• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Considering an M923A2! What do you think?

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. Buy everything you want before you get married. Or have a kid.
2. If you can't afford to fix it, don't buy it.
3. Ignore #2 and buy one anyway.
4. Get it. It will break, but you will figure it out.
5. Cool factor ... off the charts. Everyone loves a 5-ton.

The engines and transmission are reliable. But, everything breaks. The engine should outlast your interest in the truck. I hate the overused and abused acronym but you really do only live once.

Get it.

randygk

I got the evil look when registering the 5 ton here in N Ca. You can register it Historic at $81.00 a year, but you can never haul anything and you are supposed to use for events only. You can register commercial, but make sure to look into all that is required (BIT program, smog, etc) in addition to the annual fees. I drive mine at least once a month and have never been stopped, but never hauled anything. Insurance for us is $800.00 per year commercial policy with a mileage radius limit of 50 miles.
As others said, you're going to need a big area and big tools to do service or repairs.
I had a business in Newport Beach in the '80s. Good luck.

spectra3279

do you mean commercial commercial or the screwed up commercial that kommifornia charges for all trucks? i would not be able to do the vintage thing here then. 50 mile radias, i plan on taking it to havascrew and towning with it. but it will not be a true commercial, all privately owned towing. mainly my boat at times.

randygk

My understanding is either register Historic or commercial (there is only one commercial). Read the rules on the CA DMV website for Historic and commercial registration. Commercial brings into play all smog rules, BIT, and much higher registration fees. Radius limits are due to the insurance company (not DMV), maybe a different company or policy would have a different radius or no radius. If you store it in a locked garage you might be able to insure it with a Classic/Hot Rod/ Antique type company at a much lower cost. Also, maybe I missed it, do you have a class A license with air brake endorsement? Welcome to California.

spectra3279

I'm going to have to see if it's actual commercial or the crappy forced commercial registration put on all privately owned trucks. Even pickup trucks.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks