• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Considering a M927 or M928 to live in...

71DeuceAK

@Jbulach,

Neat idea! I ideally don't want my conversion making the truck any longer than it would be with the stock bed, but will do whatever works. Think you'd get something like a M146 trailer, or just a civilian R/V box?

And yeah, don't tempt me...I'm the kind of person who would do such crazy things like daily driving a M927 or M928. Just go read some of my other threads rofl You daily driving your M925A2? I'm also going to get a M925A2, when I have the cash after the M927/M928, and plan on daily driving that wherever it will fit.

Srodocker, wow, a M928 that's not an A2? That's gotta be kind of a rare one, no?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...Think you'd get something like a M146 trailer, or just a civilian R/V box?...

...You daily driving your M925A2?...
Idea is a quick attach, civi camper trailer up on the truck in place of the bed, if I can keep it under 13'-6". I think I can overhang the rear up to about 10' over the rear of the truck frame rails. I haven't researched camper heights yet, but I have been eyeballing some of the old Hi-Lo campers that I'm sure would work.

No, not daily driving, but wouldn't be afraid in the least bit. I use it mainly on and around the farm, every couple of days.

71DeuceAK

Srodocker, just curious, where in California? (I'm from CA originally)

Jbulach, would you be making the conversion somewhat permanent and ditching the bed entirely? I'm glad to know someone with similar ideas to mine, if you want to keep in touch feel free to PM me.

I'm thinking ISO long bed is where it's at, unless I did just build something of my own. How much do you guys think a plywood/2X4/insulation type job would cost me?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jbulach, would you be making the conversion somewhat permanent and ditching the bed entirely?
No, trying to keep my truck modular. I can pull two pins, unplug the lights and have my bed off in five minutes. Working on a fifth wheel module over the winter. Camper will be down road a bit...

srodocker

Truck came off of barstow. Inside the engine bay was some unit markings which I cant remember at the moment but it was a reserve f16 unit from what I remember.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Camping trailer up there is close to over height, depends on the trailer. I have an Army 927 with drop sides but the bed width is 7'4" inside to inside. I did find a vintage HiLo trailer that fits perfectly and lowers for traveling.

i put camper jacks on the trailer and can now load or unload in under an hour by myself. It can be lived in on or off the truck.

Last edited:

71DeuceAK

Interesting thoughts! I've heard 7'4 in a couple places now for the Army 927 beds. Mine would most likely be an Army one, but who knows. Suggestions on which to get? (Army, Marines, etc)?

Jbulach, if it's removable, maybe you WILL hear I'm daily driving the 927/928 to school! :driver:

Csm Davis

Okay here's what you guy's are going to find out there if you look hard enough. M927/ 928 dual tires non dropside will probably be Army.
M927/928 and M927A1/928A1 ISO dropside bed most likely Marine Corps some were picked up by the Army from the Marines when the Marines went to the 7 ton. This is going to be the truck you want if you want to go off road they came stock with lockers in the rear axles and a deep water fording kit, most are M927A1 WO/W but have everything but the winch and extensions already built in to the truck so not sure if they actually made a 928 ISO bed truck but have seen 927 ISO bed with winch and data tagged as M927A1 W/W, they are out there you just have look hard.
M927A2 /928A2 non dropside generally Army.
M927A2 /928A2 ISO bed if they exist should be Army and unknown configuration.
There is a few other variations but very rare, I personally think the ISO bed is the way to go, that way you can have your cargo truck and camper with only one vehicle. I have one and am looking at making it a tilt bed so it can self load.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

71DeuceAK

Fascinating! Not sure how I missed that post until now, but good to know! I prefer one with singles, and would definitely take it off road somewhat, probably without the box in it, just for the fun of it, though I would guess it probably wouldn't to as well as, say, an M923 or M925, or even an M931...shorter wheelbase.

And yeah, I want an ISO/dropside bed. That way the box can easily be slid out, basically the reason I'm NOT just getting an M934 is because I also want a long bed cargo truck...hauling long lumber, etc. Plus I just plain wanted a 927 or 928, they seem comparatively rare.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's what I thought. I'd build my own box, maybe just stick built 2X4 and plywood?
Just for reference, if weight is a big concern to you, you may want to simply calculate the weight of just your plywood and maybe the weight of whatever you are going to sheet the interior with. Making the structure strong enough to be removed from the bed will also be a bit of a challenge. Not trying to discourage you, just making sure you do your homework

Nomadic

What do you plan to do for heat? I have been toying with the idea of a wood pellet stove for heat. According to the Gov, using wood pellets vs propane is a lot cheaper. I just haven't found a stove small enough.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks