• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Considering an M923A2! What do you think?

Ange3201

Hi everyone,

First off I'm new to the group. Read on another site I was visiting that if I was serious about buying/owning a military vehicle to join this group. So here I am!

Couple things; First and foremost, I am wondering how reliable the [FONT=Bitstream Vera Serif, Times New Roman, serif]CUMMINS 6CTA 8.3 LITER IN-LINE 6 CYLINDER SUPER TURBO-CHARGED DIESEL ENGINE, DRIVING THROUGH AN AUTOMATIC ALLISON MT654 5 SPEED TRANSMISSION AND A 2 SPEED ROCKWELL TRANSFER CASE are. Or in other words, how many miles am I going to get out of this setup (considering I take care of everything as it should be taken care of). It currently has 22k miles on it. [/FONT]

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Serif, Times New Roman, serif]As far as I can tell the interior is in great condition, gauges all work etc. I would assume (considering I am not going to be using it for much hauling or towing, and minimal amounts of off road), that the body, frame, truck bed will last a lifetime.

I hear parts are fairly easy to come by when needed? Thanks to this site and others?

And last, probably everyones favorite part, I was hoping some of you would share some insight into the reason you bought one as it may relate to how and why I want to use and own one.

I live in Orange County, Ca. I have never seen one in these parts of town, unless I drive south toward Camp Pendleton to surf. I surf, camp, go to the river, go skiing/snowboarding/mountain biking etc. Very active and outdoor oriented. I have a white collar sales job, my office is 5 miles from my home (yes I would consider driving this around town frequently, if you see fit). A dog, a finance and baby girl on the way in December. I originally wanted an F2.50/Ram 2500/ or Duramax. Again not so much for towing or heavy hauling, but because I wanted a crew cab with a long bed. And I take immaculate care of my vehicles (especially the interior) and liked the idea of owning a truck in which the engine would last forever. Looking for this vehicle on CR i stumbed upon the M923A2. Thought what the heck, I could get one of these guys for all my outdoor adventures, some around town driving, and then maybe looking a turbo diesel mercedes or something to zip me around town when I really need to get from A to B. Im also looking into getting my Fiance a nice SUV for her and my daughter.

Long story short, I don't know why I want one. Everyone I have showed the picture to has told me I'm crazy. That may be a little true. It looks bad ass. Im assuming its as functional as it gets. Dont care about the aesthetics or "amenities." Im hoping the engine and parts will be reliable. Im not the most handy guy in the world, but Im smart and resourceful and don't mind learning and or getting greasy.

Thats about all I got. Look forward to what you guys have to say!

Thanks,

Mike.
[/FONT]

603hellmutt

I felt the same way when I bought my 923, purely a why not attitude. While I have dealt with a few stupid problems, it's been a great truck and wouldn't trade it for anything. Read the TM'S and make sure you lube everything up right. Then it's just about filling the diesel tank.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck, if in good shape, not abused, and properly maintained, will out last you. Your daughter will be driving in parades. These trucks are big, parts are heavy ( and a little expensive). You currently do not own tools big enough to maintain it. -and the state you will in will probably outlaw these big energy consumers before you wear it out. Other than that, buy it, (if you have a place to park it, neighbors hate these vehicles parked next to their rose bushes.) -And if California falls into the ocean, you can pack everything important to you and drive east.

AutomaSean

I was in the exact same state of mind as you before I bought. I've only owned my M923A2 for a few months and I love it. I've done some maintenance to it and it's all seemed pretty straight-forward so far. If you're looking for a reason to give to a spouse, mine was "we'll take it outdoors... camping... extend the cab to seat 5... etc." Everyone also thought I was crazy: some former drivers or motor pool guys say they would never want to see another one, but inevitably, when they sit in it, they all have a smile ear to ear. I've taken it camping several times now, and it gets a lot of attention. We just sleep in the back under the canvas. There's seemingly no limit to the amount of stuff you can take camping with you. However, there's a limit to the size of stuff you can put in it, since the bed height is nearly 5 feet. As for cost of ownership, you're in a special situation since you're in California. But all other things being equal, they are not terribly expensive to own. I average 8 mpg on the highway unloaded. Tire changes are a bear, but oil changes are easier than my Mazda. Barring any unusual circumstances, you will not regret owning one of these.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Main thing is does it have plates and titled in Ca and does your town let you park it at the house, if not see what storage lots fees are going to cost you.

71DeuceAK

I say go for it! Where there's a will, there's a way! I'd like to get one myself, and have the same thoughts: "Why not?" I plan on possibly getting one as my first vehicle (18 Y/O college student), daily driving it, etc. I also like the off-road capability.

Ange3201

Thanks for your replies fellas. Great advice and tips.

The truck is registered in California and has historical plates on it. Its 100% street legal. Not sure what the county/neighbors are going to say about it parked on the street or in my driveway. The truck is painted in a matte grey color and is in good condition. Seeing as though this makes it look a little cleaner and not so "military" may be a good thing...you know us Californians...lame I know. If Texas or Montana had an ocean id be there in a second.

Maintenance is definitely a concern. The reason I want a diesel is because they're dependable. Again I don't mind doing some stuff but life is complicated enough, especially with two girls in my home. Don't want to be towing this beauty to some heavy duty truck shop 50 miles from OC...

How easy is the "crew cab" conversion? Another question I know. I 4x4 jeep would be great but no room for ANYTHING! I would love to drive this thing around as a daily driver. Have no issue with that at all. I love to walk (I'm assuming I won't be parking anywhere near where I want to be). I could always throw a winch on it or a ramp and toss a vespa in the back? haha.

Not trying to be a buzz kill, just bringing up things you may not be aware of.

If you do not have a CDL, you will need to look into that. Unless it has changed in the last few years you need a CDL to drive even an M35. And depending on what kind of neighborhood/city you live in there will probably be an ordnance regarding large vehicles parking in neighborhoods. I dealt with that myself a few times. Would hate to see someone spend money on a vehicle and not be able to use it.

JDToumanian

I've seen pictures of the truck you're looking at.... The seller is neighbors with a co-worker of mine. He showed it to me just yesterday, "dude, check this out, I found another military truck for your collection!" (As if my goal is to "collect them all")

Pretty pricey, but if that's the sort of mods you're looking for maybe not a bad deal. Personally I'd rather save about $15,000 and buy one right from the government or "un-messed with" from a private party.

Jon

Ford Mechanic

I always wanted one, when I found out that I could own one I had to have one.
This is some of what we use mine for

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

71DeuceAK

I say go for it! Worst comes to worst, sell it later if it doesn't work out. Depending on your state, you might need a CDL, but it'll be worth it. Maintenance can be expensive but you'll have so much fun you won't care.
l plan on getting one too, as my first vehicle possibly, (18 year old college student here), for pretty much the same reasons as everyone else. I got hooked the same way: Purely functional but looks bad ass and is great off road. (Mine will probably be a daily driver but will also be romping in the mud for sure).

I wish you luck on your purchase!

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drove my friends 1990 M923A2 and I loved it. Loved the power steering, brakes, comfort and most of all quiet. My passenger and I didn't have to yell to hear each other. It was so nice I almost traded in my Deuce............almost. I lived up the beach from you in Huntington Beach for 7 years in an apartment, and kept my Deuce out back in the motor home spot. I didn't have any problems so to speak, but every place is a little different. I have a CDL but didn't need it to drive a Deuce, but check with the CHP to see if you need one for a 5 ton. Join the MVOOC (military vehicle owners of orange county) Jerry Berry is the organizer, parades, veterans fund raisers, friendships and more. Also for maintenance in O.C., see Tom at Santa Ana Diesel, specializes in Cummings and Detroit Diesel.[thumbzup]

Last edited:

TCD

Howdy,

Just to be clear...

In NV you will want to title any truck at no more than 26,000 lbs. because at 26,001 lbs. you will minimally need an air-brake endorsement and other complications may arise. At 26,000 lbs. you can also tow a trailer with a GVW of 10,000 lbs.; just enough for our Ural GU ;-) with no additional complications!

Tyler-2-small.jpg

My 923-a2 cost $560.00 to title and register for the first year and approximately $300.00 of that was the GVW I selected at 26,000 lbs (you are given a sliding scale range of GVW options when you title the truck at the NV DMV).

In my opinion as a new 923-a2 owner I love my truck but... It is the scale of everything that is my biggest challenge and expense.

As in a 20 ton jack is your friend! http://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-air-hydraulic-bottle-jack-69593.html

And changing fluids requires a 55 gallon receptacle and you will fill it very quickly!

YMMV...

Happy Tails,
tom n tyler

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You do know that Texas has a few miles of coastline right?

There is no "zipping" around in these. They turn like an oil tanker and parking requires some thought and space.
It's how other drivers react around you that you have to watch. Amazing how many drivers think you can stop these like their Honda. I use the Garmin dash cams just in case.

Drove my M925A2 almost 70 miles yesterday. Loved it!
I get around 10mpg and luckily have the space and tools for most issues.

Lube changes require buckets of fliud. Not cans.
Personally I like my MV's straight from military. If it's gonna be jacked with, I will do it myself.

Watch the Army training videos on YouTube. Lame but good info if you have never driven a truck this big.
Tailgate is heavy and high! Parts aren't cheap.
Getting them insured is a whole different ball game.

These trucks are amazing. Fun to drive. Wish they had a bulldozer blade attachment option.
A learning curve for sure. Read the TM's and all the old post you can. Great info and folks on this site. Most issues that you will have have already been discussed here.

mhb285

Just Moved to Paso Robles from Aliso Viejo..... Where you going to store it? I was paying about $250-325 a month for the 10 years I had my M35a2 stored. I see your in Newport even harder for storage..... OC sucks for MV storage & storage in general plane and simple... Unless you $$$.... Wait till you try for insurance....
Having the truck is one thing..... keeping it in OC is another.... sorry to be a killjoy.....
Mike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks