• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Considering getting an LMTV in Wa State

rollie715

I’ve had some experiences years ago with older Deuces and 5-Tons and had a few M715’s, but just recently have been looking at the LMTV’s, particularly an M1078 w/winch.

I just recently retired and think this would be a great project to have.

So this is all new to me.

My questions today are:

1 - Can I find one in or close to Wa State? (I live in Bellingham, Wa.)

2 - What can I expect to pay for one in good drivable condition? With or without winch.

3 - What is involved and what costs are related to buying from places like GovPlanet?

4 - How much do they cost to ship?

5 - What is involved in getting one licensed?

6 - What does insurance cost?

I would appreciate any advice you guys have for me.

Thanks
Rollie

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are lots of people with them in the area several of them have YouTube channels such as Dave Anderson of helicools helipad, Chad of broke overland and Sean of fastidious restomods. I see many of them being auctioned off on Gov Planet, from Northern California near Mount Lassen which isn't too far from the Oregon border. Unfortunately I'd already purchased mine from Wisconsin when I started seeing them for sale near Mount Lassen.

Sent from my S62 Pro using Tapatalk

Lostchain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve had some experiences years ago with older Deuces and 5-Tons and had a few M715’s, but just recently have been looking at the LMTV’s, particularly an M1078 w/winch.

I just recently retired and think this would be a great project to have.

So this is all new to me.

My questions today are:

1 - Can I find one in or close to Wa State? (I live in Bellingham, Wa.)

2 - What can I expect to pay for one in good drivable condition? With or without winch.

3 - What is involved and what costs are related to buying from places like GovPlanet?

4 - How much do they cost to ship?

5 - What is involved in getting one licensed?

6 - What does insurance cost?

I would appreciate any advice you guys have for me.

Thanks
Rollie
Rollie

1. I just bought an M1078A1 w/winch in Puyallup, WA about 3 weeks ago. They come up from time to time in the Seattle and Portland area. I only ever look on Craigslist.

2. Looking at nice winch trucks on Govplanet seems expensive, but I only paid $16500 for mine private party, and it’s pretty much perfect. Just needed batteries, and lubrication on stuff from lack of use.

4. Dude I bought it from said it cost him $3500 to ship from Kentucky to WA in 2020

5. It was plated in WA with normal looking plates but the registration seemed to be commercial, it had verbiage about being subjected to federal drug testing. He said that he didn’t have any problems to speak of but the short VIN raised slight eyebrows. I think the main key is do not offer up that it is a military truck, it’s a flatbed cargo truck. He did have his registered in his business name, but I don’t think that’s a hard requirement. I think he was just writing the truck off on his taxes.

6. Insure with progressive commercial for personal use. His premium for a Seattle zip code was $726 annually for full coverage. Mine is like $100 bucks cheaper here in OR. Again, the short VIN raises an eyebrow, but you just append 11111s to get to the proper length.

Good Luck!!

BC02C135-CD14-490F-9952-0FB14BB78240.jpeg

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Couple thoughts:

Gov Planet generally has the worst condition trucks - they are the final resting place for all the units that no other agency wanted. The military gives preference to many other outlets before they end up at auction. Also once you win the auction you must apply and be approved for an EUC (End Use Certificate) before you can take possession - this often takes upwards of 6 months to be approved.

The factory self recovery winch is nice but it's PTO driven and requires that the engine be running, etc. A couple solid 24v 18,000 lb winches will do the job and don't require that you find a unicorn winch truck. And when you need parts or service for the winch it won't be as much of a problem. Just my opinion.

Price varies depending on age of the truck - significant difference in an A0 truck with the 3116 and an A1/R truck with a C7. Anything between $10,000 and $25,000 for a flatbed truck. If you want something exotic like an M1079 A1R with the van or an M1087 A1R.... expect to pay up for the pleasure. The last sale of a late model M1087 I know of was $75,000

Last edited:

Ronmar

I got mine from a GP auction outo of JBLM. The truck was located at their lot in Fife near tacoma narrows bridge, so about 2 hours to get it home to Port Angeles for me. These trucks go to excess for a reason, but I was looking fir a project truck and I got a very good deal… That was also just before they got to be really popular…

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks