run most stuff. Get a good quality pure sine inverter so it doesn't fry your cell phone and laptop batteries. Get a big bank of batteries and fill the roof with solar panels. Back this up with generator or electricity in winter.

Your lack of a toilet is going to make any potential girlfriend sleepover impossible. Plus, like the generator, it will get really old really fast. Look at the Natures Head composting toilet. (I have been planning an RV build on a 923 since I bought it, so, you are welcome to any of my research). The toilet is $1k, but the reviews (lots and lots of them) are dang near 5 star. It's hard to imagine spending $1k on a toilet, until you get frostbite on your weenie in -40 weather.

Your aversion to propane only leads you to other choices that are more dangerous than propane. For safety sake, rethink the propane idea. There is a reason natural gas is the standard in houses and RVs. Anything that burns can cause problems. Just be safe.

No water? Or did I miss that part? You can run Pex on the inside of the walls for plumbing (visible from inside of the house). Once again, no water will get old really fast. Where will you shower? Friends house? That won't last long.

Your idea of living in the truck is cool. But make yourself comfortable or it will get really old, really fast. Water, toilet, propane. Three things that make life easier. I feel like you are justifying skipping these items because other houses in the area don't have indoor plumbing. That doesn't mean they are easy to live in. I doubt they are nice houses, not something you would intentionally build for yourself.

Good luck with your project.

Nomadic

They are fine as long as you replace the seals that are dry rotted like everything else military that has been sitting. I added a rubber flap seal to the top that skirts the edge of the top of the expando seal when its retracted the water runs off the unit rather than down the side or by the seal.

I've been curious about the leakage too based on comments from another thread here. It sounds like your setup doesn't have an issue in the rain. I'm happy to hear the success story. Where do you find new seals? I'd like to check them out and price them.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I made mine. I went down to a rubber materials place here and they were able to get me a 100ft roll of it

71DeuceAK

Buffalobwana, yeah, you bring up some excellent points:

If grid power is close or I could get a temporary service, you bet I'd plug right in. The generator would be strictly for if I had to go somewhere that didn't have that option. Yes, the sound of a generator can definitely get old, but I've lived with generators running 24/7 before so I'm used to that sort of thing. I'd definitely add a house battery bank and inverter but also set it up so the truck alternator could charge the house bank when the truck is being driven somewhere.

I live off grid here at home between semesters anyway, and still use a modified sine wave inverter and haven't had any problems, though there are select things I just don't run on it. However, in definitely buying a pure sine wave unit when the time comes for the above project.
Avf yes, I'd definitely like to also go solar!

71DeuceAK

To add further, yes, I would definitely consider a composting toilet if I can find one that works really well and doesn't need a lot of maintenance on a daily, hourly kind of basis. As for the no girlfriend sleepover thing, well, I'm happy being single and any girlfriend would have to be willing to deal with such a relatively unusual living situation, otherwise she wouldn't even be my girlfriend in the first place.

A lot of places there are actually really neat, despite lacking indoor plumbing.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, good luck with the project. Reminds me of Trapper John MD (sorry, you are too young to remember that one). It was a Dr. who lived in his sailboat in the parking lot of his hospital. I barely remember it!

Im sure you know there will be pitfalls, but, hey, life is no fun without some risk and unknowns.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at "Natures Head Composting Toilet". Google it. The thing works. Not much maintenance required other than emptying the urine cartridge when it gets full. But that's easy. You probably walk outside to pee anyway. My roommate in college ALLWAYS did. Day or night. Walk past the bathroom, out the door to the lawn ... and pee.

The solids are mixed in. Supposedly no odor at all! They recommend a small fan, but a lot of people don't even use the fan

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, Many things jump out at me. In case this comes across as rude, please know that it's just me being frank with you.

First, call DMV and a few insurance companies. Ask each of them what makes a FMV (Former military vehicle) into an RV. Follow their recommendations because registration and insurance go down, a significant amount. A toilet is likely going to be one of them. So is a cooktop and a bed. Maybe some other things, like a shower, they are staples of life anyway.

Dont think that the $150/year "Parade and Events" type of insurance will cover you. It won't. When there is an incident and they see you live in it, no coverage. You are basically uninsured with this kind of coverage.

Stop dreaming and be realistic on what you should have to make life comfortable. Living in a box in the bed of a FMV will wear on you quickly when it's -40 and wind blowing and those tacos you had off the food truck for lunch kick in. Do you want to live like a semi homeless person taking a dump in a cardboard box, showering at the gym or a friends house all the time? You need a toilet. Stop pretending you can get by without one.

If you cant afford to do it right. Get a student loan. Low % and a lot of time to pay it back. It's for living accommodations right? Of course it is.

You are focusing on the big things (you want a hard to find long bed that will likely bring a premium) and ignoring the necessary things. Toilet, running water, cooktop, propane powered accessories.

You are so close to getting this right, but for some reason, you are leaving out the necessities. Do it right, or shelf the idea until you can.

Look at expo website. It will make your head spin with so many ideas for an RV build.

Good luck, we are all counting on you. (Sorry, had to throw an old movie line in here somewhere)

Nomadic

Well, Many things jump out at me. In case this comes across as rude, please know that it's just me being frank with you.

First, call DMV and a few insurance companies. Ask each of them what makes a FMV (Former military vehicle) into an RV. Follow their recommendations because registration and insurance go down, a significant amount. A toilet is likely going to be one of them. So is a cooktop and a bed. Maybe some other things, like a shower, they are staples of life anyway.

Dont think that the $150/year "Parade and Events" type of insurance will cover you. It won't. When there is an incident and they see you live in it, no coverage. You are basically uninsured with this kind of coverage.

Stop dreaming and be realistic on what you should have to make life comfortable. Living in a box in the bed of a FMV will wear on you quickly when it's -40 and wind blowing and those tacos you had off the food truck for lunch kick in. Do you want to live like a semi homeless person taking a dump in a cardboard box, showering at the gym or a friends house all the time? You need a toilet. Stop pretending you can get by without one.

If you cant afford to do it right. Get a student loan. Low % and a lot of time to pay it back. It's for living accommodations right? Of course it is.

You are focusing on the big things (you want a hard to find long bed that will likely bring a premium) and ignoring the necessary things. Toilet, running water, cooktop, propane powered accessories.

You are so close to getting this right, but for some reason, you are leaving out the necessities. Do it right, or shelf the idea until you can.

Look at expo website. It will make your head spin with so many ideas for an RV build.

Good luck, we are all counting on you. (Sorry, had to throw an old movie line in here somewhere)
Link to expo website?

71DeuceAK

No offense taken :)

I will definitely be checking with the DMV on what criteria they insist upon for making it into an R/V or tiny home conversion. Of course I can't be exactly certain without checking with my own state (Alaska) but from what I've heard of other people's conversions there's multiple different "life support" things, but they'll let you miss one. If I remember right, from talking to the Alaska DMV about this once before when I was bidding on a M927A2 at auction (I didn't win, mind you) they included permanently mounted electrical power, permanently mounted sleeping arrangements, permanently mounted cooking arrangements, and some kind of a commode. A composting unit would definitely be ideal in my situation since I also would prefer to not drill/cut any jokes in the beds floor if I can avoid it.

Or, if I was allowed to skip one, I'd do everything except the commode. Even potable water and a shower should be easy. Although you're right, a composting commode would definitely improve the quality of life.

Re: price, I have a line on an M927 for 5K, and if not I'm thinking I could do a somewhat miniaturized version in a M923, using an S280.

Lets st hear other thoughts, I don't mind reality checks, it helps me make sure I have all my bases covered :)

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
https://expeditionportal.com/ - Some good reading on articles about the hobby/lifestyle

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/ - The talk forum. Beware. There are so many builds, topics, vehicles, trailers etc that you could spend months gathering ideas. Information overload. You want to live in a truck, this is the first place you should go. Steel Soldiers may be the very close second place finisher. :)

There are some impressive builds that guys have done. Turning vans into campers and building expedition trailers. I got the idea here to buy an ambulance at auction and use the back as a camper. (It's a great idea!)

red

The funny thing about that forum is that they are not really big fans of military surplus trucks. They love the small trailers, but not really fans of the trucks.

Considering the size of these trucks and building them as a camper, there is plenty of room for a toilet/shower. And for long term living, they are a necessity.

Nomadic

https://expeditionportal.com/ - Some good reading on articles about the hobby/lifestyle

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/ - The talk forum. Beware. There are so many builds, topics, vehicles, trailers etc that you could spend months gathering ideas. Information overload. You want to live in a truck, this is the first place you should go. Steel Soldiers may be the very close second place finisher. :)

There are some impressive builds that guys have done. Turning vans into campers and building expedition trailers. I got the idea here to buy an ambulance at auction and use the back as a camper. (It's a great idea!)
The expedition portal site is a good fit for this topic.

I've seen the general consensus of military vehicles lacking positive input over there. The military vehicles are slow, but I'd be dammed if there is anything else out there value wise that can compete off-road for the money. I was there recently while researching the hmmwv and they were dissing on it pretty hard. They didn't like the engine. It might be too small for me, but the components and design of that thing is breathtaking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks